FirstGroup America

Be The First To
Add Photos

FirstGroup America CEO and President Operations Mike Murray

Mike Murray

Decent job, but no employment freedoms.

Anonymous (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsDecent pay and good benefits.

ConsA lot of hand holding by upper management. When British executives are in town there is a large fear mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees to do the right thing.

I have grown professionally and learned a ton at this company.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsI enjoy the growth opportunities at this company and the people that I work with are absolutely phenomenal. Decent pay as well. Rewarded for taking on additional duties.

ConsSeems to reorganize and restructure every year. Creates a culture where people are somewhat fearful at the end of each fiscal year.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on training and development for managers especially.

A company where you can be all you can be as long as you're willing to apply yourself!

Transportation Operations Manager (Current Employee)

ProsStrong promote from within culture, decent time-off and benefits for full-time staff, improving in-service training for management, most managers are good at recognizing potential and guiding up-and-comers!!

ConsHard to find right people in such a specialized business, it's like the military but worse. You must be willing to move to get a promotion because people tend to stay in jobs "forever", sometimes it's hard to get certain jobs in other markets due to the need for specialized knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep improving standardization which will make it easier to move otherwise qualified people into slots. Do more market analysis to keep wages competitive, which will help retain quality employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible Place to Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary was ok. Location of office and building itself are nice.

Consconstantly reducing staffing. Lack of communication. Employees are miserable.

Company run by executives who are in over their heads.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe department I worked in was all former Laidlaw employees with the technical expertise and experience to effectively manage our function.

ConsThe FirstGroup America acquisition of Laidlaw made too many assumptions about cost-savings and let go off professionals across the company with the ability to effective run and grow the company in favor of keeping and promoting far less experienced (and far cheaper) managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire, retain and support qualified managers. Stop trying to pay for heavy debt costs by understaffing all headquarters departments.

A great experience and tremendous learning opportunity

Vice President Product Management (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsUp tempo company with international scale
    Great growth and professional development opportunities
    London!

ConsHigh pressure, steep demands - not for everyone

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to your guns!

TERRIBLE!!! Turn and run the other way!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThere are some really great people that work there, however, they don't stick around very long. For the most part I thoroughly enjoyed working with the large percentage of my co-workers and even the interaction with other departments was quite enjoyable.

ConsNo upward mobility. Poor management. Poor policies and structure. Upper management, the over-all structure, lack of upward mobility or even opportunities to move up were all terrible! HR was absolutely FULL of goofballs and morons!

Advice to Senior ManagementPROMOTE FROM WITHIN!!! MANAGEMENT TRAINING PROGRAMS!!!

Great place to work !

Diesel Technician (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGreat support from the ground floor up. The required equipment and training to perform maintenance / repairs are supplied and updated as needed. Technical support is top grade!
    Prior to this position I worked for First Students top competitor and now I know why First Student is and will remain #1 in the student transportation industry. Safety truly is the #1 priority in this company and that is fine with me, as I have seen the results of unsafe work practices in other companies. Opportunity abounds in this company.

ConsI can truly say that I have yet to find any downside of working for First Student.
    They call it "Work" for a reason, now get to work :)

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the local, regional and corporate management are doing a great job!
    Keep up the good work.

Valuable experiences in corporate office prepared me well for future business opportunities.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsDynamic growth, fast-paced, provides good service to customers. Opportunities to improve professionally through exposure to meaningful task and projects. I learned more at FGA than at any job since then.

ConsOutside of the corporate office, management appears impersonal to many of the employees. While I understand the financial pressures to perform, the perception is that profit is ALL that management cares about, which is not true.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to improve relations with drivers at the local level to increase perception that they are cared about at the corporate level. Focus on the important service drivers are providing locally and around the country.

Company portrays itself as great company to work for but in essence it holds employees back from achieving career goals

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsOpportunity to meet good employees before they leave the company.

ConsThere is no career advancement unless you are very senior management or charter employee;
    No direction from management; Supervisors cower to senior management and no appreciation is given to hourly employees; Depending on the department you are employed in, benefits differ.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees should have no fear of retaliation but it often happens at the hands of supervisors. Supervisors and senior management should not be notified of complaints until they have been investigated by outside sources. Current employee hotline is a joke.

Worked for FirstGroup America? Contribute to the Community!