First Midwest Bancorp

Add Photos

First Midwest Bancorp President, CEO, and Director Michael L. Scudder

Michael L. Scudder

Good career growth potential

ProsThere is good work life balance, career growth potential, good co-workers and executive management.

ConsI don't see many cons in my opinion as the company does a good job

The Toyota of Chicago banks - dependable, excellent value, uninspiring

Commercial Banking Officer (Former Employee)

ProsSupport and knowledge of senior management is excellent. Bank has a top-notch benefits program. 401k plan offers profit sharing and an excellent mix of investment options. Employees have access to an above average training department. Company's realistic goals promote work/life balance.

ConsUnfortunately bonuses are below industry average. Company follows the market and is definitely not an innovator. No brand recognition outside of southwest suburban market. Finally, unattractive branch offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace technology, invest in a marketing strategy, update appearance of current locations and allow employees horizontal mobility within the organization.

Work can be challenging and fulfilling. But old school thinking hinders processes and possible growth.

ProsChicago Tribune Top Workplaces for three years in a row.

ConsTechnology for employees is behind the times.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's not a top 25 workplace (Chicago Tribune) for no reason...

Marketing Decision Support Analyst (Current Employee) Itasca, IL

Pros-Rewarded for growth and performance
    -Obtainable promotions and value continued learning
    -Some great management throughout.
    -Small business feel
    -Many staff have been with company for a long time
    -Strong bank in the face of economic hardship
    -Focused on growth and advancement in the market

Cons-Recent restructuring leave several areas in an area of uncertainty.
    -Some "old school" thinking and executive leadership (beginning to change a bit)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing to further the company and the brand but don't lose sight of what makes First Midwest the choice for it's clients... the valued, tenured staff.

First Midwest is a great Chicagoland Bank

ProsSupportive of employees and management does not get in the way. You are given the authority and responsibility to meet the needs of your clients.

ConsDue to the size there is somewhat limited growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing the banks footprint

Great place to work at

Credit Analyst Intern (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL

ProsOpportunity to move advance
    Great work/life balance

ConsCompensation is less than other similar jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Ok Wish they worked with student schedule

Teller II (Current Employee)

ProsGood raises to begin with, loved my office, learned a lot about the field and how to be professional in an office setting.

ConsWouldn't work with me when I relocated. No other branch would accept my school schedule. After a year or so raises became smaller and smaller.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't worry about product pushing as much as servicing the customer with their transaction. Work with your employees when they wish to stay within the company.

Not the worst place to work, but not the best either

Position Within the Corporate Office (Current Employee) Itasca, IL

ProsWorkplace flexibility is something that many take advantage of, depending on the position (i.e. telecommuting, flexible hours). Benefits (i.e. Health/dental/vision) are available to both FT and PT employees. Option to buy/sell vacation.

ConsBenefits are expensive compared to other comparable companies, especially for PT employees. Paid holidays are the bare minimum (6/year). Pay is lower than similar banks in the area. 401K matching is not very generous. Vacation time does not roll over year to year. Opportunities for advancement are not readily available if working within the Operations sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the 401K match amount to promote more participation and attract employees to save more. Offer more paid holidays. Open more branches/offices directly west of Itasca (in DuPage/Kane counties).

I'm proud to be a First Midwest employee.

ProsFirst Midwest is a very well-run company, especially in comparison to most other banks our size in our market area. Senior management is good at communicating what's happening with the company at large, on a regular basis. It's great to be able to go out into our community and declare that while other banks are pulling back, we're still open for business, and committed to meeting the financial needs of our clients while seeking out new clients.

ConsIn a few instances, promotions seem to have been based on factors other than the employee's own merit. More competent, but less vocal, candidates for promotions tend to be overlooked.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work in communicating our message to the investing public and the employees. It would be great to see more exposure for FMB in the general market, like some of our competitors.

Good Place to work

Personal Banker (Current Employee) Highland, IN

ProsI enjoy working for First Midwest Bank because there are many opportunities to grow. For example, they offer many training classes through their "university" in which you can improve skills on products, sales, and even communication at no cost. Furthermore, there are opportunities to move up the corporate ladder here and I have always been encourage my management to continue to grow.

ConsOne of the downsides I would say is compensation. I think the pay is lower than some other banks but compensation for sales goals and health benefits make up for the factor.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and I would hope you will continue to expand and grow because I would like to see more exposure of First Midwest Bank. I think one of problems is people are not aware of who we are and what we represent as a bank. I think through increasing marketing and expansion First Midwest Bank can continue to be a community bank for more individuals.

Worked for First Midwest Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!