FirstBank (Colorado)

Updated November 17, 2014
3.8

FirstBank (Colorado) President and CEO John A. Ikard
John A. Ikard

I worked at FirstBank (Colorado)

Pros

It's a great company to start with and there are many opportunities to move laterally throughout the company. Benefits are very good and annual raises were received even in a tough economy. There is a great deal to be learned about great customer service from this leading company.

Cons

Movement within the company was mostly lateral, and even with a high level of education, I quickly reached the glass ceiling. Upper management was highly segregated from low level employees, however this is not the case for all locations and departments.

If someone scores very highly on the aptitude test but their degrees are in fields other than business, finance, or economics, consider the possibility that they could still make a great officer.

Amazing company, management, and leadership!

Current Employee - Vice President in Lakewood, CO
    Current Employee - Vice President in Lakewood, CO

I have been working at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, amazing culture, great training and leadership support. FirstBank has a storied history in Colorado, and has continue to stay true to its roots - customer service is held above all else, second only to loyalty to employees and officers.

Cons

As an officer, a reasonable work/life balance is very hard to achieve at times, though the compensation does mitigate a good deal of this problem. Though upper management has stated that work/life balance should be a priority for all officers, there hasn't been a great deal of real-world support for this statement.

Banking Officer

I have been working at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time

Pros

Great benefits, great company, know how to treat their employees right

Cons

Position was not what it was led to be during interviews, not much of a team-work environment more of a sink or swim figure it out mentality

More training.

Traditional Bank Afraid of Change

Former Employee - New Account Representative in Arvada, CO
    Former Employee - New Account Representative in Arvada, CO

I worked at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Firstbank stands out in that it's not a public institution. It's a privately owned local bank and that allows it to have greater allegiance to it's employees and customers than a publicly held firm would. They have very friendly customer service and have a very personal touch not seen in most banks.

Cons

Firstbank has two very big cons that standout above other banks. First, they don't use computers at the teller stations. This is to foster a more customer service approach. Firstbank does have the friendliest employees you'll find in banking but they are not quick by any means. A normal teller transaction will take you twice as along at Firstbank than it will anywhere else. The second major con is the management. There is a great divide between the officers and the frontline employees (tellers, new accounts, etc). The relationship would be similar to what a rancher (officers) has for it's cattle (frontline employees). Except my experience is that the rancher has a greater respect for the cattle than the officers do for the other employees.

Firstbank would be better off if it invested more in it's tellers and new account representatives. These two positions see more customers in an hour than most officers do in a month. Officers should do everything they can to ensure a happy staff, and then that staff will ensure a happy clientele.

Great company, good values, but low pay

Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They treat their employees great, like a small family. The company has good values as a whole, and they genuinely care about people.

Cons

The only con of this job is the low salary.

Banking Officer at FirstBank

Former Employee - Banking Officer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Banking Officer in Denver, CO

I worked at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good training. Most of your coworkers are smart people. It is a well known company locally which makes it easy to move to a different firm (particularly if you want to stay in banking).

Cons

Lack of flexibility. Limited work/life balance. Company began to focus on sales which resulted in a decrease in ethical business practices. Lack of ability to advance as promotions are based upon time spent with the company and not merit or ability.

A rewarding challenge

Current Employee - Senior Vice President
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President

I have been working at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Officer Role:
    Exposure to senior management, high level of responsibility/autonomy given to officers, trust from senior management that we are capable of handling that level of responsibility, constant growth/challenge, exposure to broad areas of knowledge in a generalist role.

FirstBank as a Company:
    Philanthropic, ethical in every way, conservative and thoughtful approach to business decisions which limits risk and exposure, fun, intelligent, and driven employees.

Cons

Officer Role:
    There is limited flexibility as we are tied to retail hours (typically 8-6). There is not an option to work from home or otherwise structure your own hours. There are very high expectations for officers and we run very lean, which can be challenging.

Continue to listen to your employees. It has served you well to be accessible and open to feedback and this should continue. Stay on top of trends and always be in a proactive, rather than reactive, state. Work to create more of a balance for your officers in terms of work-life vs. home-life.

Good benefits, poor management, no consistency between branches

Former Employee - Branch Supervisor in Aurora, MN
    Former Employee - Branch Supervisor in Aurora, MN

I worked at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training, fair workload, good benefits and PTO

Cons

Poor hiring decisions poor management and frustrating policies.

Get it together. Use your head and think about your actions before making decisions.

You're Working for a Bank

I have been working at FirstBank (Colorado) full-time

Pros

Good benefits and a lot of great people work here. Education and training to improve career is available and provided.

Cons

Dress code could loosen up a bit. Very conservative in all aspects of business - great for security of customer's personal information, but could stand to let up on some other areas. It would also be nice to adopt more of a "Google-view" on the work environment where modern perks make for a more enjoyable workday.

Just because an employee is sitting at their desk, that doesn't necessarily mean they are as productive as possible. A happy employee is a productive employee.

FirstBank (Colorado) Response

Jul 15, 2014Search Engine Manager

Thank you for your feedback, your sincerity is appreciated. We are always looking for more and better ways to keep our employees happy and will continue this approach in the future.

Great company to work for including benefits.

I have been working at FirstBank (Colorado)

Pros

Benefits, Compensation, company holiday party.

Cons

Management politics, also because of the companies philosophy they will find a petty reason to fire people before laying them off. Because of new technology and lack of training I was fired on a technicality that I had no responsibility for. They even tried to fight my unemployment insurance because they are incredibly cheap. Fortunately I won because the state could clearly see that I had no fault in the reason I was fired.

FirstBank (Colorado) Photos

Annual Employee BBQ Eating Contest
Halloween at FirstBank; our favorite holiday!
We love getting involved in our communities.

+ Add Photo