First Option Mortgage

Updated Jun 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tim Burford

Surprised at previous reviews!

ProsThe opportunity for growth is limitless. Management saw my desire for growth within the company and knew I had experience that was best suited in a department outside of my sales role. When the opportunity came available, I was moved into a position that placed in the desired department that suited my background experience prior to the mortgage world.

From a sales side First Option has one of the most competitive comp. plans out there, especially if you generate your own business. They also provide the sales team a plethora of marketing tools and agent referrals that will only set your business up for further success.

ConsCommunication is something that many companies struggle with. However, there has been huge changes within the past 3 months to make open dialogue a reality, rather than a goal.

Some people mentioned high turnover, which holds truth to the sales side. However, if you’ve ever worked in the mortgage industry, you’ll know this is something common amongst every company.

Decent place to start your career in the loan business, but don't expect to get rich here.

Loan Officer (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent marketing--radio advertisements. Friendly co-workers (for the most part). You get your own office. Lots of autonomy. You get to conduct your business the way you see fit. Not much micromanagement compare to most companies. Great experience for those who want to start out in sales or in the loan business.

ConsLow pay, high turnover, overly lean operations staff (there is one processor that handles the loan files of multiple offices), leadership is greedy. Hard work for low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more. Hire more employees in a support capacity. Don't always try to do more with less.

Just kinda.... meh...

ProsThe work environment is laid back and fun.
    The holiday party is a nice chance to meet everyone and let loose with your coworkers.
    There is potential to make good money, you just have to work really hard for it and know the business.

ConsNot much room for advancement if you're not a loan officer unless you want to move to Atlanta
    Training is essentially being given a handout and a pat on the back. "You'll figure it out..."
    No yearly reviews or annual raises for hourly employees
    Turnover is high
    Some members of management have a less than professional management style and can frankly be quite rude while others are extremely motivational and supportive
    Lower level employees get burdened with a lot more work for very little pay

Advice to Senior ManagementI recommend focusing on proper training and guidance for new loan officers to decrease turnover. Compensate the hourly employees better so they feel appreciated and motivated to complete all of the backend work they are tasked with. Increase vacation/PTO.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a job.

ProsThe best reason to work here is to pay your bills on time. Hours are 830-6 unless it's busy, than it's be here til it's done--as with any company.

ConsTraining provided is less than effective, all new employees feel completely lost in the beginning unless their previous company used the same system.
    Management is constanly changing in my office so there's little to no stability granted. In one year I have had 3 managers.
    Retaining employees does not happen here either. In a year, over ten people have left the office and went on to other places...This is not just my branch, but others as well.
    Constant turnover provides no stability and brings morale down.
    The workload for those "lower level" employees keeps increasing but the pay stays the same.
    There are no annual raises and PTO is less than competitve.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining needs to be more inclusive of the systems, policies, file movement and overlays used. Too many people are coming in and out, need to work on employee retention also.

Room for growth, however poor management skills across the board.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a relaxed environment, and they do offer room for growth as long as you show an interest in moving up and a willingness to work hard

ConsThey are not very honest or straight-forward with you, and your ability to remain with the company is strongly based on who you rub elbows with

My period of employment with First Option Mortgage was different from what I have been experienced in the past.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsVery nice office and location

ConsLimited growth opportunities, lack o support from management

First Option Mortgage, A Great Place to Work

Loan Officer (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsFantastic work environment, family style approach to management, and great compensation

Conslong hours, but it is worth it

depends on the branch

Senior LO (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

Prosthey can close loans fast

Conssome of the managers are awful, some are great. corporate support depends on which branch you are in

Worked for First Option Mortgage? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Option Mortgage reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for First Option Mortgage CEO Tim Burford. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by First Option Mortgage employees.