FirstEnergy

FirstEnergy Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2014

FirstEnergy President, CEO and Director Anthony J. Alexander

Anthony J. Alexander

Pros:
  • "Good pay, fairly good benefits, a lot of good people"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Good pay and benefits, no pressure to work overtime, good sense of work life balance and normally promote from within"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-Life balance does not exist here"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Upper Management does not engage employees to have a voice into the success of the company as a whole"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Corporate

I have been working at FirstEnergy

ProsCompensation is fair compared to the regon. The office is professional. It is nice to work in an office filled with good people.

ConsFirstEnergy can require a lot of overtime. Overtime can require a lot of weekend face time. FirstEnergy does not always acknowledge the extra effort.

Co-Op experience

Technical Engineer - Co-Op (Former Employee)
Shippingport, PA

I worked at FirstEnergy

ProsPeople were very friendly and helpful
Hourly wage was competitive compared to other companies
Safety was very important in the plant environment

ConsThe fossil generation side is not hiring much due to the increased restrictions the government is placing on environmental regulations

Advice to Senior ManagementWork together between the different teams in the plant

Good Place to work

Nuclear Reactor Engineer (Current Employee)
Perry, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy

ProsBest people I ever worked for.
Lots of guys retiring over the next 10 years...lots of room for advancement
Management always willing to help and answer questions

ConsThe pay is under industry average. Its good money for single kids fresh out of college, but if you have a family...your not saving any money...and could barely afford a house

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is very good at First Energy

3 years In

I have been working at FirstEnergy

ProsFirstEnergy allows a good balance between work / home when needed. Pay is competitive. There is a lot of freedom to do what you can, get the job donie the best way which makes it more enjoyable.

ConsIt is a very lareg company which sometimes makes you feel like a 'number' instead of a person. Sometimes I question the opportunity to advance,

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to come 'down to the working persons level' once in a while. understand day to day jobs and what we actualy do...te 'physical labor' end of the company. Not bean counters

Overall Good Place

Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at FirstEnergy

ProsThe pay at FirstEnergy is more than other area companies. Employees are encouraged to "move up the ladder" through promotions and lateral moves, which is very appealing to a younger audience. Feedback on job performance is thorough and is given at least twice a year. Overall, its a good place to start or develop a career.

ConsParking is limited at the Corporate Office (although steps have been taken recently to improve). Management tends to have an "alarmist" viewpoint. Even though goals are met and even exceeded, they will paint a gloomy picture.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend that Senior Management be more open with employees and communicate honestly with them. Sometimes, I can't help but feel that they are not telling the truth.

FirstEnergy - overall not a bad place to be

IT Systems Operation Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at FirstEnergy

ProsIt's a large company, so plenty of other departments, managers, locations to go if you don't like your current manager, position, or location. The compensation is good compared to jobs in smaller companies. (Not sure how it rates compared to other large companies.) Benefits are excellent compared to most companies I'm familiar with, other than exceptions such as Google.

ConsThe typical ones found in a large company: bureaucracy, sometimes stifling. However, this varies a lot based on your manager, department, position, and reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Good benefits, choose your manager carefully

IT BUS Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits package - 401K, Pension, Insurance, Time Off

ConsOld school mentality, can be a Good Ol' Boys network, expect long hours. Your work environment is very dependent on your reporting structure

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency across managers and an environment where promotions and praise are based on work rather than relationships would go a long way.

FirstEnergy is a good place to work, but is not without its flaws.

IT Systems Operations Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at FirstEnergy

ProsExcellent benefits include 401(k) with employer matching (up to 6 percent). Additional 6% employer matching based on corporate objectives. There are many great opportunities for advancement. Because this company has had deficiencies in certain areas in the past that have had a major negative impact, it has worked hard to turn its image around. FirstEnergy now is beginning to be a leader in corporate implementation of Information Technologies. There are other areas that were turned around in a similar manner. Opportunities exist all over FirstEnergy.

ConsSometimes too structured. Separation of duties makes it difficult to get access to resources (access to systems and facilities).

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it easier to gain access to required resources.

Pays the bills but it sucks the life out of you.

I have been working at FirstEnergy

ProsGood people for the most part,

ConsThe organization as a whole

Advice to Senior ManagementFire people who are deserving, keeping them around makes other less satisfied with their jobs

Fourteen Years

Nuclear Specialist (Current Employee)
Shippingport, PA

I have been working at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood pay, fairly good benefits, a lot of good people. I have had the opportunity to work on a lot of important projects. FirstEnergy has a lot of money available to them, and when necessary, they take actions to improve their generating stations.

ConsSome managers are focused but others have been very incompetent, bull headed, and very difficult to deal with. Some management decisions have been very poor, and for some projects, a lack of implementation and training after "go live". FirstEnergy tends to just "throw things" at the employees, and let them deal with the issues that result.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage their employees to build teams based on systems that are common across the fleet. In some cases, corporate support for some nuclear departments is non-existent, and this needs to be addressed at a high level.

Worked for FirstEnergy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FirstEnergy reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FirstEnergy CEO Anthony J. Alexander. All 90 reviews posted anonymously by FirstEnergy employees.