First Republic (CA)

Updated October 19, 2014
3.2

First Republic (CA) Chairman and CEO James H. Herbert II
James H. Herbert II

Pros
  • Co-workers are extremely competent and focused on customer service both internal and external (in 6 reviews)

• Eagles cafe, good working environment, some great people to work with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, it is almost frowned upon if you only work an 8 hour day (in 4 reviews)

• Budget cuts interfere with department goals while upper management continues to pressure for results (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Budget cuts and unqualified workers create uneasy work climate

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Some great, kind, intelligent people work for this company
    -Located in the Financial District of SF
    -Medical and 401k benefits are great, but not much else is offered
    -The company has a decent amount of events (holiday, employee benefitting events, recognitions)
    -Down-to-earth, mindful of local pop-culture

Cons

-Many workers not qualified or the best available for the jobs they do and ineffective employees
    -Hire a lot of cheap work, many employees have terrible communication and critical thinking skills as well as poor work ethic
    -Budget cuts interfere with department goals while upper management continues to pressure for results
    -Typical Corporate America popularity contest hierarchy
    -Salaries are average, raises given for performance are scarce and insignificant, a lot of "title promotions"
    -Employee facilities are outdated, many departments are forced to pack employees into confined areas while while executive floors often remain empty for weeks during moves

Higher younger brighter employees who are educated and personable. Reform the selection process and offer better benefits which improve employees lives. Grow your valuable employees and get rid of those who are ineffective.

A look back from a former analyst

Former Employee - Operations Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on your department, you could find nice people spread throughout. The Eagle Cafe was an affordable lunch.

Cons

-It may be the nature of financial institutions, but I always got the impression that you could get stabbed in the back or thrown under the bus by many, many sources in the company.

-Serious separation of management from worker bees. You didn't know what was going to happen until it was happening.

-Relentless demands with few resources and severely outdated technology.

-Demands. Fire drills.

Manage. Don't lock yourself away behind office doors and expect the ship to run smoothly without leadership

Private Wealth Management

Current Employee - Senior Loan Support Specialist/Underwriter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Loan Support Specialist/Underwriter in New York, NY

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rockcenter, Christmas Tree, cafeteria, shopping

Cons

its not always what you know, its who you know.

Frustrating, they sold me a big story, but in the end, I can't actually do the job I was hired to do.

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very good company culture. No budgets. They are generous with salary, less so with benefits.

Cons

Parts of the organization are very conservative. Technology is stone-age. Doesn't move very fast.

Not what I signed up for.

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

get deals done quick. however you really need to work with the senior credit team, they are tough to crack and work with, it takes over 3 years to get in their "group"... and its never guaranteed to work.

Cons

its like working for the Italian mob youre either a made man or your a sitting duck ready to get whacked. They promise you the world but they never deliver on it.

support the people that help you thrive, don't forget about who keeps you on the top of the food chain.

Nice place to settle down

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Successful organization - they know their market and tend to it well
    Friendly people
    Nice location (downtown SF)
    Employee cafeteria on premises
    Low risk of being fired for incompetence

Cons

Old style - in many respects 10+ years behind similar organizations
    Political - it is all about people and relationships
    Territorial and vertical (very functional organization as opposed to matrix type orgs)
    Slow and cumbersome - too often key stakeholders retrench behind rigid/outdated processes rather than try to be part of the solution, behave as "owners" and exercise their brain muscle.

Not what I was led to believe

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location (if you're in SF), excellent customer service levels

Cons

Employees are not treated as well as the customers are, too many politics, egos, and micromanagement.

I was sold a very different experience than I found to be true once I started working here. Some of the things I was told were true (like how they treat customers and that client service is paramount), but there's more red tape, politicking, egomaniacs, and gossiping behind the scenes. My immediate team is great, but after some of the stuff I've seen, I don't trust anyone else at the bank. They say they're a "flat organization" but that's not really true - there's still a class system in the ranks. This has only gotten worse as the company has grown.

When all is said and done, it's still a bank. Better than BofA or Wells, but maybe a bank is a bank.

Please try to ferret out where things are not being done in accordance with how you preach for things to be done and people to be treated. Have more skip-levels and invite honesty with anonymity.

Great employees to work with but lots of politics with upper management.

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time

Pros

Friendly and down to earth co-workers. Less red tape, easier to get processes moving since the bank is still fairly small for the amount of business they generate.

Cons

Lots of kissing up to upper management. You are constantly being watched and judged whether you know it or not. Employees do at least double the work but do not necessarily get paid for it compared to other banks. Technology is getting better but still lags behind some competitors.

FRB has had a reputation of being a small private bank that values each employee. This is becoming less and less apparent as the bank is grows.

Definitely In or out of the group

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time

Pros

Location.Some great people, if you actually get to meet them

Cons

Not much growth. A little stuck in the 80s

Less micromanaging. But this comes from the top and seems to be at every large company.

Poor management, bad processes, lack of collaboration, few opportunities and awful communication.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation is "okay". It's not at the bottom but definitely not at the top. Especially since this bank produces more revenue per employee than most other firms.

If you work at a corporate office, you have the advantage of goingto eagle cafe. You can get a solid breakfast and lunch for a fairly cheap price (especially in SF).

Some of the people here are fun to work with it.

Cons

I will admit, when I first started at FRB I was so excited because I had always wanted to work here, that it casted a huge shade over all that was wrong with the workplace. I was told we were in transition and working towards the better so the environment would be less toxic. 3 years later, guess what? I still get that exact same message.

Before I started here, even one of my trusted recruiters told me to reconsider. There is a high turnover rate, which is also a bad sign. There are rutheless management practices. I've seen people get fired for consistantly meeting all expectations.

More than anything, is the quote that I and a few of my colleagues received from our VP in a skip level meeting,

"I have no intention of doing any internal promotions. If we have hire level positions open, we'll just hire experienced staff to come in. If you want a hire position, you'll move on to another company. That's just corporate culture."

I honestly don't have any advice to management. I'm not sure on how to fix a toxic environment outside of making changes to management.

First Republic (CA) Photos