First Republic (CA)

Updated December 4, 2014
3.2

First Republic (CA) Chairman and CEO James H. Herbert II
James H. Herbert II

Pros
  • Co-workers are extremely competent and focused on customer service both internal and external (in 6 reviews)

• The bank is full of good people, and the subsidized cafe is a nice thing to have (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, it is almost frowned upon if you only work an 8 hour day (in 5 reviews)

• Budget cuts interfere with department goals while upper management continues to pressure for results (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

I love working at First Republic Bank!

Current Employee - Team Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Support in New York, NY

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Thre are many reasons to love working at First Republic Bank - the culture, the people, your opinion matters and you are empowered to make decisions. We truly live our values! The work environment is positive and welcoming. The team is knowledgable and hard working. I love that our opinions matter! Senior leadership takes suggestions and implements those suggestions that make sense. I am thrilled to be employed at this great company.

Cons

Our systems and manual processes can be challenging at times. As we grow we will need to invest in new systems and infrastructure that will enhance efficiencies and mitigate regulartory risk. Executive leadership is strong, however we need help grow the bench strength in the field and determine if all leaders are in the right roles.

Investment in systems and infrastucture will help the organization prepare for the future and protect the enterprise. Create leadership classes to help grow and develop the bench strength.

World class

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, unrequited learning experiences, great benefits

Cons

Need more clarity regarding uphill movement

Personal Banker

Former Employee - Personal Banker in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in San Diego, CA

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are really committed to their employees and there is a strong sense of loyalty. Really amazing quarterly and yearly incentives. It's more like working for a community bank since you establish such a great rapport with the clients. Management is great and there really isn't any micromanagement. As long as you do what's expected of you, you'll do fine.

Cons

The clients can at times be a bit demanding since they are often very successful and time is of the essence for them.

N/A

This company is experiencing a lot of changes and do not have the systems in place to support the new regulations.

I worked at First Republic (CA)

Pros

Benefits associated to referrals programs.

Cons

Challenges are systems, processes, lack of leadership

Very successful and rewarding bank, wonderful and great team, however poor management.

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people who work in this department are hard working, smart, and the employees share a common goal to provide excellent service among their colleagues, PBO, and always assisting the bankers/branches. There is always opportunity to set yourself apart and take initiative, management will never stop you from doing good work just because its not part of your responsibility. Also, knowledgealbe co-workers and great team that always support you.

In addition, employees are extremely grateful that lunches are subsidized at the Eagle Cafe.

Cons

I been with the bank for 10 years plus and there is not really a set career path for most employees. For example, for someone who is looking for a career progression or to climb a career ladder will not be satisfied to work here. You are responsible to always create your own opportunities and pave your own way to not care about titles in your department.

Also, adjusting to growth and maintaining the desired culture fit can be a struggle. For example, if you are someone that is willing to put on a mask at work on a daily basis and spend the time in office politics and complaining, this isn't a culture fit for you. Micro-management is very strict in this department which makes you wonder why there are so many turnovers this year. Hours are not as flexible because being on time at work is strictly enforced. Exempt employees have to meet the 8 hours shift on time on a daily basis and sometimes you have stayed over time depending on the workload.

Please trust your team and stop micro-management style environment. It makes it difficult for peers to approach management for questions or even for a quick chat. Hope that management will focus more on career development for the team than their personal business.

Great CEO, Mediocre New Senior Managers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-For the most part colleagues work hard and are kind
    -Some senior managers still seem to care about the well being of the employees
    -If you work hard and your manager is decent, you can be rewarded well in terms of comp
    -CEO is smart and seems to legitimately care about his company and the people working in it

Cons

-Promote individuals in high profile roles with no relevant background in the field
    -A culture that encourages backstabbing to move up and get what you need
    -No work life balance, it is almost frowned upon if you only work an 8 hour day
    -Certain groups are favored and given the green light to do whatever they want which can cause employees in other departments to be disrespectful to those they think are "beneath" them

Listen to the individuals that have helped build the Bank, not just the new "shiny" managers. Newer management encourages a self-serving attitude and in turn encourages employees to consistently back-stab. Lead by example, don't throw other departments or former leaders under the bus constantly. Encourage managers to think what is best for the company, not what is best for them...this only hurts all of the employees and morale.

Great people, great product: top notch service

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people who work here are hard working, smart, and pretty much everyone shares a common goal to provide awesome service to the bank's clients. There is opportunity to set yourself apart and take initiative...no one will ever stop you from doing good work just because it's not in your job description. Executive management cares a lot about doing the right thing for customers, employees, and shareholders, which ends up translating to growth for the company.

Cons

There's not really a set career path for most, so people who are looking for that or to climb a career "ladder" probably won't be happy here. You really have to create your own opportunities and pave your own way, and not care too much about titles.

Keep up the good work, but try to focus more on making sure your vision and messaging are being communicated throughout the whole company by all the managers, or find a way to communicate more broadly yourselves.

High Growth Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

First Republic Bank is extremely focused on its corporate culture and stays true to its values. They host cultural off-site events for employees and offer subsidized cafes in most large locations.

There are lots of opportunities for employees that take initiative. Co-workers are extremely competent and focused on customer service both internal and external. Benefits are average but the total compensation is higher than average.

Cons

The company runs lean which is great for broadening your skill set but can be challenging when you are trying to balance work and life.
    There is not a lot of flexibility to work from home or remotely which would be nice occasionally.

Best bank culture with authentic and intelligent people but stagnant career growth

Current Employee - Preferred Banker in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Preferred Banker in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low stress environment, generous bonuses, most accomplished bankers from all big banks highly motivated to provide clients with a better experience than competitor banks.

Cons

Very slow at certain offices, can go an entire day helping only a handful of clients. Earning a promotion is very difficult even for consistently exceeding goals because the bank is growing much slower than other banks.

Don't be afraid to move into the 21st century and innovate. Yes, the bank has grown tremendously mostly due to organic growth but it's time to take a few risks and explore other types of businesses rather than stick to what's worked for two and half decades. What happens is you begin to lose your most talented employees who are more ambitious than the bank can provide opportunities for.

Stable, Rewarding, and Growing

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone who comes to work at First Republic has their own experience. I personally feel like this is a place where you can get out of it what you put into it. If you come here and work hard and show effort and focus on your own work and not what other people are doing you can fit in and be noticed.

In the 3 years I've been here I've felt that my efforts were noticed and rewarded. Do what it takes to get the job done.

I've worked with staff at all levels of the organization and at every level there are people that believe in the culture they preach and sincerely care about living it.

I love it here and hope that I can stay here a long time. I have plenty of opinions on things, but that being said below, what I've gotten and received with First Republic is a result of my own efforts and work ethic.

Cons

If you are someone that likes to fake their way through the work day, or spend time in office politics and complaining, this isn't the place for you. The reality is that low producing people will be replaced and that should motivate you to try harder. This his how it is at any company trying to improve and grow.

No company on the planet has all if its ducks in a perfect row. This company has gone through a lot and is working out the kinks and working through the growing pains. But the future is solid and the organization is as stable as they come.

Adjusting to the growth and maintaining the desired culture can be a struggle. Possibly a few misfires on the hiring side at a variety of levels. A bit of a disconnect between upper management and staff. Hopefully things to improve.

The positive spin on these cons is that they are trying to become more self-aware of these issues and working to hopefully improve on them. I've seen some of these already happen and hopefully it will continue.

Focus on team building. Make your staff care more and have more of a vested interest in the work they are doing. Manage with the bank's cultural goals in mind every day. Lead by example.

Include all levels of your staff in the discussion leading up to changes that effect them. It makes them understand the changes that eventually happen to policy and procedures. Be more transparent at all levels and more specific.

Communicate more and have more skip-level meetings. Close the gap between levels of management and workers.

Put a greater emphasis on cross-department teamwork and reduce siloing.

First Republic (CA) Photos