First Niagara Financial

First Niagara Financial President, CEO, and Director John R. Koelmel
John R. Koelmel

So so.

I have been working at First Niagara Financial

Pros

Good people to work with. Lunch is often provided at no cost. Recently acquired HSBC branches throughout north east. Cool logo.

Cons

Difficult to move up or even laterally. Some lazy people have found their way to the top. May be expanding to quickly.

Look to some of the youner employees during expansion. Some of the old guard still can't scan and e-mail a document in less than 5 minutes.

Great

Current Employee - Great Place to Work
    Current Employee - Great Place to Work

I have been working at First Niagara Financial

Pros

medical/dental coverage costs life insurance great 401k plan, immediate vesting for the 401k plan

Cons

distance between employment and home is long

no advice

I like to work here but the salary leaves much to be desired.

Current Employee - Loan Servicer in Lockport, NY
    Current Employee - Loan Servicer in Lockport, NY

I have been working at First Niagara Financial

Pros

The best reason for me to work at First Niagara Bank is the fact that I have 5 weeks vacation

Cons

The management has a major problem with letting the employees know that they are appreciated.
    Except for a Chosen few.

Think of everybody when there are reviews, everyone needs more money not just a small percentage.

One headache after another

I have been working at First Niagara Financial

Pros

decent pay for a bank and good benefits

Cons

lousy training and managers who do nothing but sit at their desks all day. If help is needed, I have to walk all around to find someone.

Team leaders should actually get up once in awhile and walk around and see if anybody needs help.

Dissapointed

Current Employee - Senior Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Developer

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

PLenty of work, small company, great teams to work with.

Cons

Management is creating a gap between them and employees. Hostile work environment. Unwilling to listen or change. Only thing that matters is looking like they are making progress. All the decissions are being made by contractors.

Change. Keep your promise of bringing work inhouse. Pick a strategy and direction and stick to the plan. See it through.

Disconnected

Former Employee - Financial Consultant
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time

Pros

Small regional bank with good presence

Cons

False expectations set. Company felt unclear with its direction. Pay was not on par with similiar competitors.

WPA wants out!

Former Employee - No Thanks in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - No Thanks in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The culture that is created in most branches are special and unique...for the most part and it's a job in a bad economy.

Cons

This place is falling apart at the seams. Terrible leadership and no direction. Employees are over worked as jobs have been over the past two years. Branch staff can not take a lunch b/c of staff shortages. Advancements are often given to good old boys club rather than individuals that actually work hard and deserve it. No supplies no water no marketing whatsoever no technology no customers no presence. Oh yeah...we are going double and triple your goals. Wonder why they would do that???? Nothing makes sense at First Niagara.

Respect your employees for what they do everyday in the extremely poor environment in which you have created. Most are disengaged, fed up, and over it.

It's ok

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phila, PA

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good team environment and culture

Cons

Unorganize and the training is sub par

Pay attention

Could Be Worse, Could Be a Lot Better

Current Employee - No Thanks in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - No Thanks in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It seems that most individuals have good intentions, provide good customer service and care about the company. There appears to be a strong business plan and an emphasis from Senior Management on carrying that plan through. The company is ambitious and all the acquisitions seem to have worked out.

Cons

The "happy" culture they promote is fake. They overwork and undervalue employees. The environment is cutthroat. All the acquisitions brought in too many different groups of people and nobody has direction except for where they used to work.
    Many mid-level managers are power hungry and have no problem throwing an employee under the bus in order to save themselves. Employees who give even the slightest push back receive retaliation and are outcast and made to feel bad.
    What we use in the branches works for the most part but it takes too long to get customers what they need. Even small transactions take too long and there are a lot of headaches. Equipment breaks a lot compared to where else I been.
    No appreedciation and unrealistic expectations and they keep quietly cutting jobs and we are expected to pick up the work of people who leave or are let go without bringing in more people.

They don't care. They live in a different environment than we do and don't see, or care to see, what's really going on.

Clear lack of direction and very poor senior level communication skills

Current Employee - Team Leader in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Co-workers
    OK Salary for WNY
    OK Benefits
    Flexible time/shifts

Cons

Zero advancement in IT unless you come from outside the company.
    Lack of focus/too many projects in flight.
    Heavy effort to out source all services they can.
    Sr. IT Leadership are all talk/no action.
    More project mangers then they know what to do with.

Start at the top and work down quick. The relationship between IT and business units is horrible and only getting worse. Pick a handful of projects and work on those to completion. Listen to the people in the trenches instead of high priced/low yield consultants.