First Republic (CA) Reviews

Reset
3.6
First Republic (CA) Chairman and CEO James H. Herbert II
James H. Herbert II

Pros
  • Co-workers are extremely competent and focused on customer service both internal and external (in 6 reviews)

• The subsidized cafe is a fun perk (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • can be difficult to manage a work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Budget cuts interfere with department goals while upper management continues to pressure for results (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

A great place to learn and do fulfilling work

Current Employee - Data Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been here for 4+ years. FRB is "not just another bank" - it is a very successful, greatly respected full service financial firm that has retained many positive qualities of a start-up or a family business. 1. Our attention to customers and clients is off the chart 2. Very, very flat organization - I can approach anyone with an idea or a contribution 3. Cafe - from Wolfgang Puck 4. Pay for performance 5. You get your birthday off (I don't know of any other finance firm that offers something like that) 6. I get to work every day with very smart, very committed, very focused people

Cons

1. The pain associated with growth - we have grown explosively since we became independent in 2010 2. Management can trend too conservative sometimes, but I see it improving - they are becoming more open minded and aware what they need to do to be a competitive employer

Advice to Management

1. Maintain the relentless focus on the client and their experience - it is absolutely what distinguishes us 2. As we grow, recognize we will need more and different structural tools (budgets, employee education opportunities) 3. Continue to hold fast to the FRB Values (which are exemplary) and if a concept or situation does not pass Values scrutiny, move on

Stuck in the past.

Current Employee - Lending and Deposits in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lending and Deposits in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time

Pros

Very nice people. Great central urban locations (FiDi SF, Midtown East NYC, Century City LA).

Cons

Systems out of date, culture out of date, VERY short staffed! No personal, management learning growth available. No flex schedules (very old world) and no true HR function.

Advice to Management

Invest in manager and employee learning. Invest in technical training for your emplyees. Centralize HR and create a robust shared service function to help people learn, grow and navigate the company. Wake up! 2015, embrace flex working.

3. Great bank to work at

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Due to its smaller size, First republic bank has a really great work culture and I enjoy coming in to work everyday.

Cons

Nothing yet that I can see

Advice to Management

Promote internally instead of constantly seeking to add outside talent/

Archaic mentality- egotistical driven

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy access to public transportation

Cons

Conservative, archaic, lack of accountability, egotistically driven

Advice to Management

Keep your Management in line. What some of the directors and VPs get away with is despicable. Your staff is not valued or respected but instead is driven to satisfy your some of your egotistical and machismo Directors/VPs.

6. Good

Former Employee - Online Banking Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Online Banking Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of promotions along with lateral movement; groups are collaborative. Compensation is good but not great.

Cons

Given that FRB must adhere to the Federal Reserve, there isn't too much leniency.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

7. Analyst

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First Republic has a fantastic culture that is not usually experienced in the banking industry. Groups are highly collaberative and work in tandem to generate a one stop shop at FRB for their clients. Compensation is good but not great.

Cons

Management has their favorites and can be tough to break into a higher role despite performance. Unless you are in a revenur generating sales role, you are looked at like a commodity. Many groups feel entitled to a 9 to 5 schedule without the drive to generate more business.

Advice to Management

Focus on ways to develop the junior to mid-level employees into higher roles within the bank instead of relying so heavily on outside talent acquistion.

Focused on Stock Price, not Customer Service

I worked at First Republic (CA)

Pros

Bank has good reputation as being a high net worth customer bank.

Cons

Management solely focused on stock price and cutting costs, not on customer service. Bank is hypocritical as it outwardly acts like it is focused on customers, but doesn't give employees the staffing or resources to provide good customer service. Environment has changed internally as now that the bank is bigger, there are too many poliitics.

Advice to Management

Focus on building the business through adequate staffing, not on stock metrics.

9. Love frb

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time

Pros

Love working here. Everyone is really helpful and if you do your work you are rewarded well.

Cons

Sometimes it can be difficult for new bankers without a full book of business to acquire clients.

10. FRB

I worked at First Republic (CA)

Pros

overall a good place to work for

Cons

too much internal politics going on

Opportunity for Growth

Current Employee - Information Services
    Current Employee - Information Services

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Opportunities for growth if you work hard -Strong Tenured (10+ years) Management Team -Caring People -Subsidized Cafe

Cons

-Growing pain struggles. The rapid growth of the Bank has caused more bureaucracy, but I suppose this is normal for a large bank. -At times there can be so much focus on the "new" rather then the "old," which cause priorities to shift to frequently -Inability to have a life (if you're successful at the bank)

Advice to Management

-Spend more time investing in the growth and development of your employees. -Continue to ensure that we do not turn into another large bank like Wells Fargo, BlackRock, Charles Schwab, Goldman, etc.

RSS Feed </> Embed