First Midwest Bank

Updated Mar 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Laird

Amazing culture, work flow, and environment!

Marketing Associate (Current Employee)
Itasca, IL

I have been working at First Midwest Bank full-time for less than a year

ProsAmazing culture, work flow, and environment!

ConsDealing with some of the branch managers or bankers in general can be a pain, but for the most part they are okay.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing!

Changing with the times

I have been working at First Midwest Bank full-time for more than 10 years

ProsManagement communicates a clear and motivating vision. If you have a good direct manager, work-life balance is excellent. Compensation and benefits are competitive, once you move a few steps up the ladder. Some unique, creative offerings to differentiate the bank on the retail side.

ConsLots of changes over the last few years have generated more of a "big bank" feel than a lot of longer-time employees might like. Technology is far from cutting-edge, but improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe next time you make a major change or reorganization, make sure the new systems are tested and working before the old ones are shut down. Even a plan with the brightest people and the best intentions behind it can still be hurt by a muddled roll-out.

Residential Lenders beware of antiquated mortgage operation

Residential Lender (Former Employee)

I worked at First Midwest Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are always friendly

ConsThe systems seemed outdated and mismatched

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeak directly to ground floor employees and conduct surveys regarding mid-managers

It's not a bad place to work but it's still a bank and all they care about at the end of the day is numbers.

I have been working at First Midwest Bank

ProsThey are trying to be a more technological bank but they waited a long time to start doing it, so they are playing catch up

ConsAll about hitting monthly goals and making calls, and not willing to be flexible with scheduling.

Stepping Stone

I have been working at First Midwest Bank

Pros- Great place to learn the intricacies of commercial banking
- The commercial analyst training program is excellent for the first year (core training)
- Upper management takes time to listen to your questions/concerns

Cons- Pay is not at market (annual pay increases are nominal and a joke)
- High turnover and understaffed to support demand
- Opportunity to progress is limited. (Officers who have recently graduated from the training program are still doing analyst work)
- High internal politics (Good old boys club)
- All systems are old and outdated with limited capabilities that are not user friendly

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a deep look at the management who are running the divisions/offices. You'll find all your answers to: Why isn't this working, happening, and how come this keeps reoccurring.

Good place to learn.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at First Midwest Bank full-time for more than 8 years

ProsMultiple areas to move between and learn about the financial business. Oppurtunity for growth. Some departments are great about showing how much they value your work.

ConsPay for some positioin was on the low side.

Decent. Too pushy with customers.

Teller II (Current Employee)

I have been working at First Midwest Bank part-time for less than a year

ProsGood starting pay for little experience.

ConsToo pushy on referral goals. They expect referrals in the first 3 months even though they claim that you don't need any until after you're done with training. They hire too many people and then downsize after hiring more employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't have your employees push products on the same clients continually.

Great group of people to work with.

I have been working at First Midwest Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros- Good work life balance
- Decent opportunities to grow within company's departments
- Good training program
- Great benefits

Cons- A lot of recent shakeups coming from the C-level. Restructuring is good for the company in the long run, however, the way its done is terrible. Many employees have left due to uncertanty regarding the future of their department and/or their position

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about changes and don't let it be surprises every time.

Eyeopening

Credit Analyst (Former Employee)
Deerfield, IL

I worked at First Midwest Bank as an intern for less than a year

ProsA lot of moody's spreading. Exposure to a lot of different companies. The Senior committees

ConsA lot of down time. The office is really old, the A/C constantly broke down.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore credit training classes

Some managers and employees stand out as exceptional... others avidly attempt to ruin the atmosphere.

Employee Relations (Current Employee)

I have been working at First Midwest Bank full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy manager in particular is very understanding, quick to hand me challenges and encourage me to succeed. He's been one of the consistent positive experiences for me. I'm consistently shown appreciation from him and fellow managers.

ConsThe work atmosphere in general is very negative, as of late. The higher management likes to do a company re-organization every nine months or so. People have been suddenly let go, demoted, shifted around, or given new job expectations without much warning or explanation. Communication from the "uppers" have always been poor but it's recently changing the atmosphere of the company drastically. Also, working with all women only enhances the level of negative gossip and unnecessary backstabbing.

Advice to Senior ManagementCOMMUNICATE if you want your employees to serve their client's with a bright attitude and a genuine smile.

Worked for First Midwest Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Midwest Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for First Midwest Bank CEO Robert Laird. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by First Midwest Bank employees.