FirstEnergy

FirstEnergy Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

FirstEnergy President, CEO and Director Anthony J. Alexander

Anthony J. Alexander

Pros
  • Good pay, fairly good benefits, a lot of good people(in 8 reviews)

• Offered good pay compared to other call centers in the area(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours -- there is no work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• upper management is disconnected from the day to day operations(in 6 reviews)

Busy, but rewarding...

Business Analyst II (Former Employee) Brecksville, OH

ProsI was proud too be a part of a solid company from the beginning. I really liked the wide range of responsibilities I carried my whole time there. Being surrounded by people that had 20+ years service was a good way to learn about the company and how I would be able to help. I was allowed to improve how things were being done for the good of the department.

ConsFirstEnergy has spent the last few years learning that they are not good at making adjustments due to the market. That has made it very difficult to succeed with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest that management looks more into the future when making decisions...and more important, speak with their subordinates to guarantee that they are working on an actual issue. Too many decisions made from things that really had no bearing on the company as a whole.

Analyst

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsCo- workers, especially those who worked hard to make end meet but did not get recognized for their hard work.

Constoo political. If you work hard but your manager doesn't like you, that's it you're done. Promotion not base on performance but based on who you know. You could be a great worker and work for 15 -20 years, you will stuck in the same position forever.

Advice to Senior Managementreward people for their performance. Get rid of those who under performed.

Fast growing company, with an unfortunate corporate system.

Help Desk Engineer (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsCompany stability, benefits, and job stability.

ConsCorporate managing and guidelines. Poor management and selection. Hard work does not capitalize advancements.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing on employees that provide good results and hard work for advancement rather than people that work their way up by knowing the right people and how much they "A" they kiss.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meh

Analyst II (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsWhere else you gonna work? It's Akron.

ConsConstant layoffs. Constant strategy shifts. Short-term thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't spend $100M + naming a stadium.

Loved going to work every single day

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe travel to all different plants around the north east is fun and makes the work day go fast. It is a good way of networking and being able to keep in contact with as many people as possible. The pay is also very good.

ConsSome people are tough nosed people and have to have thick skin. It's 100 percent travel all day everyday. If you don't like to travel do not take this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe hire on more people to decrease the travel

FirstEnergy can offer real opportunities

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsI've worked with and learned from a lot of great and talented people. Opportunities for exposure to other departments, job responsibilities are available.

ConsSomewhat unpredictable due to the nature of the utility industry. Periodic restructuring, reorganization is not uncommon.
    Company is pretty conservative, again that is found a lot w/in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect everyone, not just those who are "connected."

Good environment. Very good benefits. Great people.

Staff Business Analyst (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsGreat people. Interesting, dynamic industry.

ConsNepotism runs rampant. More focused on pleasing Wall Street than employees or customers.

Corp. Giant insensitive to loyal employees futures.

Operations Specialist B (Former Employee) Masontown, PA

ProsThey not only generate power, they own some very strategic transmission lines.

ConsI moved out of state to begin my career with FE, 4/8/13. Out of nowhere, 7/9/13, they announced they would deactivate our plant in 90 days. They did, and SEVERED us!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen making corp. decisions, take into consideration the effects your decisions will have upon the futures of your loyal employees & their families.

Ok Company, no growth potential

Energy Delivery Utilities (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsGreat co-workers, clean facilities, 10 operating companies. If you are ok with just staying where you are and not advancing at all into a different department or to management it is a reasonable place to work. Fairly consistent.

ConsNo room for growth, no promotions, mediocre salary. If you would like to move up in your position this is not the place for you. Be prepared to stay where you are for a very long time. First Energy is always in a budget crisis and it always effects everyone except senior leadership and above. You cannot say no to storm work. Even in the event of family emergency. I was told my job would be in jeopardy when I turned down outage work. Outages could last 16 - 20 days straight of working 16 hour shifts. No rotations or days off during storm mode.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire within, stop promoting your friends, quit treating employees as if they are disposable, understand life/work balance other than your own.

Constant layoffs = increasing workload

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsWorked with fun people; had the opportunity to work with many different departments on projects

ConsConstant cycle of lots of hiring then a lot of layoffs; no work/life balance - expected to work late/weekends to get the job done; not sufficient customer systems for the number of customers expected to be able to manage

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some time getting to know the lower jobs to see what really goes on

Worked for FirstEnergy? Contribute to the Community!