First Student Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Not good

I worked at First Student

Pros

they give all the work to the ones with the most seniority

Cons

By them giving most of the work to those with seniority those that are new to the job get to sit in the break room all day

2. good pay and flexible hours

Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Bristol, CT

I worked at First Student part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

started at 12.50, went up to 17.51 on my third year. (location varies)
    able to bring your children to work, extra work can be fun, and make good money.
    Your off when your kids are off of school. (snow days, vacations, ext)

Cons

On and off the clock all day, makes for a long day, but between the commute, your only getting paid min 2-4 hours a day, if extra work isn't available, or canceled due to weather
    Takes years to acquire seniority, and a comfortable pay rate.
    Moved out of state panning to transfer, was a 30min to hour commute, and a $2 pay cut,, not to mention didn't accommodate my son's school district.

Advice to Management

Was asked to help train, which gave me reliable 40+ a week. promise to pay raise....then was let go do to being least on seniority, and they hired too many trainers at one time. Complete disappointment as being a single parent, in hopes to step up the ladder in the company.

3. Management Truly Does Not Care

Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Olathe, KS

I have been working at First Student

Pros

Weekly Paycheck
    Co-workers can become life-long friends
    CDL Training for later use in life
    CDL license fee reimbursed quickly

Cons

No chance for advancement
    Low Pay
    Low chance for descent Trip and/or Charters
    Lack of respect from Management
    No compensation for bus cleaning
    Excessive Favortism
    Lack of Respect for Employees

Advice to Management

Management should be replaced, in order to keep the few employees still left. If respect is not given, people will not stay. When management does not care about it's emloyees. or the children they transport, it is not worth staying in that position. Take heed, the school district feels this, and takes notes, as well.

It's a good place to work.

Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Columbus, OH

I worked at First Student full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who I worked with we're really nice.

Cons

The only thing was I couldn't get a enough hours.

6. Challenging and a rewarding experience all at the same time. It was great while it lasted.

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Harvey, LA
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Harvey, LA

I worked at First Student full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The knowledge of knowing that I helped to ensure students made it to school and back home safely is what I enjoyed about First Student. First Student puts their best foot forward to ensure the safety of students. The pay was very good for a part time job. I worked as a driver first. Then I moved to dispatch which was a full time position with a little less pay. I enjoyed working with my fellow bus drivers and dispatcher. We were like a family. We had our good days and bad days. Most of all we worked together as a team regardless of differences to make sure we met the ultimate goal. The transporting of students safely.

Cons

Some of the challenges that you will encounter are buses breaking down. The mechanics are great, but the buses go through a lot of wear and tear. Also, children getting on the wrong bus. As a driver the worse thing you want to hear come over the radio is that dispatch is looking for a child.

Advice to Management

I believe the management needs to go through a rigorous manager trainee program. They get personally involved with employees and start to show favoritism. They are not professional at all. They will lie and throw there hands to make themselves look good. I love the job besides working with the managers I had.

7. Worked here for 18 years plus

Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at First Student part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy the kids and the pay is great! I make 18.00 an hour sitting. I don't have a high education. There is alway a way to make extra hours with Charters and extra work.

Cons

The job takes up all your time. I work from 6 AM to 7:15 PM back and forth all day to make just 8 hours pay. It stinks getting up so early and the winters in a cold bus are miserable!

Advice to Management

There are so many school days off. It would be nice to have legal days as paid days. We have no sick time off. That is bad. Most drivers will come to work because they need the money. Really not safe. Since there is no retirement benefits company matched 401K would be better.

8. I have been with the company for 6 months now and so far It is a great company to work for.

Current Employee - School Bus Driver

I have been working at First Student part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, excellent dental insurance, free training.

Cons

No paid vacation days, no sick days, medical insurance is really expensive.

9. School bus driver

Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Omaha, NE

I have been working at First Student part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Follows the school schedule, summers off

Cons

Alert 11 hours for 5.5 hours pay

Advice to Management

Rewire the am/fm radio to work when the bus is empty

10. J O B

Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - School Bus Driver in Olathe, KS

I worked at First Student

Pros

easy job to get, flexible hours, paycheck, sign on bonus-eventually

Cons

Not paid for training which was about a month. Low starting pay even for experienced drivers. Insurance not worth the cost. Little chance of advancement. Minimal chance of picking up trips. Your only get paid for time when your on the bus. Other time like discussions with dispatch or management etc typically is not paid for.

11. Good for Something to do, not Careerworthy

Current Employee - School Bus Driver

I have been working at First Student part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Easy job, free training on both 40ft class B buses and smaller class C vans, only work 4-5 hours a day, set work schedule, plenty of time off including all holidays and summer. Can claim unemployment when off. Optional work during summer. Optional charter trips and plenty of field trips.

Cons

No benefits, no retirement. Healthcare option is ridiculously expensive. only getting $15.69/hr as a driver and it took 4 years to get there. No promotion path. If you don't like driving and don't like kids, don't work here. Jobs are seniority based. Established drivers get the best runs and the most trips. New drivers will make more in summer than in the school year when most people want to stay off work.

Advice to Management

Fix the buses. The policy of needing to get repairs approved on the corporate level and limiting the amount of spare parts that can be kept on location is shooting First Student's "If it isn't safe, don't do it" mentality in the foot. If the vehicles are poorly maintained they aren't safe no matter how well the drivers are trained. Get rid of the zonar average payscale. The drivers don't like feeling like they are getting ripped off. They'd rather get a swipe in/ swipe out time instead of an average. At my location it has caused a chronic speeding problem with drivers trying to make their times paid and only their times paid.

RSS Feed </> Embed