FirstComp Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
Updated August 22, 2014

2.6

Luke Yeransian

Great young company but the pay is quite low

Former Employee - Claims  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Claims in Omaha, NE

I worked at FirstComp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, work was every changing. They knew the power of benefits. Offered above average package including same-sex benefits.

Cons

Typical big business, there was always a disconnect between management and employees. The amount of work they ask salaried employees to perform was a bit much. However, 10g more in pay would have been adequate. I was at 28 as an adjuster, 38 is not a high salary.

Potential but lacking

I have been working at FirstComp full-time

Pros

Best Co-workers you could ask for. It is a young environment, and great chance to get your start if you are not experienced.

Cons

Pay is awful, they are off by a minimum of 10K for some areas, and as much as 15k in others. They will work you to the bone and show zero appreciation. There is no reward for hard work, since it is completely expected. If you have a family or plan to have a family this is not the company for you.
    There is no work/life balance. Management has gone as far to say "It takes however long it takes you, and I expect it to be done". Workload is that of 1.5 people to 2 per one person. Some departments easily work 60 hour work weeks without quality pay to show for the work. They had a huge layoff in 2008/2009 and have since expected their employees to pick up the workload without any compensation. Management claims open door policy, However, you are looked down upon for using that policy.
    Some departments discourage you from taking even a 30 minute lunch away from your desk. They do not have any company events for employees to show appreciation. The few times they have their have been managers to discourage employees from going.
    Communication is lacking and never consistent or helpful.

Management could go to bat for their employees and work on getting base pay raised. Feedback once in a while would be helpful. Reward your employees once they have the experience, or if you think they are important or beneficial to the company.

Excellent growth opportunities

I worked at FirstComp

Pros

Management cares about employees

Cons

A lot of change going on

Give employees feeling of stability

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced company. Progressive. Has developed a great culture.

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at FirstComp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly and caring employees. Competitive by nature. Young management

Cons

Rigid in their underwriting. Develops underwriters from within organization. Not very interested in employees with outside insurance experience. Since most employees in every department were trained without any insurance experience they do not relate to the problems and concerns that the independent agents bring to their attention. FirstComp's way or the highway.

Learn to listen to the problems your agents are facing

Poor management with no opportunity for growth.

I have been working at FirstComp

Pros

A good group of coworkers but poor management.

Cons

No work life balance or flexibility, no opportunity for advancement, terrible management

Since leaving I have heard there have been many organizational changes, I hope thinks are better than they were when I left!

Excellent company with great growth potential. Subpar local management.

Former Employee - Claims  in  Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Claims in Warwick, RI

I worked at FirstComp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company's home office is staffed with really great professionals who are focused on the success of their employees. This was not the case with the Rhode Island office. The work life balance was generally good, although there are times that overtime was needed. The benefit was that this could be done from home on your own schedule.

Cons

Childish management style where favorites are rewarded and those that work hard and have the most experience are swept aside.

Look for new local management.

Hard work will pay off

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at FirstComp full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

In a very competitive industry, they find ways to navigate with breakthrough technology and
    continuous improvement and invest in their employees even through turbulent times. Addressing an issue not frowned upon, coming up with solutions to improve your success is embraced. Very rare for a company of this size.

Cons

Some employees rather negative, if your not part of the solution move on.

Continue to develop new positions; Markel opened up the window to offer endless programs to our agents.

Poor salary given market averages

Current Employee - Underwriter  in  Henderson, NV
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Henderson, NV

I have been working at FirstComp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Relaxed environment, friendly co-workers, excellent 401k, lots of vacation time. Good operational guidance passed down from parent company Markel

Cons

poor salary, no structured tree for salary increases, raises, bonuses, etc. Lack of team building activities, lack of true structured HR department

Better structure, better pay

Worst employer ever

Former Employee - Underwriter  in  Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Underwriter in Henderson, NV

I worked at FirstComp

Pros

Congenial peers were nice at least

Cons

Incompetent management brings the company down

Now that Markel is in charge get rid of micro-middle-miserable managers

Okay Place

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Omaha, NE

I worked at FirstComp

Pros

Worked in AR...they we're flexible with when I could start and when I could leave.
    As long as I was getting my 40 hours a week in and meeting my productivity targets they were pleased.

Cons

As long as I was getting my 40 hours a week in and meeting my productivity targets, they left me alone. No feedback. Superiors were quick to dismiss ideas on how productivity and efficiency could be improved.

Management on the whole is competent. Some of the hiring practices could be considered unethical, despite them being smart business practices.

Don't wait till your best people are about to leave before recognizing that they are valued employees. Offer promotions before something better comes up. Nobody wants to work at a place where they are treated poorly and then sucked up to when they are about to leave. That environment does not breed respect.

Worked for FirstComp? Contribute to the Community!