First National Bank Omaha

Updated January 5, 2015
3.3

First National Bank Omaha President Daniel O'Neill
Daniel O'Neill

Pros
  • Management works with you ensure you have a good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• In return for the hard work, though, they give me great benefits and flexibility as a working parent (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • This is the result of poor senior management with a lack of vision (in 3 reviews)

• The work environment is suspicious of anything new or outside the box and tends to be a "Peyton Place (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great.

Current Employee - Intern in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Intern in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First National Bank Omaha as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work in Omaha. Very interesting business model and a lot to be learned about the business. Mangers are encouraged to empower employees.

Cons

Work environment could be more competitive. Other than this everything is great. Definitely a good place to start a career.

It was a decent experience

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at First National Bank Omaha full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most people friendly, some cared about you others just wanted it done and then move on.

Cons

Very traditional, conservative industry...we do things this way because we have to and can't change

LIke any job...some people liked you others didn't and wouldn't try to help you.

Poor communication

Former Employee - Customer Care Agent in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Care Agent in Omaha, NE

I worked at First National Bank Omaha as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Fairly good pay for being in Customer Service. Nice building and facilities.

Cons

Poor communication and expectations laid out for employees. For example, I worked as a temporary employee at First National Bank for a few weeks, and during that time, we went over a lot of basic credit card stuff with no structure really to the class, because they weren't sure as to whether another class was going to join us or not. Since I knew most of the basic credit card concepts, I let other's ask questions as they seemed to be pretty new to the credit card industry. After two weeks of training, I was let go, totally blind-sided. They never told me about any concerns they had or anything like that, just one day, they said I was being very professional, not sure what they were talking about, and said I was sleeping for hours during class. First of all, I will admit there were a few times I closed my eyes, relaxing, as other's in my class, seemed to not know how basic credit card concepts worked, so I relaxed, NEVER falling asleep. In fact, there was one day, our trainer, told a girl it was OK to sleep during class, but only this one time. Also, I have no idea why they think I was acting unprofessional. The class was extremely unstructured and disorderly, as the teacher frequently cussed during class and talked about borderline inappropriate things. So, to keep my sanity, especially with some controversial topics being talked about during class, I felt the need to speak up. The biggest thing I'm disappointed about is that they didn't let me know they had a problem, and lead me to believe everything was fine. I would've liked it if they would've talked to me about their problems with me and my behavior, as I did want to work at FNB. I'm only giving it 2 starts because I had a bad experience, overall, I think the company is good.

Don't blind-side people, its cowardly and hurting people more than you know. You say you want to develop a good family atmosphere, family doesn't abandon people once problems arise, they work through it.

Working as a credit analyst in Colorado is not a bad job...just a bad place to work.

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Fort Collins, CO
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Fort Collins, CO

I worked at First National Bank Omaha full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you work hard, or show a little effort, the job does provide for autonomy and you are left alone to complete projects. With that said, the less motivated employees will take advantage of the hard working employees while management’s goal is to bring all employees together as a team.

Cons

It would have to be local Colorado management. Management is so afraid of Omaha that they are willing to sacrifice productive employees for less productive employees just so that they can tell Omaha “yes we had full participation for this luncheon”.

You know who your productive and unproductive employees are, recognize that a bank is not a fraternity house and try to take care of your own.

call center job

I have been working at First National Bank Omaha

Pros

lots of friendly co-workers and usually over time availiable

Cons

Be prepared to use several systems per a call. The main down fall is way out dated systems. Sometimes using a ten to handle a simple question or two.

start fallowing through with what you say.

Senior engineer

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First National Bank Omaha full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Low stress, good work life balance

Cons

Slow pace. Can be boring. Hard for new person to get into fun projects.

Help to grow

Former Employee - Compliance Analyst in North Platte, NE
    Former Employee - Compliance Analyst in North Platte, NE

I worked at First National Bank Omaha full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, good work environment

Cons

Sometimes hard to move up

Good benefits, nice people, bureaucratic environment

I worked at First National Bank Omaha

Pros

Extremely nice coworkers, financial benefits are good, the work-life balance is also great. The wages are satisfactory and good in some other positions.

Cons

As with any large organization things get done really slow and after a lot of emails. Most of the projects are literally unnecessary by the time they are actually published. Finally what others have mentioned about silos is quite true.

Before major restructuring please at least get some feedback from the employees involved.

overall good place to build a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First National Bank Omaha full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Opportunity for career growth throughout FNBO & First Bankcard. The bank really does care about their employees.

Cons

Impossible to get anything done technology wise. Upper management expects high performance & high growth but will not give you the proper tools, technology resources, etc. to get things done. This really ties your hands on what you can do. Working with Legal is a nightmare & is a known problem that never REALLY gets addressed.

Senior Management needs to breakdown silos & listen to employees. More technology resources are needed if growth is expected. Don't freeze hiring as additional employees are needed in many areas to handle growth.

Employee & Customer-centric employer with family-friendly values & strong business ethics

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First National Bank Omaha full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

FNBO is a high-performing bank with high expectations. In return for the hard work, though, they give me great benefits and flexibility as a working parent. I've basically raised my two boys with the help of my employer, from maternity leave to child care to a summer camp that picks up/drops off my kids on site, this place is hard to beat! On top of that, the bank does a great job of developing leadership and fostering it up the corporate ladder.

Cons

Banking in general can be a bit behind other industries when it comes to technology, so that can be frustrating to understand what consumers expect and that we're a ways a way from fulfilling those expectations. I don't think that's unique to FNBO, though, and honestly, we're a bank; we need to make sure that whatever technology we invest in that it's not compromising the security of our customers' financials!

Even as you grow, keep in mind the traditional values you've built such a strong foundation upon - the green book!

First National Bank Omaha Photos