FirstHealth of the Carolinas

Updated Jan 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

David J. Kilarski

Patient care centered with respect of individuals

Patient Care Secretary (Former Employee)
Rockingham, NC

I worked at FirstHealth of the Carolinas full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPositive, caring staff, purpose to care for each person/staff

ConsStressful, fastpace, emergent episodes long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementStay up to date with trends

Firsthealth of the Carolinas Review

Technical Support (Current Employee)
Pinehurst, NC

I have been working at FirstHealth of the Carolinas full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat organization. Great leadership. Great Values

ConsCareer Advancement opportunities are lacking

Fair pay, good benefits, leader lunacy

I worked at FirstHealth of the Carolinas full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEnjoys a good reputation; progressive; financially successful; good services, honest and hard working staff, generally healthy atmosphere below the C-suite level.

ConsCFO is dishonest, upredictable, self-serving; CEO is too hands off; CMO is unqualified. No one gets along well at the top level; competitive, not supportive and don't talk to each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't work in finance or medical affairs; don't put in long hours because management doesn't care that you do.

Nice place to work and they know it

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Pinehurst, NC

I have been working at FirstHealth of the Carolinas full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEncouragement for higher education, good benefits, New CEO (Dave Kilarski) is excellent and brings positive change

ConsNot competitive in wages, middle management lacks desire or ability to advocate for staff issues, us vs. them mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementBuying pizza and ice cream for staff as a band aid to try to make up for lack of attention to other issues doesn't work to improve morale. Instead of just asking for staff input, actually use it to institute change.

Not bad....

I worked at FirstHealth of the Carolinas

ProsExcellent benefits! Ok salary for the area. Management tries to make employees feel valued. Great educational opportunities.

ConsUs vs. Them mentality when it comes to management and the worker bees.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the "Leadership" model. It only divides.

Firsthealth of the Carolinas: A good place to practice nursing, but some changes should be made.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at FirstHealth of the Carolinas

ProsSafe environment to perform my duties as an RN. Good patient to nurse ratios. I do not feel as if my nursing license is in jeopardy most of the time. I believe that the lower level managers attempt to support the hourly staff in most circumstances.

ConsMoney not as good as other hospitals in our region. Comparisons made for setting salaries by comparing FH only to rural, small hospitals in our region and not to larger hospitals that provide the same levels of care that we do. Also, I believe the nursing upper management is not strong and therefore not highly valued or recognized by top Corporation executives. We need stronger and more forceful nursing VP to represent nursing interest in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNursing is the core of our company. Although I believe our senior management has there hearts in the right place and wants to do the right thing, I believe nursing considerations are vastly undervalued in there planning and thinking. Nursing turnover cost the company so much in so many ways, yet it is huge every year because the correct resources are not placed in the right places. Seek nursing management that will challange your thinking and not just go along with it.

Overall a very good place to work

I worked at FirstHealth of the Carolinas

ProsGreat community to live in, great people to work with, plenty of training available and tuition assistance, fair performance evaluations

ConsSmall town, have to travel an hour to get benefits of larger city, not-for-profit but run like for-profit, employees seem to wonder about huge expenditures for campus expansion simultaneous with reductions in benefits or tightening up of policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider employee satisfaction as an asset to be invested in, overall upper management seems in tune and able to keep organization healthy and competitive

Worked for FirstHealth of the Carolinas? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FirstHealth of the Carolinas reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FirstHealth of the Carolinas CEO David J. Kilarski. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by FirstHealth of the Carolinas employees.