FirstMerit

Add Photos

FirstMerit Chairman, President, and CEO Paul G. Greig

Paul G. Greig

Good first job experience

Client Champion One (Former Employee)
    Green Bay, WI

ProsThe personalities of the diverse staff is one of the greatest unadvertised pros to working for the company.
    My original managers were very hands on and interested in helping me with my development in the banking industry.

ConsInterest from corporate office in the development of its young, branch staff employees was very minimal
    Bank did a very poor job at recruiting high quality, strong character employees. Often surrounded by team members who were only interested in collecting a paycheck and who struggled to separate work and personal lives

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the corporate headquarters on a regular basis so you can experience and full realize the true pulse and atmosphere of your company.

Up and coming midwest bank

Banker (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsAggressive growth culture. Recent merger a win.

ConsSystems haven't necessarily kept up with the Company's growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace progressive ideas, avoid the mini-Chase approach.

Good Place to Work

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsCompensation
    Location
    People
    Training
    Benefits
    Ability to get the job done

ConsMerger issues
    Growth Issues
    Management Changes, Employee turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce Management Changes

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast-paced and stressful

Teller (Former Employee)
    Akron, OH

ProsNo sales quota, opportunities for career advancement, decent pay, works with students schedules. The ability to pick up more hours and work overtime was a huge plus. I went to many different branches to help out whomever was short staffed.

Consno job security and horrible loss prevention. They do not adequately train anyone with the exception of the personal bankers about First Merit products aside from checking accounts. Until I left to go to another bank did I realize how far behind First Merit is in product knowledge. As a teller at a competing bank, I know everything from our checking/savings accounts, to our lines of credit, investments and business cash flows.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making your employees work off the clock. You cut the ABM's out of a job to save expenses yet bought out other branches for expansion. The job duties of an ABM were so extensive that you should have cut the bankers before the Assistant Brand Managers and trained them to open accounts and close loans.

look elsewhere

Akron, OH

ProsIn the past there were opportunities for advancement, decent health care and a pension plan, average 401k match. With each "growth" the bank has they cut something else from regular employees.

ConsIf you are your supervisors best friend, go out and party with them you can be recognized, get promoted!

Advice to Senior ManagementHave outside reviews of employee performance, you can coach me but it is not fair that I can't get ahead or get a good review because you sweep your best friends mistakes under the carpet and high light others.

Great expectations for employees, but relatively poor support,compensation, and leadership.

Teller (Former Employee)
    Medina, OH

ProsServing customers is generally a joy. There are a lot of people that don't know any better than to use a credit union.

ConsThe teller system is easily the worst in the industry. It is literally the only bank still using MSDos. Expectations are high to sell, sell, sell. If you don't, expect to get squeezed out. There is always someone looking over your shoulder. If you don't get it right - expect to hear about it. Mission Onward was marketed as some sort of pro-worker program, but turned out to be the end for well over 300 jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about a new teller system? It would make for a more humane and productive workplace. It's the right thing to do - even if it doesn't look good for profits-and-losses. People would appreciate if wages weren't the bottom rung of the industry.

sales sales sales customer service non existant

Universal Banker (Former Employee)
    Aurora, IL

ProsClose to my home. Really that is it.

ConsWe are nothing but your G number. You are expected to sell sell sell, but your products are the worst. I have 16 yrs banking experience.this is by far the worst company I ever worked for. Could not give your employees a increase but managment did. My branch manager was clueless, she thought calling people honey would get her by and it worked. Teller system is ancient update!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue! appreciate your staff and your branches are vacant. Staff your branches.

I love my job and my employer, I've never been happier at work

Senior Banking Assistant (Current Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsMy co-workers are spectacular, they have a knack for hiring just the right people for the job.

ConsWe have a tendency to get wrapped up in the process and procedure rather than the customer experience, it can be hard to convince a customer that we are the best bank to work with when we can't get out of our own way sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to take notice of the employees who do a good job, a little recognition can go a long way in employee retention. A happy employee will lead to happy customers.

Sold Credit Card Processing

Commercial Bankcard Consultant (Former Employee)
    Akron, OH

ProsOriginally, this was an excellent company - we had a very local focus, and made sure we always put the customers first. After new management bought several branches in Chicago, a slide began away from that.

ConsOriginally, this was an excellent company - we had a very local focus, and made sure we always put the customers first. After new management bought several branches in Chicago, a slide began away from that - there was much more of a bottom line drive than there had been previously.

A low pressure environment that is heavy in customer service.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsFirst Merit offers a training course and is a nice low pressure environment to work at if that is what you are looking for.

ConsSoftware is a bit obsolete. Very high amount of turnover coupled with poor transparency some members of the management can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile my employment was an overall pleasant experience, I greatly would have appriciated more transparency in regards to my job and what plans were laid for me.

Worked for FirstMerit? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FirstMerit reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FirstMerit CEO Paul G. Greig. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by FirstMerit employees.