First Merchants

Be The First To
Add Photos

First Merchants President, CEO, COO, and Director Mike Rechin

Mike Rechin

Good community bank, strong management team with focus on growth

Operations (Former Employee)
Daleville, IN

I worked at First Merchants full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBank is big enough to have resources to get things done, small enough to actually be able to navigate change

ConsMuncie and Daleville are hard cities to hire in. Moving headquarters to Indianapolis will improve the human resource situation

Advice to Senior ManagementIf bank acquisitions are going to the be the focus for growth, create a dedicated team to accomplish them. Constant effort there is straining the resources

Marketing Rep

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at First Merchants full-time for more than a year

ProsSmaller company
Good customer service, had a strong customer base at the office I worked in

ConsOne of the main branches in central Indiana had a very "good ole boy" atmosphere...it wasn't a fun place to work

Good professional experience, but very poor work culture.

I worked at First Merchants full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWorking for a bank gave me many opportunities to build my professional résumé, introducing me to the idea of exceptional customer service, exposing me to a world of corporate professionalism and business acumen as well as general corporate business etiquette. The company was very successful during my years there and the benefits offered were exceptional, including educational reimbursement, 3 weeks of vacation time plus 8 days of sick time each year that could accrue if not used. The Chief officers and director of HR were very kind and sincerely wanted their employees to educate themselves and be successful.

ConsThe culture was really the down side. A lot of opportunity existed, but it was difficult to perservere through the constant gossip, caddy managers, many of which that were uneducated and insecure about giving those that were educated opportunity in fear that they might be surpassed, consistent micromanagement, and a general anxiety was felt by most employees about changes that occurred. The company was extremely slow to adapt to new technology, I.E. still using Microsoft 2003 in 2012, and slow to adapt to modern industry changes concerning general work force preferences in dress code, working remotely when able, and flexibility in work schedules.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to study the culture a little more closely and pin point what is causing the negativity. Also, exploring options of non traditional benefits such as relaxed dress code and remote access that cost the company nothing monetarily but can really show employees appreciation could go a long way. Listen to the employees and their exit interviews because they will tell you a lot about the rotten eggs sitting in management that may be much of the problem.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

I enjoyed my job assisting customers with their questions and concerns.

Call Center Agent (Former Employee)
Daleville, IN

I worked at First Merchants

ProsBenefits, salary, working conditions, fellow co-workers

ConsNot enough info when new items were introduced.

Advice to Senior ManagementMotr one-on-one for training

This Place Ain't What it Used to Be

Lafayette, IN

I worked at First Merchants

ProsPretty fair when it comes to time off. Adequate benefits. Nice facilities (new building). Talented, experienced employees by and large.

ConsSenior management in Muncie has all but removed the autonomy of the regional managers! They're "big bank wanna be's" pretending to be caring community bankers. It's a farce! There are VERY few empowered decision makers left in this office.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive up to your word! Also, pick a side: big bank or community bank; you can't be both nor can you be all things to all people.

A place to work until something better comes along

Department Manager (Former Employee)
Muncie, IN

I worked at First Merchants

ProsLiberal absentee policy. Close proximity to home.

ConsWhen I was initially hired, I would hear about the gender bias at First Merchants. I wish I had seen a posting such as this prior to being hired because this is essentially correct.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to come out of the 19th century and treat all employees equally. Very limited female representation in upper management. Truely is a glass ceiling here. The sad thing about it is that most individuals who work here seem to accept the second class citizen rating for the sake of a paycheck.

Worked for First Merchants? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Merchants reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for First Merchants CEO Mike Rechin. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by First Merchants employees.