First Niagara Financial

Profile Unclaimed

IT: Nice People, Clueless Management

Former Employee - Software Developer in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Buffalo, NY

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

IT is young and vibrant at FNFG. The people are friendly and supportive. Times are tight for everyone, but if you have a good idea, they will usually find a way to fund it.

Cons

The other side of the "young and vibrant" coin is their inexperience. For an enterprise IT environment, it's still a pretty small organization and yet they want to be grown ups so bad, they tend to adopt unnecessary bureaucratic procedure just because that's what the big banks do.

Slow down growing the org chart, and focus on the people you already have. Say "no" to the lines of business when they want more work done than you have the people or experience to accomplish.

The company is a good company as long as you have the right management which I didn't.

Former Employee - Deposit Operation Generalist in Lockport, NY
    Former Employee - Deposit Operation Generalist in Lockport, NY

I worked at First Niagara Financial

Pros

They allow you to balance your work with your daily live, have a great benefit package, provide overtime at the time of merger which means extra money in our pockets.

Cons

Sometimes the work load is too little for everyone to go thru the day, however when someone quits or gets fired they take a long time to get replaces and one time from 7 in a department we went down to 3 & the work load increased excessively as you may immagine, however they did nothing to hire someone to help.

It is important to treat everyone equally, even when you have differences with one or two employees, because it is greatly noticeable.

It was okay.

Former Employee - Teller in Downingtown, PA
    Former Employee - Teller in Downingtown, PA

I worked at First Niagara Financial

Pros

Helps you learn about banking.

Cons

Customer service is a big part of the job.

Longer hours, open later than 5pm.

So so.

I have been working at First Niagara Financial

Pros

Good people to work with. Lunch is often provided at no cost. Recently acquired HSBC branches throughout north east. Cool logo.

Cons

Difficult to move up or even laterally. Some lazy people have found their way to the top. May be expanding to quickly.

Look to some of the youner employees during expansion. Some of the old guard still can't scan and e-mail a document in less than 5 minutes.

Great

Current Employee - Great Place to Work
    Current Employee - Great Place to Work

I have been working at First Niagara Financial

Pros

medical/dental coverage costs life insurance great 401k plan, immediate vesting for the 401k plan

Cons

distance between employment and home is long

no advice

I like to work here but the salary leaves much to be desired.

Current Employee - Loan Servicer in Lockport, NY
    Current Employee - Loan Servicer in Lockport, NY

I have been working at First Niagara Financial

Pros

The best reason for me to work at First Niagara Bank is the fact that I have 5 weeks vacation

Cons

The management has a major problem with letting the employees know that they are appreciated.
    Except for a Chosen few.

Think of everybody when there are reviews, everyone needs more money not just a small percentage.

One headache after another

I have been working at First Niagara Financial

Pros

decent pay for a bank and good benefits

Cons

lousy training and managers who do nothing but sit at their desks all day. If help is needed, I have to walk all around to find someone.

Team leaders should actually get up once in awhile and walk around and see if anybody needs help.

Dissapointed

Current Employee - Senior Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Developer

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than a year)

Pros

PLenty of work, small company, great teams to work with.

Cons

Management is creating a gap between them and employees. Hostile work environment. Unwilling to listen or change. Only thing that matters is looking like they are making progress. All the decissions are being made by contractors.

Change. Keep your promise of bringing work inhouse. Pick a strategy and direction and stick to the plan. See it through.

Disconnected

Former Employee - Financial Consultant
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time

Pros

Small regional bank with good presence

Cons

False expectations set. Company felt unclear with its direction. Pay was not on par with similiar competitors.

WPA wants out!

Former Employee - No Thanks in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - No Thanks in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The culture that is created in most branches are special and unique...for the most part and it's a job in a bad economy.

Cons

This place is falling apart at the seams. Terrible leadership and no direction. Employees are over worked as jobs have been over the past two years. Branch staff can not take a lunch b/c of staff shortages. Advancements are often given to good old boys club rather than individuals that actually work hard and deserve it. No supplies no water no marketing whatsoever no technology no customers no presence. Oh yeah...we are going double and triple your goals. Wonder why they would do that???? Nothing makes sense at First Niagara.

Respect your employees for what they do everyday in the extremely poor environment in which you have created. Most are disengaged, fed up, and over it.