First Tech Federal Credit Union

Updated November 14, 2014
Updated November 14, 2014
3.2

Greg Mitchell

First Tech has provided me with a wealth of knowlege and helped me grow in my career

Current Employee - Technical Position in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Position in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Open, collaborative environment. Just finished a team SWOT analysis where we could all be very honest and work to make our processes and approaches more efficient and productive. I feel empowered, to care and create an environment that is beneficial to both members and staff. I feel like I have a voice and can make a difference. I have been provided the oppotunities to grow professionally. I love knowing i work for a very stable and strong company.

Cons

Honestly I don't have many cons. I have been with First Tech for 17 years. If i was forced to pick something it would be that the cubicle walls are too short and I believe we are in the process of fixing that now. :) I love our community service culture and my supervisors open and honest communication style. When we face change First Tech works hard to take employees into consideration.

Please continue to reach out to staff for ideas and feedback. You indicated that staff is the "secret sauce" which makes First Tech great and I couldn't agree more. Thank you so much for sharing that

Top heavy management/poor supervision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I worked at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Rank and file are great; supervisor/managers, not so much. Customer driven. The employees work hard, despite poor supervision, to keep members happy.

Cons

Poor supervision, not to mention some pretty clear favoritism. I was terminated after thirteen years, (ironically having received a performance raise just a few months prior) with no consideration as to how information I depended upon from other departments affected my ability to perform my duties. The company is ridiculously top-heavy, (FOUR vice presidents at the time of my termination,) and my supervision was sketchy, at best. First Tech, when I started, was one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in Oregon; they lost that distinction a long time ago. The company used to offer 401K and pension, a company Christmas party and occasional barbeques in the summer; those are now gone, and a culture of paranoia has developed within the rank and file.

Supervisors become petty dictators; management would do well to scrutinize them as thoroughly as they do the rank and file. My (ex) supervisor in particular has her two best friends working in her department, and the favoritism is not only glaringly obvious, it is extremely demoralizing to the rest of the department.

Terrible Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at First Tech Federal Credit Union

Pros

Branch employees are okay and manager is trying very hard to make it
    Tolerable.

Cons

Knew it was going to be bad with new CEO when one of the first company calls was him saying "if you don't like it, go find another job". The two retail upper mgmt levels have been known to come to a branch and in a coaching session actually yell at an employee-who then quit. Big surprise! Only care about sales figures and very rigid on errors so feel they are always going to be fired...at any time. Frontline pay is horrible. Loan approvals are nil-underwriting denies everything.

Don't say talk to your manager. You have cut them off at the knees. Treat your employees with a shred of respect and dignity. Get rid of the CEO and upper management. All the good managers are gone with a couple exceptions who are hanging on. Quit being a bank!

Great company with a committed management team and excellent benefits package.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They value the members of the Credit Union and the employees. They seem to do a good job of soliciting and reacting to feedback from both employees and members alike. The financial benefits are great with discounts on loan products and a great incentive structure and 401k match.

Cons

Haven't run into any yet to be honest.

Continue to seek out unique ways to engage your employees in an open forum.

Oct 1, 2014Employee Relations Manager

Thank you for the input! We are working on the next iteration of our pulse survey to continue to engage and solicit feedback from our employees about their experience working at First Tech Federal ... More

Great…..At First

Former Employee - Financial Solutions Representative
    Former Employee - Financial Solutions Representative

I worked at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most coworkers that have I've worked with were great! Bonus was decent too, if you worked hard for it.

Cons

FTFCU is turning into a bank, most upper management including CEO are all from banks. Sales,sales,sales mentality since all they'll hire now are applicants from other banks. Training is non existent, I'm glad I won't be there long enough to see how salesforce works out, since it probably will flop like other new systems before it. Don't talk down to reps not making their goals as fast as you want them to be. Treat people with respect especially since if it wasn't for us FTFCU would have already went down the tubes.

Promote from within for upper positions, don't hire from outside over other qualified internal candidates. CEO needs to act like a human not a robot, get rid of the sales and bring back member service or FTFCU won't be a Credit Union for long.

Aug 15, 2014VP of Marketing

Although I am disappointed that you were unhappy during your time at First Tech, I truly appreciate you providing this feedback. It helps us understand how our renewed focus on bringing the tools ... More

Going downhill

Current Employee - Member Service Representative
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative

I have been working at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent and benefits are better than most jobs I've had. Training is well done.

Cons

New management (from banks) is bringing the bank culture into the credit union. Heavy sales pushes, people literally looking over your shoulder. The feeling down at many branches that I'm familiar with is souring quickly. This is no longer an institution that I recommend to anyone for jobs or personal banking.

Stop trying to push sales so much - the branches are getting very strained and members are noticing. We're becoming more like banks with the aggressive growth initiatives. Put the focus back on member service, not just wrapping up sales in "member service" talk.

Started out fine, turned into a living nightmare.

Former Employee - Member Service Representative (Bank Teller)
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative (Bank Teller)

I worked at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked my former manager, and my fellow employees, it made it tolerable.

Cons

Worked there for over two years! It was hard to make sales goals, especially when we were pushing the "effortless banking" so hard. Who am I supposed to cross sell to when nobody is coming into the branch anymore? Also, felt like a car salesman trying to make my goals because they want you to talk and sell to everyone, even when they don't need any products! Awkward. Too much of a bank feel. Also, in the two years I was there I felt unnoticed. My efforts weren't really recognized, especially with monetary rewards. In over two years I got a whopping 19 cents in raises total. I think my first one was like 9 cents and the later 10. Just crazy for all of the work I was doing. Added tasks when people would quit. Which was all the time! Also, a former employee disclosed to me he made over a dollar more per hour than me! I was there for a year and a half before they hired him, he started out at more per hour and never made his goals! He quit before me too. A little scandaless secret, he never made his goals on his own (maybe got two cross sells) but the lead was doing it for him! And some of them were my hard earned ones. Last but not least, the CEO and other higher ups were just too intense. It's a credit union, not a bank. I just wish they'd remember that!

Quit trying to be like a bank. Honor your employees for their hard work. Have integrity and compensate people for their accomplishments and honesty.

Financial Services Representative (FSR)

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative

I have been working at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I thankfully work at a branch with a great branch manager. If you work hard, the commissions are not bad. Benefits and paid time off is pretty good.

Cons

Company does not hire from within. No career growth or upward momentum. The only people who move around are the tellers... to FSR... if they are lucky. If you apply for any other position, you will find out they hired an outside person with better qualifications, say if you want to try for a mortgage officer (vs retail loans that FSRs do).

Train and hire people from the company for other positions.

Jul 1, 2014VP of Marketing

I appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. I strongly encourage you to chat with your branch manager or regional director about advancement opportunities as well as job shadow ... More

First Tech Bank

Former Employee - Manager/Director/Vice President
    Former Employee - Manager/Director/Vice President

I worked at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Nice facilities, decent benefits, a few good people left there with big hearts that know the old First Tech when Tom Sargent was the CEO for some 20+ years.

Cons

Nothing but a bank now. Senior Management only cares about and only talks about income generated from the customers. Top down management style is aggressive and angry, fostering a very harsh culture that cares nothing for employees.

Get back to the fundamentals of a credit union and learn what change management quickly to fix the culture of the last 18 months

Mortgage loan officer

I have been working at First Tech Federal Credit Union

Pros

Love the small feel family. The staff is great. Love the teams and members.

Cons

Everything else. New CEO is horrible. Makes it the worst place to work.

Change CEO

First Tech Federal Credit Union Photos

153rd Drive Branch & Beaverton Corporate Office
Roseville Branch (Roseville, CA)
Nimbus Branch (Beaverton, OR)

+ Add Photo