First Tech Federal Credit Union

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Greg Mitchell

1. FTFCU is recommended, Great manager and caring staff!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great family benefits and incentives. Best employer I have had.

Cons

Very strict on policies and branches don't share staff or other resources.

2. Great Atmosphere, under appreciated

Pros

great team environment, friendly people, makes going to work enjoyable

Cons

understaffed and underpaid, say they want to support growth but have yet to see that happen,

Advice to Management

be more supportive and hire more staff to suit the workflow, create a desirable work situation

Member service

I have been working at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved this company when I started. It felt like they really cared about their members and employees.

Cons

Management is coming in from big banks and it no longer feels like a credit union. It's more like a big bank, which turns members and employees off.

Advice to Management

Many of my coworkers are looking for new places to work including myself. The pressure from sales is ridiculous since they don't provide any training for it. The goals are non-attainable and greedy. Management is very hostile and retaliates if you are not a "yes" person. It's so unfortunate. It was such a nice place to work.

Company has tons of potential, but too many weak managers that have zero skills at managing people

Former Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing CEO, truly cares about employees more than profits.

Cons

Terrible middle management, poor oversight from VP level staff. HR is a joke, especially the HR managers. They really could care less about you as a person. Poor systems in place for career advancement. Unfortunately, the technology is severely lacking too. Pay was very low based on the number of direct reports I had. Big imbalance in pay from managers with direct reports and those without. They actually pay you more if you are an analyst without any direct reports.

Advice to Management

Develop a system to know when your senior leaders are not supporting the company vision, which is an obvious problem. Fix the pay grades, so managers with many direct reports (often times double digits) actually make as much as people without direct reports. Also, the only people in management that advance in this company are managers moving to directors, and directors moving to senior directors. You might want to consider advancing people in all levesl of management, so the best future leaders don't look elsewhere. Walk the talk with the whole employer of choice thing. It sounds great, but it isn't since not everyone is on the same page, not even close.

6. Steer Clear

Pros

Staff tries to do a good job for customers.

Cons

Management team does not communicate downward to appropriate staff . Trying to increase the size of the credit union too quickly affecting operations and attidude of staff. .

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees and quit trying to be a bank instead of a credit union.

7. Branch Manager

Current Employee - Current Branch Manager in Keizer, OR
    Current Employee - Current Branch Manager in Keizer, OR

I have been working at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are a company already focused for the future developing our people for success. Employees are treated with respect. Upper Management gets to know every employee and listens to new ideas. We continue to make strides to become the best in our communities. They pay each hourly employee up to 16 hours per year for community service work and also another 16 for personal development hours they choose for growth opportunity. They are my employer of choice. First institution to roll out on line banking and always making it better. THe company focus I am onboard with 110%

Cons

Have some work to do on our employee web page. Also; our call center ratings need to make improvement.

Advice to Management

Be a little more patient with our growth and let it happen with our people delivring expcetional experiences. We willl get there.

8. Insurance sales

I have been working at First Tech Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Good leads no cold calls. No residuals but a nice base plus commish and benefits.

Cons

Not many advancent opportunity within insurance

9. Branch Manager

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Portland, OR

Pros

A company that truly values their employees and members. It is a really positive culture and the voice of every employee is heard. They are growing and wanting to move with the times by focusing on the future and seeing the value in good employees is key to helping achieve the success of the most admired credit union and employer of choice.

Cons

having just PTO- no sick time and vacation time it is lumped into one. Training does struggle a bit but there has been vast improvement and they are making improvements still.

Hoping for better leadership

Current Employee - Financial Solutions Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Solutions Representative

Pros

The members are great to work with. My colleagues are great to work with also. Full service credit union with simple products and services

Cons

Staffing is at a minimum. Getting time off is like winning the lottery. Work every Saturday. Incentive has changed every year and this year is the worst incentive plan I've ever seen. There's a cap and every rep gets paid the same regardless of production and goals. So if you're at a busy branch, have higher goals and produce more you get paid the same as a rep in slower branch with lower goals. There is no technology at First Tech, it's s misnomer. They just launched a salesforce program that is worthless and all it does is create more work for employees. We are one of the only credit union/bank that still does not have person to person payments available.

Advice to Management

Executive team needs to show true leadership and hold itself accountable as it demands of everybody else. Fix salesforce, it doesn't work! Credit card fraud dept needs to be fixed too. Fix the incentive plan, because at this point there is no incentive. Staff the branches, so employees can take time off when they like. The phrase "we're working on it" is getting very old. You say you're transparent and listen to your employees but these issues are not new and yet nothing has changed.

The positive reviews....

Pros

There are no positive reviews for this company any longer

Cons

The positive reviews that have shown up here are a joke. Management response to negative reviews are a joke. This company is led by bullies who think intimidation is the way to reach their goals. Every negative comment is absolutely true, and believe me the moral, the hostile environment, the threats to your job, the constant and ridiculous changes make this a horrible place to work. Take heed.

Advice to Management

congratulations, you have ruined a great company

RSS Feed </> Embed