First Niagara Financial

Philly region

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Harleysville, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Harleysville, PA

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people I worked with daily. My vacation and flexibility since my supervisor was in Buffalo.

Cons

They lay people off left and right.
    They don't know the market they got into when they bought Harleysville National Bank.

Know your market and stop putting fluff in your employees ears about the culture and how great it is. Not really that great if you're laying off employees all the time. If they would have done proper due diligence they wouldn't need to lay good people off.

Good company but trying to grow too fast

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people you work with and for want you to succeed. They have assembled a team of people from a ton of great organizations and they are attempting to build a new leader in banking. They put lots of focus around organizational development, engagement, and transparency. I am a top performer and I get constant regonition for my production and leadership.

Cons

The problems are around the fast expansion of the company. They had four purchases within four years and went from a savings thrift bank to a top 25 within that time. As a result, everything is constantly changing and no one can keep up. The communication is terrible and the incentive program does not reward. Although you get recognitinon, if money is a concern this is not the place to be. Due to all the purchases the budget is tight and they don't pay for performance. It often feels like the people at the top want to be running a large bank so badly that they don't care how their employees are affected and how much they have to deal with from the public.Lastly, there is little room for advancement since the company is still generally small and doesn't have a range of available positions.

Reward employees and don't make them feel like sales machines. Sometimes the goals can stay relatively stagnant from year to year. Raising a goal and then unofficially raising it by 20% more puts employees in a stressful position.

IT: Nice People, Clueless Management

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Buffalo, NY

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

IT is young and vibrant at FNFG. The people are friendly and supportive. Times are tight for everyone, but if you have a good idea, they will usually find a way to fund it.

Cons

The other side of the "young and vibrant" coin is their inexperience. For an enterprise IT environment, it's still a pretty small organization and yet they want to be grown ups so bad, they tend to adopt unnecessary bureaucratic procedure just because that's what the big banks do.

Slow down growing the org chart, and focus on the people you already have. Say "no" to the lines of business when they want more work done than you have the people or experience to accomplish.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The company is a good company as long as you have the right management which I didn't.

Former Employee - Deposit Operation Generalist  in  Lockport, NY
    Former Employee - Deposit Operation Generalist in Lockport, NY

I worked at First Niagara Financial

Pros

They allow you to balance your work with your daily live, have a great benefit package, provide overtime at the time of merger which means extra money in our pockets.

Cons

Sometimes the work load is too little for everyone to go thru the day, however when someone quits or gets fired they take a long time to get replaces and one time from 7 in a department we went down to 3 & the work load increased excessively as you may immagine, however they did nothing to hire someone to help.

It is important to treat everyone equally, even when you have differences with one or two employees, because it is greatly noticeable.

It was okay.

Former Employee - Teller  in  Downingtown, PA
    Former Employee - Teller in Downingtown, PA

I worked at First Niagara Financial

Pros

Helps you learn about banking.

Cons

Customer service is a big part of the job.

Longer hours, open later than 5pm.

So so.

I have been working at First Niagara Financial

Pros

Good people to work with. Lunch is often provided at no cost. Recently acquired HSBC branches throughout north east. Cool logo.

Cons

Difficult to move up or even laterally. Some lazy people have found their way to the top. May be expanding to quickly.

Look to some of the youner employees during expansion. Some of the old guard still can't scan and e-mail a document in less than 5 minutes.

Great

Current Employee - Great Place to Work
    Current Employee - Great Place to Work

I have been working at First Niagara Financial

Pros

medical/dental coverage costs life insurance great 401k plan, immediate vesting for the 401k plan

Cons

distance between employment and home is long

no advice

I like to work here but the salary leaves much to be desired.

Current Employee - Loan Servicer  in  Lockport, NY
    Current Employee - Loan Servicer in Lockport, NY

I have been working at First Niagara Financial

Pros

The best reason for me to work at First Niagara Bank is the fact that I have 5 weeks vacation

Cons

The management has a major problem with letting the employees know that they are appreciated.
    Except for a Chosen few.

Think of everybody when there are reviews, everyone needs more money not just a small percentage.

financial advisor

I worked at First Niagara Financial

Pros

growing company and great management

Cons

pay structure in banking is going down

none

Fast growing bank who are attempting to build a infrastructure to support the growing business.

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time for more than a year

Pros

Heavy investment in IT coming in the near future. Lots of opportunity to find a project that interest you.

Cons

Infastructure is lacking. Company grew to fast and focused more on acquisitions then it did profitablility and internally.

Worked for First Niagara Financial? Contribute to the Community!