FirstCare Health Plans

great place

Former Employee - Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at FirstCare Health Plans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great place to work at. nice environment in the area i was in. receptive bosses, not micromanaged. plenty of experienced workers helped me learn my role

Cons

while this is a medium sized insurance company, has some stoggy, old school HMO mentality at time.

Good mid-level opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at FirstCare Health Plans full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For the most part, the employees are friendly and helpful - a very family kind of feel. There are many opportunities to learn and gain experience doing more than just your immediate job responsibility.

Cons

High stress to go along with high requirements in productivity. Multiple competing high priority projects/deadlines; short turn around required for many governmental requirements. Very political. Departments are very short staffed and have hard times getting back fill of employees that leave the company much less get new positions to help the current staff. Departments are heavily segregated and the "hand-off" of work between them is often hodgepodge or not there at all. Lately, there is a call to eliminate the flexible work schedule and work from home abilities of many of the employees - which was one of the pros of working here.

Reward your employees with more flex-time, don't take it away. You have several departments on non-hourly employees that work minimum 50 hour work weeks. Stop trying to make every employee the same; they aren't. Figure out your priorities as a group and then delegate to the mid-to-low level staff. Be more involved in the day to day activities, I rarely see top management.

Great place to gain experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I have been working at FirstCare Health Plans full-time for less than a year

Pros

For the most part, the employees are friendly and helpful. There are many opportunities to learn and gain experience doing more than just your immediate job responsibility. Management is receptive to recommendations and concerns of lower level employees and is very supportive and encouraging in response to hard work.

Cons

The company is undergoing drastic changes and many of the departments seem short staffed and unable to keep up with the amount of incoming business. Work load is high and stress level is also high. Though the work flow in many departments relies heavily on the productivity in other departments, it often seems like there is no clear procedure by which work is processed. This leads to unclear communication between departments and a slow, sometimes frustrating, work flow.

It often seems like there should be tighter regulation of employees during work hours. Processes should be more standardized and clearly defined, especially those that involve cross over between departments.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start out

Current Employee - Claims Analyst  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at FirstCare Health Plans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of work to do within the company, job security. Hire within before hiring in new workers. Offer over time paying at time and a half. Offer the same training to everyone for the specific job be hired for, no matter previous knowledge. Management is trying to make the workplace better.

Cons

Work environment is structured to the extreme, but is not consistent to everyone. Mandatory overtime takes place every couple of months. Pay is below industry average and you have to work over time to pick up the slack on pay.

Rep

I worked at FirstCare Health Plans for more than a year

Pros

Hr getting improved once they made the replacement

Cons

Bad management in the call center.

A small company going through drastic changes.

Former Employee - Health Data Analyst  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Health Data Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at FirstCare Health Plans full-time for more than a year

Pros

The small company atmosphere was nice because it's like a small family. They are very active with social activities in which you can invite your family. They pay an average salary and they treat their employees professionally. They workplace is very clean and it's kept up to near-new condition. Additionally, there's a good work-life balance. The location is in a neighborhood (which includes a library about 1/2 block away), adding to the overall sense of a family-friendly workplace.

Cons

During my tenure, a temporary CEO was hired to "remake" the company. He ended up cutting about 30-40% of the staff through two rounds of layoffs a year apart. Since I was part of one of those rounds of layoffs, I can't speak much to where the company currently stands, but while layoffs may be good for the bottom-line and to "realign" the strategy, I can't imagine them being good for morale. Consequentially, I would guess there's a little less of a "family" feel to the company and more of a "down to work" sense. Regarding promotion, it seemed most of the upper-management had been there for quite a while, so promotion was probably slow in coming.

Try to evaluate employees' actual skill sets and abilities as opposed to making organizational decisions based on office politics.

Pre auth Dept

Current Employee - Medical Management  in  Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Medical Management in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at FirstCare Health Plans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lunch provided sometimes when we have mandatory Overtime and u can eat at your desk.

Cons

Very stressful most of the time, not the work but the supervisor and team leads . They are not the kind of people you enjoy spending 8 hours around. They Have very High expectations from us reps yet dont want to assist. So what if they are ancient and been with the company for years we are all qualified to perform the duties or we wouldnt be there and deserve the same respect. Its common courtesy. leads talk disrespectful to the supervisor which is not professional. They expect us to only talk while on breaks and lunches, which we do not always get to take because we have mandatory overtime,but believe sup and lead take their breaks and lunches , while in available non acd status, how convenient for their pay checks. Id have to be one of their beasties and buy them protein shakes to make it til next tear,but nah ill take my chances and make sure to dot all my i`s and cross all my t`s.

Monitor the teams leads job performance and willingness to help the reps. . They may need to re take oz traing. A enhanced version.

I have worked in Case Management pre auth for a lil over a year.

Current Employee - Case Management Pre Auth  in  Lubbock, TX
    Current Employee - Case Management Pre Auth in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at FirstCare Health Plans full-time for more than a year

Pros

In other departments you hear them working as a team, and are more laid back everyone gets along (atleast that's what they show at work) you don't see the favoritism.

Cons

There is more of a turnaround in the case management Pre Auth department, so many have taken the matters to HR and things only get worse then better, what I'm talking about is favoritism, we cant work as a team we can only go to leads and supervisor for questions, as they say every case is case by case there is nothing set, so if one thing is said for one member it doesn't mean the next member will be the same so we tend to get more errors then any department, and with new templete God forbid we misspell anything wrong or forget to change something on it because in one template you can get up to 10-15errors on the notes alone, and as far as favoritism you can tell which employees are favored and the ones that are being stalked to get rid of. employees need to be appreciated to better enhance their work production. when people come and go in the department it causes to get further behind, having 300-500 faxes is not a good sign. taking some employees off the phones too handle other projects makes the call volume stressful and there also getting errors because trying so hard to get the providers from not holding so long. Being trained more for one product then the other and being told you have to help in that product you don't know much about is also stressful. All the employees are unhappy but yet greatful in having a job but most are looking for somewhere else to go just staying here for the meantime, this being said I believe this issue needs to be addressed to better relate supervisors with employee's of which will enhance job security and participation and willingness of an employee to appreciate their job.

I think that an error should be only if it is going to cause billing issues, not if the notes have misspellings or forgot to put Dr' s first name or initial of person that called, nor should there be any favoritism in the work place everyone should be treated equally whether you hang around them out of work or not. We should be able to work as a team if we are going to be a team. there shouldn't be no case by case issues cause when we ask about it we are told we are repeating questions, there needs to be more of a set guideline on everything so it won't be repeated.

Convoluted Company

Current Employee - Administrative  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative in Austin, TX

I have been working at FirstCare Health Plans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice coworkers, nice environment, employees are paid fairly and competitively in comparison to the same position within similar positions within the same type of industry.

Cons

Too much emphasis on cross training, at least within the group of temp employees. Talent, resources and skills of employees are diluted by this over emphasis. "Jack of all trades, master at none" sums up the culture of Firstcare.

Change your strategy and if you must retain the idea of cross training your employees, then do it wisely and sparingly. Your company would benefit more by promoting stability and productivity within your employees by allowing them to stay in one job role. This way the greatest level of productivity and accuracy would be achieved by each employee within their particular role, thus benefiting your company as a whole.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at FirstCare Health Plans

Pros

Great People, Great Teams, wonderful experience

Cons

Can have disorder at times, lots of change going on.

FirstCare Health Plans Photos

Halloween 2011
Book Fair
Health Fair 2012

+ Add Photo

Worked for FirstCare Health Plans? Contribute to the Community!