FirstHealth of the Carolinas

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
3.3

David J. Kilarski

Patient care centered with respect of individuals

Former Employee - Patient Care Secretary in Rockingham, NC
    Former Employee - Patient Care Secretary in Rockingham, NC

I worked at FirstHealth of the Carolinas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Positive, caring staff, purpose to care for each person/staff

Cons

Stressful, fastpace, emergent episodes long hours

Stay up to date with trends

Good place to work. Pay needs seriously work.

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Pinehurst, NC
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Pinehurst, NC

I have been working at FirstHealth of the Carolinas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good people in our IS department. On the cutting edge of technology.

Cons

High stress environment. We do the same or higher level of work than hospitals that are larger for much less pay and with less stuff.

Stop the politics. Give us the tools, pay, training and more staff to get the job done to our high standards.

Clinics Need Help and Pay Could Be Better

Former Employee - Nurse
    Former Employee - Nurse

I worked at FirstHealth of the Carolinas full-time

Pros

Nice Facilities and everything is kept in good repair. Furnishings and decor is always nice and never shabby. Customer service standards are generally very high and behavior is professional.

Cons

Upper management is unorganized and a little clueless about what it takes to start up a new practice. They have no idea what supplies are needed, what par levels to stock (even though they own several other practices to model after), how much storage area is needed to adequetely keep supplies in stock and how to set up traffic flow in and out of rooms and checkout. Furthermore the training I received can only be described as sink or swim! I was given a one day class on clinic side of computer program, then 1 day with clinical trainer seeing patients with me. After Info Services trainer left and and a non-licensed staff member was sent to help me from another office, I was taught a completely different way of using chart. In short, more confusing than helpful. Providers not especially helpfully in laying out how they wanted clinic run and middle management spread so thin as to be harassed and constantly running in and out from one meeting to another. Also, pay was $7.40 per hour less than what I was offered( and now make) at UNC.

Organize, pay attention to your nurses and front line employees. Stop forcing clinic managers to live in the car and by "go to meeting" app and allow them to properly train the staff they have hired. If no one ever feels comfortable and welcomed, then how can you hope to retain them? Pay is not that good and insurance leaves something to be desired. Get off the survey result soap box and start back doing orientation with honest to heaven people who have a pulse and a license; not a computer!

Politics rule, patient care suffers

Pros

Salaries, wages, benefits are competitive

Cons

Politics rule instead of rational planning and decision-making.

Hire people for what and not who they know

Firsthealth of the Carolinas Review

Current Employee - Technical Support in Pinehurst, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Pinehurst, NC

I have been working at FirstHealth of the Carolinas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great organization. Great leadership. Great Values

Cons

Career Advancement opportunities are lacking

Fair pay, good benefits, leader lunacy

I worked at FirstHealth of the Carolinas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoys a good reputation; progressive; financially successful; good services, honest and hard working staff, generally healthy atmosphere below the C-suite level.

Cons

CFO is dishonest, upredictable, self-serving; CEO is too hands off; CMO is unqualified. No one gets along well at the top level; competitive, not supportive and don't talk to each other.

Don't work in finance or medical affairs; don't put in long hours because management doesn't care that you do.

Nice place to work and they know it

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Pinehurst, NC

I have been working at FirstHealth of the Carolinas full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Encouragement for higher education, good benefits, New CEO (Dave Kilarski) is excellent and brings positive change

Cons

Not competitive in wages, middle management lacks desire or ability to advocate for staff issues, us vs. them mentality

Buying pizza and ice cream for staff as a band aid to try to make up for lack of attention to other issues doesn't work to improve morale. Instead of just asking for staff input, actually use it to institute change.

Not bad....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pinehurst, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pinehurst, NC

I worked at FirstHealth of the Carolinas

Pros

Excellent benefits! Ok salary for the area. Management tries to make employees feel valued. Great educational opportunities.

Cons

Us vs. Them mentality when it comes to management and the worker bees.

Get rid of the "Leadership" model. It only divides.

Firsthealth of the Carolinas: A good place to practice nursing, but some changes should be made.

I have been working at FirstHealth of the Carolinas

Pros

Safe environment to perform my duties as an RN. Good patient to nurse ratios. I do not feel as if my nursing license is in jeopardy most of the time. I believe that the lower level managers attempt to support the hourly staff in most circumstances.

Cons

Money not as good as other hospitals in our region. Comparisons made for setting salaries by comparing FH only to rural, small hospitals in our region and not to larger hospitals that provide the same levels of care that we do. Also, I believe the nursing upper management is not strong and therefore not highly valued or recognized by top Corporation executives. We need stronger and more forceful nursing VP to represent nursing interest in the company.

Nursing is the core of our company. Although I believe our senior management has there hearts in the right place and wants to do the right thing, I believe nursing considerations are vastly undervalued in there planning and thinking. Nursing turnover cost the company so much in so many ways, yet it is huge every year because the correct resources are not placed in the right places. Seek nursing management that will challange your thinking and not just go along with it.

Overall a very good place to work

I worked at FirstHealth of the Carolinas

Pros

Great community to live in, great people to work with, plenty of training available and tuition assistance, fair performance evaluations

Cons

Small town, have to travel an hour to get benefits of larger city, not-for-profit but run like for-profit, employees seem to wonder about huge expenditures for campus expansion simultaneous with reductions in benefits or tightening up of policies.

Consider employee satisfaction as an asset to be invested in, overall upper management seems in tune and able to keep organization healthy and competitive