First Republic (CA) Reviews

101 reviews filtered by
3.2
First Republic (CA) Chairman and CEO James H. Herbert II
James H. Herbert II

Pros
  • Co-workers are extremely competent and focused on customer service both internal and external (in 6 reviews)

• The bank is full of good people, and the subsidized cafe is a nice thing to have (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, it is almost frowned upon if you only work an 8 hour day (in 5 reviews)

• Budget cuts interfere with department goals while upper management continues to pressure for results (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Never a Dull Moment: High Growth, Fast Paced, Meritocracy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people. I am fortunate to work with some truly amazing people who are incredibly smart and experienced and who have high standards for themselves, work hard, enjoy what they do and know how to have fun. I get to work with people who have a passion for service, enjoy doing the right thing and have a desire to help others.

The culture. There is a shared belief in the importance in and value of collaboration, the team, responsibility, trust, empowerment and accountability.

The pace. One of our values is quite literally reflective of how we operate: move fast, move forward. This creates a work day filled with a lot of activity and I enjoy being busy, having a lot to do and working in a fast paced environment.

Cons

If you are looking for a job or a company that is focused on a 9 to 5 work day, this is not the place for you.

Continue to maintain an ‘open-door’ policy.
    Further the efforts to visit other offices outside of SF.
    Promote the importance of the continued maintenance of the unique and collaborative service culture that is First Republic.

2. Great company positioned for strong growth

I have been working at First Republic (CA)

Pros

no micro-managing
    growing company
    potential for career growth

Cons

low pay for industry
    with growth comes changed and cutbacks

Stable environment

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, excellent C level management.

Cons

Very limited growth opportunities for growth. Middle management is stagnant.

Nurture growth, provide more opportunities to grow within the company.

A great place to learn and do fulfilling work

Current Employee - Data Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been here for 4+ years. FRB is "not just another bank" - it is a very successful, greatly respected full service financial firm that has retained many positive qualities of a start-up or a family business.
    1. Our attention to customers and clients is off the chart
    2. Very, very flat organization - I can approach anyone with an idea or a contribution
    3. Cafe - from Wolfgang Puck
    4. Pay for performance
    5. You get your birthday off (I don't know of any other finance firm that offers something like that)
    6. I get to work every day with very smart, very committed, very focused people

Cons

1. The pain associated with growth - we have grown explosively since we became independent in 2010
    2. Management can trend too conservative sometimes, but I see it improving - they are becoming more open minded and aware what they need to do to be a competitive employer

1. Maintain the relentless focus on the client and their experience - it is absolutely what distinguishes us
    2. As we grow, recognize we will need more and different structural tools (budgets, employee education opportunities)
    3. Continue to hold fast to the FRB Values (which are exemplary) and if a concept or situation does not pass Values scrutiny, move on

Entrepreneurial, independent yet collaborative work environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are ready to work hard and really care about the work you put out, this is a great place to work. If you are looking for a 9 AM to 5 PM job, this isn't the place for you. I am empowered and encouraged to represent the Bank to the best of my ability each and every day. I am trusted to bestow the Bank's vision upon our new hires. My career path is what I make of it and I am happy.

Cons

Some internal systems are outdated.
    New hire onboarding process is cumbersome and delayed.

7. World class

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, unrequited learning experiences, great benefits

Cons

Need more clarity regarding uphill movement

8. I love working at First Republic Bank!

Current Employee - Team Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Support in New York, NY

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Thre are many reasons to love working at First Republic Bank - the culture, the people, your opinion matters and you are empowered to make decisions. We truly live our values! The work environment is positive and welcoming. The team is knowledgable and hard working. I love that our opinions matter! Senior leadership takes suggestions and implements those suggestions that make sense. I am thrilled to be employed at this great company.

Cons

Our systems and manual processes can be challenging at times. As we grow we will need to invest in new systems and infrastructure that will enhance efficiencies and mitigate regulartory risk. Executive leadership is strong, however we need help grow the bench strength in the field and determine if all leaders are in the right roles.

Investment in systems and infrastucture will help the organization prepare for the future and protect the enterprise. Create leadership classes to help grow and develop the bench strength.

9. Personal Banker

Former Employee - Personal Banker in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in San Diego, CA

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are really committed to their employees and there is a strong sense of loyalty. Really amazing quarterly and yearly incentives. It's more like working for a community bank since you establish such a great rapport with the clients. Management is great and there really isn't any micromanagement. As long as you do what's expected of you, you'll do fine.

Cons

The clients can at times be a bit demanding since they are often very successful and time is of the essence for them.

N/A

Great people, great product: top notch service

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people who work here are hard working, smart, and pretty much everyone shares a common goal to provide awesome service to the bank's clients. There is opportunity to set yourself apart and take initiative...no one will ever stop you from doing good work just because it's not in your job description. Executive management cares a lot about doing the right thing for customers, employees, and shareholders, which ends up translating to growth for the company.

Cons

There's not really a set career path for most, so people who are looking for that or to climb a career "ladder" probably won't be happy here. You really have to create your own opportunities and pave your own way, and not care too much about titles.

Keep up the good work, but try to focus more on making sure your vision and messaging are being communicated throughout the whole company by all the managers, or find a way to communicate more broadly yourselves.

High Growth Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

First Republic Bank is extremely focused on its corporate culture and stays true to its values. They host cultural off-site events for employees and offer subsidized cafes in most large locations.

There are lots of opportunities for employees that take initiative. Co-workers are extremely competent and focused on customer service both internal and external. Benefits are average but the total compensation is higher than average.

Cons

The company runs lean which is great for broadening your skill set but can be challenging when you are trying to balance work and life.
    There is not a lot of flexibility to work from home or remotely which would be nice occasionally.

First Republic (CA) Photos