First Solar Reviews

86 reviews filtered by
3.6
First Solar CEO James A. Hughes
James A. Hughes

Pros
  • Competitive compensation, academic upgrading program, good benefits program, stays up to date with technology (in 5 reviews)

• So much room to learn, good pay (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance, high turnover, micro-managing, lack of growth (in 4 reviews)

• The company is no longer nimble in the market place (in 3 reviews)

1. Best in Class

Former Employee - Director Business Development in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director Business Development in New York, NY

I worked at First Solar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strategy clearly defined, good product, focused team effort to close deals. Management is aggressive in going after new business.

Cons

intense work environment and pressure to close on every deal.

2. Solid people

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Tempe, AZ

I worked at First Solar

Pros

Good leadership and people were solid. Everyone was there to do their job and not slack off.

Cons

Good leadership but could be a bit of a "good ol' boy" company which is hard for women

3. Over-utilizes full-time "contractors"

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer
    Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer

I worked at First Solar

Pros

+Company has a solid product line that you can believe in.
    +Some good engineers

Cons

- Stingy with offering full-time associate positions

I worked for First Solar through a contract agency, which was unfortunate because I was cut-off from the benefits offered to full-time associates, including things like stock discounts, bonuses, etc. It's annoying that companies like this get away with getting all the benefits of a committed full-time work with only offering month-to-month commitment (because they work through staffing agencies who you are *really* working "full-time" for). I worked really hard as a contractor hoping to soon get offered a full-time associate only to have my office closed and a vague offer to relocate with a small bonus but the same continued un-guaranteed month-to-month nonsense. I didn't accept.

First Solar management, give full-time status and all the benefits thereof to the people giving full-time results.

5. Good Place for Contractors

I worked at First Solar

Pros

Not much difference between Contractors or Employees in treatment or tasks.
    Good working environment with co-workers willing to help out,
    Company leadership willing to test new methods and update their processes.
    A good place to work if you are used to change and being in a cutting-edge environment.
    Employer is held in high regard and puts ethics at the top of focus.
    Opportunities for advancement or lateral moves

Cons

Too many people still end up on call for their time off. If company is serious about providing time off in their work/life balance, then duties/tasks should have a backup person. No one should be so indispensable that they cannot be away briefly to recharge.
    Not enough IT backup for timely response to needs.

Please pay attention to the technical support systems. There are opportunities for cost savings and time improvement with the right support/software systems in place.

Profits over people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topaz, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topaz, CA

I worked at First Solar

Pros

You wil get the oppotunity to work with some pretty impressive people. Expect to work a lot of overtime.

Cons

This is one company that puts profits over people. You can be doing an outstanding job with perfect job reviews then boom. Your email and phone are cut and security is escorting you off the site. No warning, no notice, just someone you have never seen before comming and telling you that "your services are no longer required." High stress because it happens all the time. You never know when you will be cut. Simply no job security. Also expect long days. Typical day starts with boarding bus to work at 6 am and returning to rideshare lot at 6 pm. 12 hour days with only 8 paid.

Take care of your people and they will take care of you. Keep treating people like a disposable resource and you will suffer peformance and innovation.

7. Hangin in there

I worked at First Solar

Pros

So much room to learn, good pay

Cons

stressful, too many deadlines, need more help

Great place to work

Current Employee - Developer I in Perrysburg, OH
    Current Employee - Developer I in Perrysburg, OH

I have been working at First Solar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits program.

Cons

solar industry not stable yet

listen to your people not your budget

9. Employment

Former Employee - Senior Maint Tech in Perrysburg, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Maint Tech in Perrysburg, OH

I worked at First Solar full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Having helped to start this company I have seen it's many faces.In the beginning there was a friendship among all employees.Everyone mattered and contributed.With good benefits and pay,a great place to work.

Cons

12 hour days,medicoure benefits and plant wide backstabbing.Always the threat of being fired.Front office is always changing.At present,managment is not associated with the solar industry.They are automotive caste offs with a vicious minde set.This is mindless work and should be considered a fill in till the next job.

Fire all the caste offs and hire glass people.

10. Project Planner

I have been working at First Solar full-time

Pros

Flexible working environment, doing good things for the world, site visits are interesting

Cons

Poor work life balance, high turnover, micro-managing, lack of growth

Have concern for your employees instead of treating them just as numbers

11. Great company to work for.

I have been working at First Solar full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a world class company with advanced thin film CdTe technology that is on the verge of overtaking silicon in device performance and overall economics. This well balanced and substantial company will continue to prosper. The culture is positive and results oriented, just as you would expect from a successful corporation. The management puts real effort into matching the individual's strengths to the work at hand. While fast paced, it is not a "sink or swim" environment. There is a strong sense of team ownership in the work and ease in cutting across department or other boundaries to pull in the necessary resources to make the project succeed. People are personally competitive but are also very helpful. There is a considerable amount of leadership in this organization. I work in the Silicon Valley operation and interact a great deal with the operation in Perrysburg. Benefits, including time off policies are excellent. I have worked in the Silicon Valley for a long time and this is one of the best companies with a presence in the Valley.

Cons

None to speak of. I have had better stock options at other smaller companies, but this is a larger and more mature company. This is not a Silicon Valley start-up.

Keep doing what you are doing.