FirstComp

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Luke Yeransian

Excellent company with great growth potential. Subpar local management.

Claims (Former Employee) Warwick, RI

ProsThe company's home office is staffed with really great professionals who are focused on the success of their employees. This was not the case with the Rhode Island office. The work life balance was generally good, although there are times that overtime was needed. The benefit was that this could be done from home on your own schedule.

ConsChildish management style where favorites are rewarded and those that work hard and have the most experience are swept aside.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for new local management.

Poor management with no opportunity for growth.

ProsA good group of coworkers but poor management.

ConsNo work life balance or flexibility, no opportunity for advancement, terrible management

Advice to Senior ManagementSince leaving I have heard there have been many organizational changes, I hope thinks are better than they were when I left!

Hard work will pay off

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIn a very competitive industry, they find ways to navigate with breakthrough technology and
    continuous improvement and invest in their employees even through turbulent times. Addressing an issue not frowned upon, coming up with solutions to improve your success is embraced. Very rare for a company of this size.

ConsSome employees rather negative, if your not part of the solution move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop new positions; Markel opened up the window to offer endless programs to our agents.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor salary given market averages

Underwriter (Current Employee) Henderson, NV

ProsRelaxed environment, friendly co-workers, excellent 401k, lots of vacation time. Good operational guidance passed down from parent company Markel

Conspoor salary, no structured tree for salary increases, raises, bonuses, etc. Lack of team building activities, lack of true structured HR department

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter structure, better pay

Worst employer ever

Underwriter (Former Employee) Henderson, NV

ProsCongenial peers were nice at least

ConsIncompetent management brings the company down

Advice to Senior ManagementNow that Markel is in charge get rid of micro-middle-miserable managers

Okay Place

Accounts Receivable (Former Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsWorked in AR...they we're flexible with when I could start and when I could leave.
    As long as I was getting my 40 hours a week in and meeting my productivity targets they were pleased.

ConsAs long as I was getting my 40 hours a week in and meeting my productivity targets, they left me alone. No feedback. Superiors were quick to dismiss ideas on how productivity and efficiency could be improved.

Management on the whole is competent. Some of the hiring practices could be considered unethical, despite them being smart business practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't wait till your best people are about to leave before recognizing that they are valued employees. Offer promotions before something better comes up. Nobody wants to work at a place where they are treated poorly and then sucked up to when they are about to leave. That environment does not breed respect.

Awful place to work

Premium Specialist (Current Employee) Henderson, NV

ProsGreat co-workers, nice location, and health benefits are decent.

ConsThe audit department is slowly deteriorating. People have been quitting due to micromanagement from upper management. It's a horrible working environment where there are constant threats to fire you over something trivial. Verbal abuse is rampant. The job duties are not what is stated in the ad. Don't be fooled into taking this job. You will regret it. If you enjoy dealing with the erratic, micro-managing, upper-management who verbally abuses you in front of other employees, then this job is for you. It's not a 40 hour a week job. They will threaten to fire you if you don't work over 40 hours. There is no overtime pay either. Seeing people cry, get stressed, or irate is a common occurrence here. I don't know anyone who wants to stay at this job. They are staying because they have mouths to feed and due to the lack of good jobs out there, not because they want to.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about treating employees with respect?

FirstComp is a good place to work.

Compliance (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsMost everyone is nice and are willing to help out. If you have questions, most people are willing to help right away. FirstComp has great health benefits for employees. They have recently revised their performance review process and use the SMART goal process which is an effective way to measure employee performance. There is now a mid-year review process which is great just to ensure you are still on track with goals. The technology at FirstComp is great and they always provide adequate, fairly new equipment to work with which is nice. Communication with supervisors is a fairly open policy so when the need arises you can talk anytime.

ConsYou or your family must know certain people in the company in order to move up. It is very difficult for the average person coming in brand new to move up in the company. Budget cuts have been put into place because of the economy which effects little perks for employees. Processes change frequently so if you don't like change it wouldn't be good for you. Some departments do their own thing and stray away from the company philosophy which makes it difficult to know which mission statement to follow. The department mission statement or the company mission statement? Management styles differ among departments so what works in one area does not work in another.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf employees feel appreciated then they will perform better. There used to be wonderful holiday parties and family gatherings and now we don't have that. It makes people less motivated.

Difficult to adapt to environment

Sales Manager (Former Employee) New England (Jamaica)

ProsGood company for their specialty

ConsOverly reliant on systems and lack of support

Advice to Senior ManagementMore flexibility for sales team

Good IT systems, poor talent

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Compensatation was in line with the industry
    - Small company offering opportunities might not seen elsewhere
    - One of the best IT systems to work with

Cons- Couldn't retain the good talent
    - Not a very professional work environment
    - Senior management is very smart, but front line managers needed work

Advice to Senior ManagementThe potential for FirstComp is great with a fantastic quoting/issuing system making it easy to do business with. Work needs to be placed on retaining the best employees.

Worked for FirstComp? Contribute to the Community!