First Midwest Bancorp Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. It's not a top 25 workplace (Chicago Tribune) for no reason...

Current Employee - Marketing Decision Support Analyst in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Decision Support Analyst in Itasca, IL

I have been working at First Midwest Bancorp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Rewarded for growth and performance -Obtainable promotions and value continued learning -Some great management throughout. -Small business feel -Many staff have been with company for a long time -Strong bank in the face of economic hardship -Focused on growth and advancement in the market

Cons

-Recent restructuring leave several areas in an area of uncertainty. -Some "old school" thinking and executive leadership (beginning to change a bit)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing to further the company and the brand but don't lose sight of what makes First Midwest the choice for it's clients... the valued, tenured staff.

2. Dissappointing

I have been working at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

It used to be a good place to work

Cons

Not into technology. Management is all about sales and nothing else. Environment in general is all negative

3. Decent - Not Great

Current Employee - Corp HQ Employee in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Corp HQ Employee in Itasca, IL

I have been working at First Midwest Bancorp full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility is good - but is greatly dependent on your manager. Raises have remained at at least 3% - even in sour economy. If you work hard, you will have the chance to move up - just not very fast.

Cons

Like anyplace lately - theme is do more with less. Staffs are lean and budgets never go up - but rather down. Innovation is not something that occurs here. Slow to market, slow to innovate. Silo'd - new executives have done little to change this - if anything, it is worse than in years past.

Advice to Management

Be willing to spend money on technology - both for employees and for client facing products. Its 2013 not 1996. Realize you can only become so lean before morale and loyalty go out the window.

5. First Midwest Bank Ampitheatre

Current Employee - VIP Security in Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - VIP Security in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at First Midwest Bancorp part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- free concerts - work only on weekends - meet interesting people/ celebrities - decent pay

Cons

- might not get paycheck on time - deal with unruly people - very loud - bathrooms are terrible

Advice to Management

cleaner bathrooms and please give us our check on time instead of losing it in the mail

6. Meh

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I worked at First Midwest Bancorp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Your average bank, with a few extrordinary employees.

Cons

If you can't say anything nice.....

Advice to Management

Clean house and get rid of your old Oaks. Also grow up and stop pretending that your'e really a fancy bathroom when you're really just an outhouse.

7. Not up to par with larger banks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Itasca, IL

I have been working at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

Smaller work environment makes it possible for your voice to be heard louder. HR department listens to the employees and seems to care. Pretty good benefits.

Cons

Lack of resources, technology and people to accomplish all that they want to do. People do well based on how well they are liked - politics weighs heavily here and some people are in their positions due to who they are related to. There are many "lifers" at this company that don't like change and also don't like the new people that have come in. Lack of cooperation, accountability and responsibility from colleagues. Lots of blaming/pointing fingers. It's impossible to accomplish anything because nobody wants to make a decision, and this includes Senior Managers and Directors.

Advice to Management

Thank you for hiring more people from the outside. The company needs more new blood, though, especially Senior-level Managers and Directors who aren't afraid to make decisions, take risks and be responsible.

8. Great place to work at

Former Employee - Credit Analyst Intern in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst Intern in Deerfield, IL

I worked at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

Opportunity to move advance Great work/life balance

Cons

Compensation is less than other similar jobs

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

9. Not the worst place to work, but not the best either

Current Employee - Position Within the Corporate Office in Itasca, IL
    Current Employee - Position Within the Corporate Office in Itasca, IL

I have been working at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

Workplace flexibility is something that many take advantage of, depending on the position (i.e. telecommuting, flexible hours). Benefits (i.e. Health/dental/vision) are available to both FT and PT employees. Option to buy/sell vacation.

Cons

Benefits are expensive compared to other comparable companies, especially for PT employees. Paid holidays are the bare minimum (6/year). Pay is lower than similar banks in the area. 401K matching is not very generous. Vacation time does not roll over year to year. Opportunities for advancement are not readily available if working within the Operations sector.

Advice to Management

Increase the 401K match amount to promote more participation and attract employees to save more. Offer more paid holidays. Open more branches/offices directly west of Itasca (in DuPage/Kane counties).

10. Good Place to work

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Highland, IN
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Highland, IN

I have been working at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

I enjoy working for First Midwest Bank because there are many opportunities to grow. For example, they offer many training classes through their "university" in which you can improve skills on products, sales, and even communication at no cost. Furthermore, there are opportunities to move up the corporate ladder here and I have always been encourage my management to continue to grow.

Cons

One of the downsides I would say is compensation. I think the pay is lower than some other banks but compensation for sales goals and health benefits make up for the factor.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and I would hope you will continue to expand and grow because I would like to see more exposure of First Midwest Bank. I think one of problems is people are not aware of who we are and what we represent as a bank. I think through increasing marketing and expansion First Midwest Bank can continue to be a community bank for more individuals.

11. Ok place to work, not the best, but not the worst either.

Former Employee - Banker in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Banker in Joliet, IL

I worked at First Midwest Bancorp

Pros

Feedback is given on a regular basis in a set and fair way.

Cons

They hire outside employees and pay them more than employees who have been there for years. They will sometimes hire from outside even if there is a qualified person internally.

Advice to Management

Senior management should work to eliminate the cliques present.

RSS Feed </> Embed