First Niagara Bank

Ok overall

Former Employee - Bank Teller
    Former Employee - Bank Teller

I worked at First Niagara Bank

Pros

Good culture that was positive always

Cons

Slow advancement, not the best marketing out there

Keep Improving so that company can continue to grow shares

Impersonal Bank. Cross your "T"'s and dot your "I"'s.

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at First Niagara Bank full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Once I got past the fact that no one wanted to train me at my express branch (smaller branch, run by branch manager who spent most of his time at the larger branch), and was moved over to the main branch; I really started to enjoy my job. I thought it wasn't a bad place to work, the team I was working with seemed to help each other out instead of throwing each other under the bus and didn't send dramatic emails to higher up's that I know of. First impressions, er-um- second impressions, can be misleading...The benefits were decent, the vacation time was good for a new employee, the pay was enough to live on (and take care of a child, if you have one). It seemed to be a place with mostly good staff of people working together as professionals... But the story continues...

Cons

Something you will get asked a lot by customers is, "Why do the faces around here change so much?" Because First Niagara doesn't care about their employees. They are based out of NY and they fire employees frequently with NY HR staff over the phone, that doesn't see that the employee has a good work ethic/is good with the customers/ brings other things to the table that balance out the staff...small banks keep their people- they give their employees warnings and write-ups before carelessly tossing aside their people... not sure about big banks. Medium sized banks are just finding ways to cut back on expenses (First Niagara).

I've seen files made on an employee who was otherwise a good employee- but not strong in sales, but knew most of the operational stuff and was not lazy. (yet, there are employees at other branches that make no attempt to sell anything, and are not very professional, and are still there. I'm sure it's just a matter of time though...This employee was pin-pointed, and when she was fired, several other branches chose an employee to fire (it was like an unsaid requirement).

And the bank decided to begin their restructuring not shortly after which included vague emails sent to employees from the president about bringing the employee closer to the customer (in other words, let's get rid of some of these middle positions, so we can save money-great way to scare all the managers away!!!).

Most branches in my area are understaffed 2-3 people; most of the managers fled for the sake of hoping to keep an income, or perhaps leaving the pressure of having to run two branches and maintain sales goals. An employee can get fired at any moment for making a mistake. I've heard of a guy getting fired because the manager would not work with him leaving early for two weeks to pick up his child from daycare. I've seen someone fired because they didn't send an email. I've seen people on final warning, because they made teller mistakes that they otherwise would have not made if A) either management was in place, or B) Management knew what they were doing....But who takes the blame when the manager doesn't know what they're talking about or the proper order to handle things? The unsuspecting teller who asked how she should handle the situation.

This idea of creating less management and supervisor positions combined with HR having the role of relieving employees of their positions is a bad mixture. There is no one to stand up for the employee who is not worthy of being fired. You want to know why some people still have their jobs (A: they know how to bend over and listen to their manager, even when their manager is wrong. They will volunteer to watch other employees and take down their lateness record- to the point of sick enjoyment, and they decide to add a few minutes to each lateness to make their fellow employee look worse...If you are late here and there by 5 minutes, watch your step. You create your schedule in the ADP system, there is no clocking in and out, unless you have a "cool" manager; your lateness will be documented and exaggerated. Do yourself a favor in a work environment of perfectionists and sales people faking it to make it (write down everything!, write down when you get to work, when you leave, how long your breaks are, document everything, document stuff on everyone else, not to throw them under the bus, but to protect yourself. If you make a mistake, document EVERYTHING, and EVERYONE involved.

I have worked at multiple branches. Some have a lot of nice, professional people who like dealing with other people and make each other look good instead of throwing each other under the bus.

Then there are employees scattered here and there that will document your mistakes (even though they have their own mistake-skeletons in the closet); that will push you out into the spotlight of the all-seeing eye of HR, the audit department, and upper management, instead standing up for you. If you want to brave working here, be cautious. Consider if your position could be a middle position that might be eliminated. Go into the branch you're interested in a few times, and observe the manager (maybe talk to him or her and gauge their personality); observe how the other employees work together- but still don't trust them, protect yourself! Planning on being behind the teller line? That is the easiest place to get fired. Do they have a teller supervisor or branch manager who will be able to train you? If no, stay away.

Probably not a good career move right now since the company is restructuring. If you like being risky, go for it! By the way, you might be asked to over-hire and then will be forced to choose someone to fire. Are you a sick sociopath? May be the job for you!...Oh and please take responsibility for your actions, don't let a teller go on her final warning because you made a bad decision. Oh, also be advised, you are just watching/maintaining branches, if you want to keep an employee, good luck, better know someone in HR, your personal opinion means little to nothing; just shut your mouth and let NY run the show...

Credit Analyst / Underwriter

I have been working at First Niagara Bank

Pros

Pay and benefits are OK. Work / life balance is good. Extended paid time off for higher pay grades. Coworkers generally nice.

Cons

Lack of unified culture. Management turmoil. Lack of training and career development. Nobody is willing to stick their neck out to drive change. Poor quality IT infrastructure.

Focus on people and process. Rebrand the company. Stop hiring consultants.

First Niagara - climbing the maturity curve

I worked at First Niagara Bank

Pros

A team of good people with all of the right skills and a sense of possibility.

Cons

FN is primping the company for acquisition after some bad M&A deals and this has created a negative and undcertain work environment - too bad as this company has great potential.

Messed Up

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at First Niagara Bank

Pros

Was only with the bank for a few months. Everything was good up until the new DM coming in and lied to my face,

Cons

The new DM, not knowing a good business development officer, the direction of the bank since they bought HSBC Branches. The bank thinks that they can run branches with no BDO

Sell the bank!

I would not recommend working here

I have been working at First Niagara Bank

Pros

I honestly can't think of any

Cons

Rules change on a daily basis, human resources is terrible, Back office - people are constantly being fired or replaced so you have no idea who you are working with. Management is not trained properly.

Hire managers not your friends. An educated experienced management team could do wonders in this bank

Great place to work

I have been working at First Niagara Bank

Pros

Great work life balance and positive work environment. Executives are engaged and available.

Cons

Some uncertainty and reorganization going on for the past 5 years. Lower salaries.

Sr. Customer Care Rep

Current Employee - Senior Customer Care Representative in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Care Representative in Albany, NY

I have been working at First Niagara Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work-life balance,Incentives. The people I work with are just wonderful I enjoy my customers. I work at in store branch which generate lots of traffic. Great 401k benefits.

Cons

Too much responsibilities for Little below average base pay, lots of sales pressure some people not will to work together.

should train staff once per month try to update computer software

Assistant Branch Manager

I have been working at First Niagara Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

flexible, customers are great, close to home, local and growing bank

Cons

pay, long work days, stress and job security

I liked the company!! The manager and upper management were awful!!

Former Employee - Bank Teller in Catskill, NY
    Former Employee - Bank Teller in Catskill, NY

I worked at First Niagara Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The customers were awesome. Met some really great people working for the company. And the benefits!

Cons

Too many titles. While working in a small branch there was a manager, head teller, back up head teller, ccrs who were treated like managers! And two tellers!

Managers needs to adhere to policies and procedures. Treat all employees equally. The handbook is for everybody not just certain individuals!!!