FirstEnergy

Updated September 12, 2014
3.2

FirstEnergy President, CEO and Director Anthony J. Alexander
Anthony J. Alexander

Pros
  • Good pay, fairly good benefits, a lot of good people (in 8 reviews)

• Offered good pay compared to other call centers in the area (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours -- there is no work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• upper management is disconnected from the day to day operations (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok Company, no growth potential

Current Employee - Energy Delivery Utilities  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Energy Delivery Utilities in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great co-workers, clean facilities, 10 operating companies. If you are ok with just staying where you are and not advancing at all into a different department or to management it is a reasonable place to work. Fairly consistent.

Cons

No room for growth, no promotions, mediocre salary. If you would like to move up in your position this is not the place for you. Be prepared to stay where you are for a very long time. First Energy is always in a budget crisis and it always effects everyone except senior leadership and above. You cannot say no to storm work. Even in the event of family emergency. I was told my job would be in jeopardy when I turned down outage work. Outages could last 16 - 20 days straight of working 16 hour shifts. No rotations or days off during storm mode.

Hire within, stop promoting your friends, quit treating employees as if they are disposable, understand life/work balance other than your own.

Constant layoffs = increasing workload

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Worked with fun people; had the opportunity to work with many different departments on projects

Cons

Constant cycle of lots of hiring then a lot of layoffs; no work/life balance - expected to work late/weekends to get the job done; not sufficient customer systems for the number of customers expected to be able to manage

Spend some time getting to know the lower jobs to see what really goes on

Underwhelmed

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Accountant in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salaries are similar to other companies.

Cons

There is little chance of advancement.

Respect all employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent management, but slow-moving, risk-averse business and industry

Former Employee - IT Technical Specialist  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - IT Technical Specialist in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They hire top-notch people so you will almost always work with others who are talented and motivated. Most groups are excellent at managing complex projects and there is almost nothing that intimidates the leaders who have navigated difficult things in the past. Pay is competitive and there are typically good opportunities for motivated people to advance.

Cons

Its a place where the focus is literally keeping the lights on. You're not likely to be at the bleeding edge of any discipline while working at FE. It's primarily about risk management and choosing the solution that solves the problem with the lowest potential impact. The company itself has a more traditional culture, although some groups are trying to change that and are accepting of more flexible and contemporary policies and management styles. Still, it can be a bit stifling at times and the general practice is to follow what has worked in the past rather than try something completely new.

This is a well managed company. I almost never encountered a leader that didn't have a great deal of knowledge, experience, and insight to offer. Most managers are generally good to work with and for. It's rare to find someone who's not cut out for their role as a leader. The only advice I would have is to make sure to keep talented employees engaged in challenging work and offer them the opportunity to continually expand their roles and responsibilities.

An interesting Career

Former Employee - Control Room Operator-Drum/Rovering Operator  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Control Room Operator-Drum/Rovering Operator in Cleveland, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people that I worked with. Interesting work that a lot of people would not understand and unusual circumstances. I am now retired.

Cons

The biggest Con was working rotating shifts, changing shifts every seven days, working weekends, and holidays.

Listen and respect the people that work for you. There experience speaks volumes.

I have been told I am a valuable asset to the company and have alot of potential.

I have been working at FirstEnergy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are good, Work environment is good, coworkers always ask for my input.

Cons

Upper Management does not engage employees to have a voice into the success of the company as a whole

Why are the Rules of Engagement not being used to have an open dialog with employee across the company

First Energy Shows its Age in its Technology

Former Employee - Nuclear Engineer II  in  Shippingport, PA
    Former Employee - Nuclear Engineer II in Shippingport, PA

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have an inviting group of workers. They are very willing to mentor or take you under their wing to show you what is what.

Cons

Dated technology makes completed job assignments difficult. You need to know who to talk to in order to get the information you might need to start/finish a task. Their FileNet system is dated and the search function provides less results depending on how you enter the text. All drawings, calculations, information is not available on FileNet requiring you to search through aperture cards or film reels to find drawings or calculations.

Advance with the times and the generation you are about to hire. They are a generation of information being at their fingertips and become easily discouraged when they have to sort through files/paperwork for information. Listen to the complaints of current employees and do what you can to keep them aboard.

Great place to work

I worked at FirstEnergy

Pros

Great people, great team environment

Cons

Employees have to pay high insurance premiums

Customer Service Rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Reading, PA

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time for more than a year

Pros

OT available, Supportive co-workers, Decent benefits (once you're hired), Pension, decent pay for a call center.

Cons

Terrible management, micro-management, Unrealistic stats expected, No flexibility, Highest turnover I've ever seen-you honestly feel like you work in a sweat shop. Don't work here unless you desperately need income and you don't plan to stay for more than a few months. You'll work late at night, weekends, early mornings if there are any kind of outages. (And there always are because FE has grown so large that they can't feasibly take care of their equipment). On-call weeks, be prepared to work holidays if there are outages as well. You can't bid out of the call center until after two years. You can't leave at the end of your shift until all calls are clear. You are told when to take your 2 -15 min breaks and your 30 min break. often times the bathroom is full or closed for cleaning so you generally get stuck not going. Angry customers on phone complaining about their bill, costs, lack of service with equipment and long call waits.

Be realistic when training new hires. All we heard was how wonderful the company is. Nothing was mentioned that it would be very difficult to obtain stats required. Our class of 25 had 8 left after six months and one left after 2 years.

Regulatory Compliance is the main goal at this company location

I worked at FirstEnergy

Pros

Relatively high local job security

Cons

Lack of local leadership
    Bare bones funding

Worked for FirstEnergy? Contribute to the Community!