FirstEnergy

FirstEnergy Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

FirstEnergy President, CEO and Director Anthony J. Alexander

Anthony J. Alexander

Pros
  • Good pay, fairly good benefits, a lot of good people (in 8 reviews)

• Offered good pay compared to other call centers in the area (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours -- there is no work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• upper management is disconnected from the day to day operations (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok Company, no growth potential

Energy Delivery Utilities (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsGreat co-workers, clean facilities, 10 operating companies. If you are ok with just staying where you are and not advancing at all into a different department or to management it is a reasonable place to work. Fairly consistent.

ConsNo room for growth, no promotions, mediocre salary. If you would like to move up in your position this is not the place for you. Be prepared to stay where you are for a very long time. First Energy is always in a budget crisis and it always effects everyone except senior leadership and above. You cannot say no to storm work. Even in the event of family emergency. I was told my job would be in jeopardy when I turned down outage work. Outages could last 16 - 20 days straight of working 16 hour shifts. No rotations or days off during storm mode.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire within, stop promoting your friends, quit treating employees as if they are disposable, understand life/work balance other than your own.

Underwhelmed

Accountant (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsSalaries are similar to other companies.

ConsThere is little chance of advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect all employees

I have been told I am a valuable asset to the company and have alot of potential.

ProsBenefits are good, Work environment is good, coworkers always ask for my input.

ConsUpper Management does not engage employees to have a voice into the success of the company as a whole

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy are the Rules of Engagement not being used to have an open dialog with employee across the company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

First Energy Shows its Age in its Technology

Nuclear Engineer II (Former Employee) Shippingport, PA

ProsThey have an inviting group of workers. They are very willing to mentor or take you under their wing to show you what is what.

ConsDated technology makes completed job assignments difficult. You need to know who to talk to in order to get the information you might need to start/finish a task. Their FileNet system is dated and the search function provides less results depending on how you enter the text. All drawings, calculations, information is not available on FileNet requiring you to search through aperture cards or film reels to find drawings or calculations.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvance with the times and the generation you are about to hire. They are a generation of information being at their fingertips and become easily discouraged when they have to sort through files/paperwork for information. Listen to the complaints of current employees and do what you can to keep them aboard.

An interesting Career

Control Room Operator-Drum/Rovering Operator (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGood people that I worked with. Interesting work that a lot of people would not understand and unusual circumstances. I am now retired.

ConsThe biggest Con was working rotating shifts, changing shifts every seven days, working weekends, and holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen and respect the people that work for you. There experience speaks volumes.

Customer Service Rep

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Reading, PA

ProsOT available, Supportive co-workers, Decent benefits (once you're hired), Pension, decent pay for a call center.

ConsTerrible management, micro-management, Unrealistic stats expected, No flexibility, Highest turnover I've ever seen-you honestly feel like you work in a sweat shop. Don't work here unless you desperately need income and you don't plan to stay for more than a few months. You'll work late at night, weekends, early mornings if there are any kind of outages. (And there always are because FE has grown so large that they can't feasibly take care of their equipment). On-call weeks, be prepared to work holidays if there are outages as well. You can't bid out of the call center until after two years. You can't leave at the end of your shift until all calls are clear. You are told when to take your 2 -15 min breaks and your 30 min break. often times the bathroom is full or closed for cleaning so you generally get stuck not going. Angry customers on phone complaining about their bill, costs, lack of service with equipment and long call waits.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic when training new hires. All we heard was how wonderful the company is. Nothing was mentioned that it would be very difficult to obtain stats required. Our class of 25 had 8 left after six months and one left after 2 years.

Regulatory Compliance is the main goal at this company location

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRelatively high local job security

ConsLack of local leadership
    Bare bones funding

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, great team environment

ConsEmployees have to pay high insurance premiums

Constant Change

Supervisor (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsThey are very business focused, particularly on the bottom line. Pay is very competitive and in some field locations, particularly in Energy Delivery and Generation, provide some of the best jobs in the area.

ConsOn the corporate support end, decisions are often short-sighted, eliminating experienced personnel vs. newer hires. Some areas of the company have no job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are a valuable resource - do everything to keep them. Keep hiring at a flexible point so that continual expansions and contractions (aka layoffs) do not need to occur.

Inexperienced managers, bad decision-making by Sr. Mgmt, declining benefits, layoffs at least once per year.. (sigh)

Manager (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsPay is generally very good and bonuses (when the company does well). There are a lot of dedicated employees willing to do what it takes to get work done. There is a strong respect for safety inbedded in the culture. Good human resource support to employees, but they are limited in what they can do to make changes.

ConsEmployees are overworked, stressed out with no light at the end of the tunnel. Benefit offerings have eroded to the point that we are below market. It is hard to attract good talent to fill jobs, because prospects have heard about the lack of work/life balance and unreasonable expectations of their employees. Sr. Management lacks the ability to articulate strategy to the employees and chose to hide instead of actively communicating and soliciting feedback. Ethics and morals are non-existent for some of the most senior leaders and the company lawyers finds creative ways to cover up their indiscretions. The severe lack of accountability for leadership is nauseating and creates engagement issues for all employees. There is way too much lip service paid to employees about how management is going to make things better, get additional resources, help to reduce work & hours, but all talk and no action! Management takes a class called "How to blow smoke up your employee's butts" once they accept their job offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads out of the sand...wake up and smell the coffee... all the good people are leaving voluntarily because you fail to implement needed changes to encourage them to stay. We need some fresh faces on the Board too... big company operating like a mom & pop shop... not going to fly in this economy! Follow the rules of engagement YOU CREATED!! Lead by example and reward those employees who are willing to speak the unpopular opinion. It will be worth it!

Worked for FirstEnergy? Contribute to the Community!