First Merchants

3.1

First Merchants President, CEO, COO, and Director Mike Rechin
Mike Rechin

Teller

I have been working at First Merchants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

The pay could be better.

Nice environment

I have been working at First Merchants

Pros

Vacation, sick leave, 401K, stock options, etc. are fair. Co-workers in general are nice people to work with. Working conditions are great. Day shift, usually with no overtime. Sundays off and most Saturdays too.

Cons

The pay vs. responsibility isn't very good and raises are only 1 1/2%. Management is often unqualified to actually supervise (they may know the technical aspects, but are clueless how to lead or just don't care).

Train in true leadership not just bank management. Reconsider evaluations as they correspond to raise percentages

Review

I have been working at First Merchants full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are wonderful. Being affiliated with a banking institution we have many government holidays off. The hours are not too bad. No weekends, minimal travel.

Cons

The challenges of working here is that it is a very slow-paced environment. I am used to a very fast-paced schedule and find myself quite bored some days

I believe the management and leadership could oversee the employees more directly. Everyone does things differently and there is no cohesiveness.

Good Company

Former Employee - Operations in Daleville, IN

I worked at First Merchants full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company that likes to promote from within. A hard worker can build a great career. There are a number of great options for for getting more education as, at the time, the company was paying almost 75% of tuition costs. That's unheard of in today's economy!

Cons

Slow to change and salary management is a little weird.

Continue to build the company.

Ok to enter in banking but not a long term place

Former Employee - Treasury Analyst in Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Treasury Analyst in Muncie, IN

I worked at First Merchants full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Upper management is good, easily reachable

Cons

poor lower management and training

revise your lower management

Inconsistent workplace

I have been working at First Merchants full-time

Pros

Active in the communities they service, growing bank, leadership in Indiana is accessible and personable. Work-Life balance is good. Benefits as far as time off are very generous. Offer a lot of benefits to help employees save for the future, excellent 401(k) and stock purchase program.

Cons

Columbus, OH "leadership" is awful. Stay away unless you want your soul slowly drained. yelling, placing blame, backstabbing, and manipulation are the norm.
    At times, entire organization moves slowly to embrace changes and advancing with the times. Technology is far behind and allowing certain location to keep their different name does nothing to build one culture.

Overall Columbus leadership team and hold them accountable

Good community bank, strong management team with focus on growth

Former Employee - Operations in Daleville, IN

I worked at First Merchants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bank is big enough to have resources to get things done, small enough to actually be able to navigate change

Cons

Muncie and Daleville are hard cities to hire in. Moving headquarters to Indianapolis will improve the human resource situation

If bank acquisitions are going to the be the focus for growth, create a dedicated team to accomplish them. Constant effort there is straining the resources

Marketing Rep

I worked at First Merchants full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smaller company
    Good customer service, had a strong customer base at the office I worked in

Cons

One of the main branches in central Indiana had a very "good ole boy" atmosphere...it wasn't a fun place to work

Good professional experience, but very poor work culture.

I worked at First Merchants full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working for a bank gave me many opportunities to build my professional résumé, introducing me to the idea of exceptional customer service, exposing me to a world of corporate professionalism and business acumen as well as general corporate business etiquette. The company was very successful during my years there and the benefits offered were exceptional, including educational reimbursement, 3 weeks of vacation time plus 8 days of sick time each year that could accrue if not used. The Chief officers and director of HR were very kind and sincerely wanted their employees to educate themselves and be successful.

Cons

The culture was really the down side. A lot of opportunity existed, but it was difficult to perservere through the constant gossip, caddy managers, many of which that were uneducated and insecure about giving those that were educated opportunity in fear that they might be surpassed, consistent micromanagement, and a general anxiety was felt by most employees about changes that occurred. The company was extremely slow to adapt to new technology, I.E. still using Microsoft 2003 in 2012, and slow to adapt to modern industry changes concerning general work force preferences in dress code, working remotely when able, and flexibility in work schedules.

I would advise management to study the culture a little more closely and pin point what is causing the negativity. Also, exploring options of non traditional benefits such as relaxed dress code and remote access that cost the company nothing monetarily but can really show employees appreciation could go a long way. Listen to the employees and their exit interviews because they will tell you a lot about the rotten eggs sitting in management that may be much of the problem.

I enjoyed my job assisting customers with their questions and concerns.

Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Daleville, IN
    Former Employee - Call Center Agent in Daleville, IN

I worked at First Merchants

Pros

Benefits, salary, working conditions, fellow co-workers

Cons

Not enough info when new items were introduced.

Motr one-on-one for training