First National Bank of America

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
3.5

CEO

Overall good experience. They reward diligence.

I have been working at First National Bank of America full-time

Pros

Great Culture. Good benefits. Good experience in diverse types of work.

Cons

The pay is constantly lower than industry standard. Entry level positions only work out if you have a second job or live with your parents.

Don't be afraid to reward diligent people who will ultimately make the company Great, not just Good. There seems to be high turnover in skilled positions which are where there needs to be long term commitment.

Family-owned bank with many different business ventures offering job flexibility to those who fit in the popular clique.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

I worked at First National Bank of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CEO learns everyone's name. Very personable.
    Internal lateral job transfers common; not stuck in one position.
    Family-focused philosophy.
    Many side "perks" like food and special events.
    Community involvement very strong.

Cons

Low pay.
    Little to no chance to climb company ladder. Upper level jobs held by family or friends of Executive Management.
    Managers of different business units operate under their own rules and only promote those who fit into their clique.
    Poor communication from managers to employees, especially re: job performance; frequently blindsided. Stated corporate requirement of weekly one-on-one meetings with supervisor. I had only 3 in one full year.
    Little willingness to communicate positively between business units. Causes much frustration.
    Women have almost no chance for meaningful advancement.

Break up the Executive Management cliques. Each floor seems to run differently, from HR policy adherence to communication. The condescending arrogance among management of most business units is palpable and demoralizing to employees.

Very happy here!

I have been working at First National Bank of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people here, the employees, the management, the owners, everyone is genuinely kind and caring. I'm not the nicest person in the world but I keep a smile on at work each day, and I honestly respect every one here. It's a happy work environment and a safe, secure feeling each day. They do the majority of their promoting from within, so people are always moving up!

Cons

My ONLY con is that they don't pay great.

Pay your employees more!

low pay work weekend

Former Employee - Teller in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Teller in Lansing, MI

I worked at First National Bank of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Closed at 4, face to face customer service

Cons

Low pay. very strict. Rules very different depending on if you were with the "in" crowd or not.

Lighten up and pay more. Let your employee's sit

It has been very rewarding.

Current Employee - Loan Officer in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at First National Bank of America

Pros

First National Bank of America promotes from within 95% of the time. The vision is clear and it is easy to see where your career path can take you with hard work on your part.

Cons

The employee cost sharing for health benefits seems high.

Ask for more input from front line staff.

Ok for a part-time job

Current Employee - Collector in East Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Collector in East Lansing, MI

I have been working at First National Bank of America

Pros

401k for part-time employeees, $10/hour, very flexible scheduling for students, gifts on birthdays, team setting, possible bonuses, healthy competition between co-workers

Cons

No raises unless promoted to full-time status, not much recognition from upper management, very boring job, often feel like you are disposable, not doing valuable work.

Being a collector is hard anywhere, but my fellow part-timers and I often felt like we weren't part of the team. There was a competition between part-timers in regards to how many payments each of us could get, but oftentimes certain employees had an unfair advantage.
    Overall, this is a great job for a student. $10/hour is a pretty good salary for a part-time job, and the managers are very flexible and understanding of a student schedule. You can work anywhere between 9am and 9pm, as long as you work at least a four hour shift. You also only have to work one Saturday a month.
    Also, many people in this department have quickly been promoted to other departments and college graduates have been offered full-time positions in almost every case, however this department is not ideal for someone with a bachelor's degree.