First Quality

Great company to start Career

Former Employee - Customer Service in McElhattan, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in McElhattan, PA

I worked at First Quality

Pros

I really enjoyed my team at First Quality. Everyone was very willing to help me learn as a recent college graduate when I took the position. The technology and research at this company was amazing, and I had the opportunity to train on various areas in my department, and learn about other departments as well.

Cons

Hard to move up unless you've been there for a long time.

Continue to train and invest in your employees.

First Quality Non-Wovens - Brown nosing is the only way to get ahead.

I worked at First Quality

Pros

Company store, benefits are ok.

Cons

Company seems to get rid of the talent and keep the employees who are only interested in making money and obtaining power. These same employees will stab their closest co-workers in the back if they know they can get ahead. The only way to get ahead with this company is to continuously flatter management and pretend to know what you are talking about even when there are more qualified/dedicated co-workers around.

See through the phony attitude of some employees and do what is right for the company, not what is right for your ego.

Decent entry level job

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Macon, GA

I worked at First Quality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is better than minimum wage and the benefits are pretty good. The option for overtime was there when I first started working but slowly disappeared. Company seems committed in moving forward.

Cons

Sometime this year First Quality started hiring employees without giving them a mechanics test or requiring them to take the work ready test making it more difficult for previous employees who were expected to babysit and pick up the slack for the newly hired employees. This job is also a 12 hour swing shift which is fairly rough if you have not worked it before.

Your training programs could be better. I would advise to bring back the requirements previously in affect for the hiring procedure.... even if it would require a slightly higher pay.

the experience gave me more knowlege

Current Employee - control tech in Lock Haven, PA
    Current Employee - control tech in Lock Haven, PA

I have been working at First Quality full-time (less than an year)

Pros

the people that work there are great to talk to and to learn from

Cons

its a 24/7 operation so the hours can be very long

in my position instead of relying on one tech per shift there should be 2 so we can work more in a team inviroment

Nightmare job

Former Employee - Junior Management in Anderson, SC
    Former Employee - Junior Management in Anderson, SC

I worked at First Quality full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay & benefits were okay considering I was just a college grad.

Cons

This company has no grasp of any kind of organized organizational structure. People are scattered everywhere throughout the plant, and management has very little resources presented to even understand. They seem to be very intent on disguising where heirarchies exist, most likely as a means of making employees feel isolated and forcing down wages.

They made me sign a non-compete agreement, which has kept me from getting some particular jobs since that time. They are a very authoritarian company, and it is management policy for all employees- even management level workers such as engineers, buyers, and accountants - to wear their dreadful uncomfortable blue collared tee-shirts. Every. Day.

They're also crazy about security, apparently owing to some breaches with corporate espionage in the past, and that makes everyone's lives more difficult, as well, with badges and scan-ins and the like.

I don't want to give advice to management, because I don't want this company to succeed. A poisonous company culture bleeds down and impacts every worker, from top to bottom. Hopefully this is one of those instances where they will drink the poison and it will make them fail. I'd rather give advice to workers, which is - unless you're desperate for some reason for a job, don't get in there, don't experience the toxic culture. Stay far away from this company.

Decent company, bad training

Former Employee - Electro Mechanic Technician in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Electro Mechanic Technician in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at First Quality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clean environment, promotes from within. Safety culture in place. No tolerance for bad attendance. Everyone seem friendly and they have an open door policy.

Cons

Training is up in the air, they assign EMT's to lines just to watch what others do. Long hours of standing around waiting for the day to be over. If there is a bad storm and the Governor or Mayor declare a state of emergency, they expect you to come in, which contradicts their whole attitude about safety.

Pay in the area is higher. Be a bit more considerate of the safety of the employees outside of work.

Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at First Quality as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

State of the art technology. Generally friendly people. Incentives and decent pay.

Cons

Ownership approval needed for everything. All doings of the company kept "top secret" to even their own employees. High turnover.

Inform employees of what to expect with the company. Hire from within for management positions. Stop hiring individuals because of the family relationships but on their credentials and abilities.

Good experience

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at First Quality

Pros

Something new to work on daily. Coworkers are enjoyable. You will learn something new on a daily basis. Hard work is recognized.

Cons

Can become stressful with continuous multitasking required.

A learning experience

Current Employee - Production Technician in Macon, GA
    Current Employee - Production Technician in Macon, GA

I have been working at First Quality full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Climate controlled facility, State of the art equipment, open door policy, no experience required for entry level techs

Cons

Compensation, mill turn shifts, benefits, high turn over rate

Compensation should be addressed for the newer hires. The employees that have been employed with the former company are on a different pay scale then the people that came in under First Quality.

A company with a lot of potential, but poor leadership.

Former Employee - Engineering Design in McElhattan, PA
    Former Employee - Engineering Design in McElhattan, PA

I worked at First Quality full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company offered me internship during summer, and a part time position during the remainder of my schooling. This lead to a full time position once I graduated. Department had the latest of tools and software, which made it enjoyable.

Worked around my schedule, flexible hours, Quarterly incentive, year end bonus, all good things.

Cons

The particular position was under-appreciated, so it led to poor compensation for the responsibility.

I was laid off in the mass lay off of October 2012. No understanding to why such a large layoff, rumors lead towards a legal misfortune.

In conversation with another employee at my currently location I casually told them I worked at FQ for almost 5 years and he was shocked someone stuck it out that long. He had hired multiple people who left there looking for better opportunities.

A company works better when everyone is on the same page. We heard about new plants/projects from contractors and other external people before it was announced internally.

Try to lead the market in a few things instead of always playing catch up and skirting the line of patent infringement.