First National Bank of America

Updated Feb 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Very happy here!

ProsThe people here, the employees, the management, the owners, everyone is genuinely kind and caring. I'm not the nicest person in the world but I keep a smile on at work each day, and I honestly respect every one here. It's a happy work environment and a safe, secure feeling each day. They do the majority of their promoting from within, so people are always moving up!

ConsMy ONLY con is that they don't pay great.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more!

Family-owned bank with many different business ventures offering job flexibility to those who fit in the popular clique.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    East Lansing, MI

ProsCEO learns everyone's name. Very personable.
    Internal lateral job transfers common; not stuck in one position.
    Family-focused philosophy.
    Many side "perks" like food and special events.
    Community involvement very strong.

ConsLow pay.
    Little to no chance to climb company ladder. Upper level jobs held by family or friends of Executive Management.
    Managers of different business units operate under their own rules and only promote those who fit into their clique.
    Poor communication from managers to employees, especially re: job performance; frequently blindsided. Stated corporate requirement of weekly one-on-one meetings with supervisor. I had only 3 in one full year.
    Little willingness to communicate positively between business units. Causes much frustration.
    Women have almost no chance for meaningful advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak up the Executive Management cliques. Each floor seems to run differently, from HR policy adherence to communication. The condescending arrogance among management of most business units is palpable and demoralizing to employees.

low pay work weekend

Teller (Former Employee)
    Lansing, MI

ProsClosed at 4, face to face customer service

ConsLow pay. very strict. Rules very different depending on if you were with the "in" crowd or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementLighten up and pay more. Let your employee's sit

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It has been very rewarding.

Loan Officer (Current Employee)
    East Lansing, MI

ProsFirst National Bank of America promotes from within 95% of the time. The vision is clear and it is easy to see where your career path can take you with hard work on your part.

ConsThe employee cost sharing for health benefits seems high.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk for more input from front line staff.

Ok for a part-time job

Collector (Current Employee)
    East Lansing, MI

Pros401k for part-time employeees, $10/hour, very flexible scheduling for students, gifts on birthdays, team setting, possible bonuses, healthy competition between co-workers

ConsNo raises unless promoted to full-time status, not much recognition from upper management, very boring job, often feel like you are disposable, not doing valuable work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a collector is hard anywhere, but my fellow part-timers and I often felt like we weren't part of the team. There was a competition between part-timers in regards to how many payments each of us could get, but oftentimes certain employees had an unfair advantage.
    Overall, this is a great job for a student. $10/hour is a pretty good salary for a part-time job, and the managers are very flexible and understanding of a student schedule. You can work anywhere between 9am and 9pm, as long as you work at least a four hour shift. You also only have to work one Saturday a month.
    Also, many people in this department have quickly been promoted to other departments and college graduates have been offered full-time positions in almost every case, however this department is not ideal for someone with a bachelor's degree.

Worked for First National Bank of America? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First National Bank of America reviews and ratings. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by First National Bank of America employees.