First Republic (CA) Reviews

James H. Herbert II

1. Featured Review

Never a Dull Moment: High Growth, Fast Paced, Meritocracy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people. I am fortunate to work with some truly amazing people who are incredibly smart and experienced and who have high standards for themselves, work hard, enjoy what they do and know how to have fun. I get to work with people who have a passion for service, enjoy doing the right thing and have a desire to help others.

The culture. There is a shared belief in the importance in and value of collaboration, the team, responsibility, trust, empowerment and accountability.

The pace. One of our values is quite literally reflective of how we operate: move fast, move forward. This creates a work day filled with a lot of activity and I enjoy being busy, having a lot to do and working in a fast paced environment.

Cons

If you are looking for a job or a company that is focused on a 9 to 5 work day, this is not the place for you.

Continue to maintain an ‘open-door’ policy.
    Further the efforts to visit other offices outside of SF.
    Promote the importance of the continued maintenance of the unique and collaborative service culture that is First Republic.

2. Great Bank for employees and clients

Current Employee - Internal Audit Senior in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Internal Audit Senior in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Work life balance is generally good (depends on department)
    - Salary is good, raises are ok, end of year bonuses are great (from what I've heard)
    - Work environment is friendly and building is nice...not a big sea of cubicles
    - Accommodate training opportunities
    - Great leadership...Bank strategy is simple to understand and maintain unlike "big banks"
    - Bank is growing and has room for more growth
    - Eagle Cafe is subsidized food; few other perks ($65 cell reimbursement)

Cons

- Financial Industry comes with high-scrutiny from regulators, which can mean putting out last minute fire drills
    - Have to hold all discretionary trading accounts with the Bank and their fees are high for the average person who likes to do some moderate trading.

- Continue to focus on quality of life for employees (add perks like wellness plans, higher salary raises...even though bonuses are great)
    - Focus on data infrastructure to support growth of bank

A great place to learn and do fulfilling work

Current Employee - Data Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been here for 4+ years. FRB is "not just another bank" - it is a very successful, greatly respected full service financial firm that has retained many positive qualities of a start-up or a family business.
    1. Our attention to customers and clients is off the chart
    2. Very, very flat organization - I can approach anyone with an idea or a contribution
    3. Cafe - from Wolfgang Puck
    4. Pay for performance
    5. You get your birthday off (I don't know of any other finance firm that offers something like that)
    6. I get to work every day with very smart, very committed, very focused people

Cons

1. The pain associated with growth - we have grown explosively since we became independent in 2010
    2. Management can trend too conservative sometimes, but I see it improving - they are becoming more open minded and aware what they need to do to be a competitive employer

1. Maintain the relentless focus on the client and their experience - it is absolutely what distinguishes us
    2. As we grow, recognize we will need more and different structural tools (budgets, employee education opportunities)
    3. Continue to hold fast to the FRB Values (which are exemplary) and if a concept or situation does not pass Values scrutiny, move on

opportunity killer

Current Employee - Loan Servicing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Loan Servicing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA)

Pros

cheap cafe food
    quarter / annual bonuses

Cons

poor management
    unhappy workers
    solution to every problem is overtime

know each employees job function and be ready to step in when needed

Terrible management style. Not an employee focused employer.

Former Employee - Product Management in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic (CA)

Pros

Small enough to feel like your work makes an impact.

Cons

Ruthless management style. No appreciation for employees' hard work and devotion. Very mediocre benefits and compensation and zero career building/coaching etc.

Employees matter as do your high net worth clientele.

Enjoyed working for a forward-looking, fast-growing, entrepreneurial-minded organization that rewards contributors.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation was above average; culture was generally supportive of a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

Organizational structure and multiple layers of systems contributed to inefficiencies and strained working relationships between groups.

Support employees' requests and need for professional development regardless of their level of employment.

Entrepreneurial, independent yet collaborative work environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are ready to work hard and really care about the work you put out, this is a great place to work. If you are looking for a 9 AM to 5 PM job, this isn't the place for you. I am empowered and encouraged to represent the Bank to the best of my ability each and every day. I am trusted to bestow the Bank's vision upon our new hires. My career path is what I make of it and I am happy.

Cons

Some internal systems are outdated.
    New hire onboarding process is cumbersome and delayed.

horrible management in deposit operations

Current Employee - CAR in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - CAR in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Peers and co-workers can be really wonderful, cheap cafe, great benefits

Cons

management in deposit services is terrible. They sweep problems away instead of addressing them. They have hire individuals into management roles who only do their bidding instead of helping the folks on the team. If you're going to work for this team stay on the client facing team not the other as the management is stronger on that side. The golden child of current BSA/AML functions is condescending and rude AND is dating one of the individuals within her purview. There is no concern for the well being of the staff and when complaints are made they are quickly squashed. The team plays favorites while the majority of the team takes the brunt of the work and verbal abuse.

Don't hide problems. Take care of your people. People from top really need to really spend time with the people below. Don't hide your issues, take care of them! Really look at the line managers on your teams and the bosses that seem to protect or hide their inadequacies.

Can get away with a great deal.

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time

Pros

Eagle Café, downtown SF location, & reputation of the bank

Cons

It is a sad reality knowing one of my peers got his job because he is in a relationship with another associate who has since been promoted (although they rarely speak to one another it seems). What is even more ridiculous is the fact that this has gotten away with a ton of things that are against corporate workplace rules.

Be more thorough when it comes to interviewing and hiring employees. Allow for training & shadowing opportunities across departments.

The mismanagement of the Deposit Services area.

Current Employee - CIF Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First Republic has a great 401K retirement plan. The subsidized cafe is a fun perk. The company's intranet is a great resource for both researching polices and locating staff.

Cons

Deposit services function was to support various departments, branches, and clients. Those days are over. There is no team work as that is discouraged. If you did not come from Union Bank, then there will be no room for advancement. The accountability program implemented by the upper management is a sham. It is a very unhealthy place to work.

Please look into why upper management needs to continually hire consultants and temps. They are constantly adding layers under themselves to try to protect themselves. As they get rid of staff who understood their jobs and the First Republic philosophy, the amount of fines will increase in dollar amounts as they disregard governmental regulations. I see a cease and desist order coming soon.

First Republic (CA) Photos