First Utility Reviews

Reset
2.7
Ian McCaig

1. Growing Business with room for progression

Current Employee - Energy Supply and Retention Advisor (On the Phones) in Coventry, England (UK)

I have been working at First Utility

Pros

I have really enjoyed working for First Utility so far because they make a real effort to look after their staff. The call-centre has recently moved away from the traditional "productivity" targets asking agents to take as many calls as possible to a complete focus on quality of call and first-contact resolution which has really made the place an altogether pleasant place of work. We have team nights out, competitions and something called "Fruity Friday" where all the offices are brought mountains of fruit. I have been working for First Utility for less than a year and I have already got a job in another department- a step up. I think if you can show them you mean business, you will go far.

Cons

The main downside of working for First Utility is that sometimes it is difficult to get things auctioned for a customer as there is a lack of effective communication and procedure between departments. This is something that has improved drastically since I have been there though as they have set up some direct lines between certain departments. However, some departments seem to forget that there is always a customer to be thinking of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and recruit plenty of staff to help improve customer service.

2. Great company to work for

I have been working at First Utility full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard workers with ambition are given the chance to progress Exec are highly involved in the day to day running of the business, and value your opinions Growing company & great people to work with

Cons

As the growth of customers has been huge over the last few years, teams have been massively under resourced meaning customer service has suffered. This seems to have now taken a turning point after a huge recruitment drive.

3. Horrible experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advisor

I worked at First Utility full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pro about working here was my team. I had some really nice and supportive team members and they made the job bearable.

Cons

The management and the technical side of the company is horrible. Some of the issues the customers had were just unbelievable. This company will take money from their customers without letting them know, and still not sort any of their problems out. The higher management treats the staff like crap as well, as we were constantly blamed for the company's shoddy service. The agents on the phone tried to help the customers as much as they could, but there is not a lot you can do when a customer hasn't received his bill for the past 5 years, and the company has been increasing his direct de it almost every 6 months nevertheless, without telling him what he is paying for. And when the customers ring up, blaming the company, the telephone agents get shouted at because the higher management has no one to blame. I would not recommend any one to start a career there!

Advice to Management

Treat your telephone agents well as they are the ones who are basically running the business mate! And the reason you have al least 80-90 calls waiting in the queue all the time is not because the agents are not doing their job, its because that many people have issues with the company, that you are in no hurry to resolve. I mean what kind of company takes 6 weeks to produce a final bill!!! Come on!! Rather than placing blame on the people who are actually trying to help the customers, try and look into the higher echelon of the company to figure out what you are doing wrong!!

Hell!!

Current Employee - Inbound
    Current Employee - Inbound

I have been working at First Utility

Pros

7 quid an hour and good shifts

Cons

No one knows what they are doing. You are thrown in and given incorrect information to pass to customers. It's rediculous and we get it in the neck because of the crap systems off the cheeky irate customers. You feel constantly stressed and swore at by customers. It's just awful can't wait to get out of it. They mark your calls but make you fail by mot giving you the right training. It's an absolute con I would avoid working for them and even being a customer

Positive family atmosphere to work at, a lot of work to be done still to be compared with big UK Utility companies.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Warwick, West Midlands, England (UK)

I worked at First Utility

Pros

Nice and friendly family atmosphere to work. Flexible hours to work

Cons

Lack of clear instructions and responsibility among different departments that caused a lot of frustrated customer calling to complain.

RSS Feed </> Embed