First Midwest Bancorp

Updated October 9, 2014
2.7

First Midwest Bancorp President, CEO, and Director Michael L. Scudder
Michael L. Scudder

Not up to par with larger banks

I have been working at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

Smaller work environment makes it possible for your voice to be heard louder.
    HR department listens to the employees and seems to care.
    Pretty good benefits.

Cons

Lack of resources, technology and people to accomplish all that they want to do.
    People do well based on how well they are liked - politics weighs heavily here and some people are in their positions due to who they are related to.
    There are many "lifers" at this company that don't like change and also don't like the new people that have come in.
    Lack of cooperation, accountability and responsibility from colleagues.
    Lots of blaming/pointing fingers.
    It's impossible to accomplish anything because nobody wants to make a decision, and this includes Senior Managers and Directors.

Thank you for hiring more people from the outside. The company needs more new blood, though, especially Senior-level Managers and Directors who aren't afraid to make decisions, take risks and be responsible.

Great place to work at

Former Employee - Credit Analyst Intern in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst Intern in Deerfield, IL

I worked at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

Opportunity to move advance
    Great work/life balance

Cons

Compensation is less than other similar jobs

Keep up the good work

Not the worst place to work, but not the best either

Current Employee - Position Within the Corporate Office in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Position Within the Corporate Office in Itasca, IL

I have been working at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

Workplace flexibility is something that many take advantage of, depending on the position (i.e. telecommuting, flexible hours). Benefits (i.e. Health/dental/vision) are available to both FT and PT employees. Option to buy/sell vacation.

Cons

Benefits are expensive compared to other comparable companies, especially for PT employees. Paid holidays are the bare minimum (6/year). Pay is lower than similar banks in the area. 401K matching is not very generous. Vacation time does not roll over year to year. Opportunities for advancement are not readily available if working within the Operations sector.

Increase the 401K match amount to promote more participation and attract employees to save more. Offer more paid holidays. Open more branches/offices directly west of Itasca (in DuPage/Kane counties).

Good Place to work

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Highland, IN
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Highland, IN

I have been working at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

I enjoy working for First Midwest Bank because there are many opportunities to grow. For example, they offer many training classes through their "university" in which you can improve skills on products, sales, and even communication at no cost. Furthermore, there are opportunities to move up the corporate ladder here and I have always been encourage my management to continue to grow.

Cons

One of the downsides I would say is compensation. I think the pay is lower than some other banks but compensation for sales goals and health benefits make up for the factor.

Keep up the good work and I would hope you will continue to expand and grow because I would like to see more exposure of First Midwest Bank. I think one of problems is people are not aware of who we are and what we represent as a bank. I think through increasing marketing and expansion First Midwest Bank can continue to be a community bank for more individuals.

Ok place to work, not the best, but not the worst either.

Former Employee - Banker in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Banker in Joliet, IL

I worked at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

Feedback is given on a regular basis in a set and fair way.

Cons

They hire outside employees and pay them more than employees who have been there for years. They will sometimes hire from outside even if there is a qualified person internally.

Senior management should work to eliminate the cliques present.

Terrible work atmosphere, but good pay and benefits - pick what's most important for you and decide

Former Employee - Teller in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Teller in Aurora, IL

I worked at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

Great Benefits - a lot of vacation from the first day on the job, good Health Insurance;
    Good Pay, compared to other similar companies.

Cons

Very bad mid management. Something is very wrong with those people. Disrespectful and unable to motivate employees. As a result, there is huge turnover, despite the great benefits.
    HR is terrible - not protecting employees rights, but rather trying to alienate them even more.
    Upper management has good intentions, but the whole strategy is poorly implemented because of the lack of coordination with the retail floor. They simply don't know what is going on in those branches - the information they're getting is filtered by branch managers to make them look good.

Find a way to better control that mid management and HR are in line with the mission of the company.

Overall, First Midwest is a great place to work!

I have been working at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

Benefits start on your hire date, They have a Profit Sharing & 401K plan, They offer flexible work hours. A lot of great co-workers.

Cons

Sometimes the communication from management is slow, but have found this in many companies.

More information could be shared on our Intranet.

First Midwest is a great Chicagoland Bank

I have been working at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

Supportive of employees and management does not get in the way. You are given the authority and responsibility to meet the needs of your clients.

Cons

Due to the size there is somewhat limited growth opportunities.

Keep growing the banks footprint

It is an ok experience. Too focus on numbers.

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

-Friendly Staff
    -Good atmosphere
    -Good training program

Cons

-Too rigid
    -Stuck in the box
    -Lack flexibility in schedule

Too focus on results, lose sight of what is important. More employee development and career advancement option and program as do most bank. Try to be innovators and leaders instead of followers.

Horrible

I worked at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

N/A, Easy commute and Nice building

Cons

Environment and cut throat people