FirstMerit Reviews

Boring

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstMerit

Pros

Good pay and benefits package.

Cons

Management is old school Not ptogressive.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

2. Good mgmt

I have been working at FirstMerit

Pros

Strong mgmt and oppt for advancement

Cons

Work life balance and wellness benefits could be better

Not what expected

I worked at FirstMerit

Pros

I like the people I work with. Offers several products that other banks don't. Fun. The corp is in Ohio

Cons

Communication.Leadership.Systems.Only focused on sales not customer service. Has a plan to improve but you can't just talk the talk..you have to walk the walk

Advice to Management

None

5. Good Company with Great Benefits

Former Employee - Trust Operations Specialist II in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Trust Operations Specialist II in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people. Benefits are excellent. From day one you receive 15 days PTO and benefits. No waiting period. Benefits are reasonably priced too. I never had a problem when I needed time off and you could make up time too. The department I was in was very supportive when I had a serious illness and had to be off work for over a month. You would receive a merit raise every year. Was usually 3% or less but it was something.

Cons

Overall, you do not feel appreciated company-wise. When I first started, we received a calendar from the CEO for Christmas. That dwindled down to a card and finally, nada. They also use to have an employee appreciation week with little gifts and a special recognition lunch. They stopped doing that as well.

Advice to Management

At least show your employees you appreciate them by sending them a Christmas card. It's the least you can do.

Most non caring employer have ever worked for, would never suggest anyone I know work here nor bank here

Former Employee - Teller
    Former Employee - Teller

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly customers, and employees...had issues with the manager as she was not knowledgeable and should not be in the position she holds. Would throw an employee under the bus in a heartbeat to benefit herself.

Cons

Being understaffed to the point that other employees are not allowed time for a break, lack of help within other offices. This is a disservice to staff as well as customers. Want employees to offer products services in an aging community. While wanting the new accounts don't care about accounts which are leaving. See many of the smaller branches closing up as most are in close proximity to each other. Care only about the profit, no appreciation for employees.

Advice to Management

Update your antiquated system, don't know anywhere that operates on the DOS system. Train management so that they are knowledgeable and can help their employees. Treat employees like they matter, and they will, quick to find fault, yet not so much on appreciating suggestions or listening to employees feedback.

7. Great Incetive Structure here!

I have been working at FirstMerit

Pros

The incentive structure for bank manager is well worth it.

Cons

This company dosent hold employees accountable expect the bank manager. We are short staffed all the time not just in the branch or region even in some states. They dont vaule home work balance due to staffing. Also when a satff memeber is on vacation it puts a big hurdle in your buisness that means no days off no lunch.

Advice to Management

1 more employee in most of this centers will not hurt the bottom line. And if we are to hold people accountable like tellers and bankers production will increase to offset the pay for the extra body. I know most of the branches are slow and dont know the body but the extra body is for engagment and retention. The extra body can just be by breaking full time into to part times.

Run to a Credit Union Immediately!

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at FirstMerit

Pros

My co-workers were fun and amazing people! It is the only reason I stayed for as long as I did.

Cons

Out of date software, slow internal process, and convoluted fee structure. No opportunities for growth. FirstMerit appears to care less about losing valuable clients. They have no vision for the future.

Advice to Management

Listen to the small guys in regards to process improvements. We are the ones who are actually speaking to the customers and hearing their complaints.

I worked here for 19 years..... Never been treated so badly

Former Employee - Senior Teller in Iron River, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Teller in Iron River, MI

I worked at FirstMerit

Pros

Co-workers were fabulous! Clients were like family.

Cons

Manager who had no knowledge what so ever! Push Push Push to make an almighty dollar for the company, but low pay and very little reward for the employee making the sale, managers made a much better incentive, how is that fair? Poor staffing, way understaffed, forced to work through lunches, no breaks, had to reschedule vacations (per manager forcing). FirstMerit took over our former bank, in the past 19 years we had 5 takeovers, this was the worst one! I have never been happier since I left that place. I would not recommend anyone to work or bank there! Their customer service is pretty nonexistent, they don't care about the client, only the dollars to be made.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little people behind the line, respect them, treat them better, perhaps take a good look at your branches as individuals not as a whole to provide better customer service and improve your employee morale! Have upper management that cares and lsitens!

Only work here if you're desperate for a job.

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A steady paycheck, coworkers are typically very nice people to see on a daily basis.

Cons

Compensation is on the low side, bordering on cheap. Raises, no matter how well you perform are limited to 1 or 2% annually, while the company touts how many straight quarters of profitability it has. The company constantly looks for ways to cut expenses, to the detriment & morale of employees Benefits are okay, but insurance costs are going up faster than the cost of living increases they dole out. Work there more than 5 years and you're probably LOSING money on the deal.

Advice to Management

Compensate the employees better. You've operated under the "you're lucky to still have a job" mindset too long. Once the job market opens up again, your best performers will bolt for greener pastures (or at least a different pasture since they've been alienated). Show your employees you value their contribution to all that profitability because it sure doesn't feel like it now.

11. I enjoyed working here as a teller.

Former Employee - Teller in Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Teller in Canton, OH

I worked at FirstMerit part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, nice co-workers. Loved getting to know people in the community.

Cons

Standing for long times, needing to "sell" clients on investments