FirstEnergy Reviews

Updated August 5, 2014

3.2

FirstEnergy President, CEO and Director Anthony J. Alexander
Anthony J. Alexander

Pros
  • Good pay, fairly good benefits, a lot of good people (in 8 reviews)

• Offered good pay compared to other call centers in the area (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours -- there is no work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• upper management is disconnected from the day to day operations (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Life at First Energy call center

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management realizes what a difficult job customer service reps have. There is an excellent management team at the customer service center.

Cons

The biggest complaint would be having to be available for up to 16 hours at a stretch during storms and outages. The reps can't tell the customers anything more than what's available online or on automated voice messaging when outages occur during the night and off hours.

Share positive comments with customer service representatives more often, not just negative feedback. Also, please do not monitor every single second of the day for phone reps as it is a very stressful job without having that added. Responsible reps are going to do their job whether or not they're being scrutinized every waking moment.

A good company if the Feds don't drive electrical utilities into the ground.

Current Employee - Safety Representative  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Safety Representative in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits which still include decent healthcare, pension and 401k. Vacation standard amongst piers. Depending on the office area, the environment is easy to work in.

Cons

Governmental regulation of coal and clean air laws that the EPA admits won't affect carbon emissions would cost utilities billions to enact or they close plants. Business units often have redundant departments

Better support professional development and certification maintenance.

A good place to work

Former Employee - Manager  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Manager in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits, no pressure to work overtime, good sense of work life balance and normally promote from within

Cons

Too much emphasis on who you know as opposed to what you know. Not the easiest place to get integrated into the culture for experienced personnel

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company

I have been working at FirstEnergy full-time

Pros

Caring management, great coworkers, nice environment

Cons

Old-school mentality when it comes to promoting and developing young talent

Overall good

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people. Some of the nicest I've worked with.

Cons

A slow moving, boys club. Seemed like everyone in leadership went to college together. Not a company quick to pick up on new innovative ideas or concepts. If you want to sit back and coast, this could be the place for you.

Get engaged!

Busy, but rewarding...

Former Employee - Business Analyst II  in  Brecksville, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Brecksville, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I was proud too be a part of a solid company from the beginning. I really liked the wide range of responsibilities I carried my whole time there. Being surrounded by people that had 20+ years service was a good way to learn about the company and how I would be able to help. I was allowed to improve how things were being done for the good of the department.

Cons

FirstEnergy has spent the last few years learning that they are not good at making adjustments due to the market. That has made it very difficult to succeed with the company.

I would suggest that management looks more into the future when making decisions...and more important, speak with their subordinates to guarantee that they are working on an actual issue. Too many decisions made from things that really had no bearing on the company as a whole.

FirstEnergy can offer real opportunities

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've worked with and learned from a lot of great and talented people. Opportunities for exposure to other departments, job responsibilities are available.

Cons

Somewhat unpredictable due to the nature of the utility industry. Periodic restructuring, reorganization is not uncommon.
    Company is pretty conservative, again that is found a lot w/in the industry.

Respect everyone, not just those who are "connected."

Good environment. Very good benefits. Great people.

Former Employee - Staff Business Analyst  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Staff Business Analyst in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great people. Interesting, dynamic industry.

Cons

Nepotism runs rampant. More focused on pleasing Wall Street than employees or customers.

Very Professional

I have been working at FirstEnergy full-time

Pros

Current department and leadership are top notch - very welcoming and offer up help if needed!

Cons

Compensation is below average based on research

Excellent management, but slow-moving, risk-averse business and industry

Former Employee - IT Technical Specialist  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - IT Technical Specialist in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They hire top-notch people so you will almost always work with others who are talented and motivated. Most groups are excellent at managing complex projects and there is almost nothing that intimidates the leaders who have navigated difficult things in the past. Pay is competitive and there are typically good opportunities for motivated people to advance.

Cons

Its a place where the focus is literally keeping the lights on. You're not likely to be at the bleeding edge of any discipline while working at FE. It's primarily about risk management and choosing the solution that solves the problem with the lowest potential impact. The company itself has a more traditional culture, although some groups are trying to change that and are accepting of more flexible and contemporary policies and management styles. Still, it can be a bit stifling at times and the general practice is to follow what has worked in the past rather than try something completely new.

This is a well managed company. I almost never encountered a leader that didn't have a great deal of knowledge, experience, and insight to offer. Most managers are generally good to work with and for. It's rare to find someone who's not cut out for their role as a leader. The only advice I would have is to make sure to keep talented employees engaged in challenging work and offer them the opportunity to continually expand their roles and responsibilities.

Worked for FirstEnergy? Contribute to the Community!