First Republic (CA)

Updated December 4, 2014
3.2

First Republic (CA) Chairman and CEO James H. Herbert II
James H. Herbert II

Pros
  • Co-workers are extremely competent and focused on customer service both internal and external (in 6 reviews)

• The bank is full of good people, and the subsidized cafe is a nice thing to have (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, it is almost frowned upon if you only work an 8 hour day (in 5 reviews)

• Budget cuts interfere with department goals while upper management continues to pressure for results (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyed working for a forward-looking, fast-growing, entrepreneurial-minded organization that rewards contributors.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation was above average; culture was generally supportive of a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

Organizational structure and multiple layers of systems contributed to inefficiencies and strained working relationships between groups.

Support employees' requests and need for professional development regardless of their level of employment.

Great People

Current Employee - Information Systems
    Current Employee - Information Systems

I have been working at First Republic (CA)

Pros

-Members of the management team do care about their employees and their well being
    -Subsidized Cafe
    -Co-workers can be wonderful to work with and can be collaborative
    -There can be growth if you work hard
    -Company has great values, but not necessarily always followed.

Cons

-Some senior managers do not care at all about the well being of their employees
    -We are a fast paced environment and often hire individuals who may get the job done, but are not the right personality fit. Recently, we have been hiring people who get around by cutting corners and stepping on people, which does not fit with the values of the company
    -The company does a bad job on promoting people based on how hard they work or skill set.
    -Our company strives to be the best in customer service, which is wonderful, but at the same time it causes there to be a minimal work life balance for those who do their jobs well. There is a work life balance for some jobs in the company and for those who do not do their job well.

Take the time to really look at the new management you are bringing into the group. You will continuously lose your strongest employees if you hire managers who are only concerned with metrics, numbers, or how they look to their bosses and above. Your people are your strongest assets.

horrible management in deposit operations

Current Employee - CAR in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - CAR in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Peers and co-workers can be really wonderful, cheap cafe, great benefits

Cons

management in deposit services is terrible. They sweep problems away instead of addressing them. They have hire individuals into management roles who only do their bidding instead of helping the folks on the team. If you're going to work for this team stay on the client facing team not the other as the management is stronger on that side. The golden child of current BSA/AML functions is condescending and rude AND is dating one of the individuals within her purview. There is no concern for the well being of the staff and when complaints are made they are quickly squashed. The team plays favorites while the majority of the team takes the brunt of the work and verbal abuse.

Don't hide problems. Take care of your people. People from top really need to really spend time with the people below. Don't hide your issues, take care of them! Really look at the line managers on your teams and the bosses that seem to protect or hide their inadequacies.

Entrepreneurial spirit

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees, fun atmosphere, limited bureaucracy. Make what you want of your career here - you aren't placed into a box and can only stay put or move up on that one track, you can make the most of your career and do whatever you want to do.

Cons

Basically no work-life balance. Needs to start to be more competitive with the rest of the job industry in allowing flex-time/personal days/work from home benefits/etc.

If you want First Republic to act like a start-up an attract entrepreneurial individuals, you need to offer the same perks that those other companies offer.

Entrepreneurial, independent yet collaborative work environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are ready to work hard and really care about the work you put out, this is a great place to work. If you are looking for a 9 AM to 5 PM job, this isn't the place for you. I am empowered and encouraged to represent the Bank to the best of my ability each and every day. I am trusted to bestow the Bank's vision upon our new hires. My career path is what I make of it and I am happy.

Cons

Some internal systems are outdated.
    New hire onboarding process is cumbersome and delayed.

Can get away with a great deal.

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time

Pros

Eagle Café, downtown SF location, & reputation of the bank

Cons

It is a sad reality knowing one of my peers got his job because he is in a relationship with another associate who has since been promoted (although they rarely speak to one another it seems). What is even more ridiculous is the fact that this has gotten away with a ton of things that are against corporate workplace rules.

Be more thorough when it comes to interviewing and hiring employees. Allow for training & shadowing opportunities across departments.

Trying to hold on to the good things

I have been working at First Republic (CA) (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great locations, some amazing people, great client relationships, solid brand, excellent markets, history of being nimble and flexible. Really great company values.

Cons

Silos, infighting, politics, distrust, and apathy. Individuals in very senior positions are "checked out" and it has been allowed to languish and hasn't been addressed. We've lost that "start-up" feel as we have hired more and more people from long established banks and large companies who expect a very different work pace and balance.

Your vision is not being shared equally across the company. You are relying on your senior managers to spread your message but it is not happening. You need to be in closer contact to ALL of the employees here at the bank, spend time on every floor and with every team. We need to pry open the closed office doors and you need to lead by example.

The mismanagement of the Deposit Services area.

Current Employee - CIF Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First Republic has a great 401K retirement plan. The subsidized cafe is a fun perk. The company's intranet is a great resource for both researching polices and locating staff.

Cons

Deposit services function was to support various departments, branches, and clients. Those days are over. There is no team work as that is discouraged. If you did not come from Union Bank, then there will be no room for advancement. The accountability program implemented by the upper management is a sham. It is a very unhealthy place to work.

Please look into why upper management needs to continually hire consultants and temps. They are constantly adding layers under themselves to try to protect themselves. As they get rid of staff who understood their jobs and the First Republic philosophy, the amount of fines will increase in dollar amounts as they disregard governmental regulations. I see a cease and desist order coming soon.

data analyst

I have been working at First Republic (CA)

Pros

people are nice. Cheat meal.

Cons

high work load, and overtime

First Republic bank is a place that you can grow a career.

Current Employee - Branch Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best reason to work here is that they treat there employees well and pay well

Cons

There are not many locations of branches like the big banks.

First Republic (CA) Photos