FirstMerit

Add Photos

FirstMerit Chairman, President, and CEO Paul G. Greig

Paul G. Greig

Good Company/Good training

ProsThe training program is good leaves you prepared

ConsTakes a long time before you get to go to training.

Strong bank financially but at the expense of being too conservative and short staffing their branches.

Branch Manager (Current Employee) Flint, MI

ProsStrong bank financially. Competitive products and services. Good marketing resources. Competitive compensation. Great employees in the branches.

ConsFirstMerit understaffs their branches severely. There's a lot of pressure to meet sales goals and there isn't enough branch staff to service clients and do anything proactive to meet sales goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou go work in a small branch for one week and actually wait on clients and try to hot the sales goals you set for the branch with the staff FTE you allocated.

A hostile work environment with little chance of advancement.

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

ProsMany different locations to work.

ConsManagement doesn't care about, or value employees at all. Everyone is viewed as entirely replaceable., and senior management reminds us of that at every meeting. Goals are set to be unattainable unless you manipulate sales numbers. Those that do are rewarded, those that don't are pushed out. Customer service is terrible, communication is deplorable, the systems are a complete and utter joke, and no one has any accountability for anything except the branch staff...the lowest paid people in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace all of middle management from regional directors to district managers...the culture that they've created and adapted to is toxic...they all need to go.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

DO NOT APPLY AT THIS BANK

Client Champion (Current Employee)

ProsAbsolutely NONE. I truly cannot believe how ignorant upper management is. If you are thinking of applying for a teller job just save yourself the hassle.

ConsJust about every single aspect of the company. The teller system is ancient! We use DOS... yes as In DOS from the 80's. All management cares about is sales YET they don't want to staff their branches accordingly. As a teller you better have your referrals or you will be getting written up.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue and at least pretend to care about the employees that YOU hire. If you want sales start making products that are sell able. Tellers cannot sell products when they are working for a company that treats them like pieces of crap.

Unimpressive management

Portfolio Manager (Current Employee)

ProsA pay check and a stable exmployer

ConsManagement is terrible. Communication is almost non-existent

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the bank

Work Experience at First Merit

CC3 (Former Employee) Flint, MI

ProsCo-workers are good people and make the day enjoyable

ConsTerrible systems
    Doesn't care about their employees

Very hostile work environment

Senior Client Champion (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOther than the monday thru friday work hours no pros. Thankful they offered me a job when I needed it.

ConsThe Chicago management team is by far the most incompetent work of people I have worked for. I have been in banking for over 10 years and I have never seen such level of incompetency.
    Very hostile work environment.
    Only people who seem to get ahead are those who become best friends with the higher management team.
    Very discouraging working conditions.
    Very incompetent branch management.
    Very incompetent business partners.
    Really high turn over due to the lack of knowledge and lack of business sense.
    Seems like most of the managers are here for good and for the most parts are managers who are given a secon chance in management and cannot get a job else where making a very hostile environment to work in when you are trying to get ahead in your role.
    HR in Chicago is the worst. Even when you report anomalies and incidents at the office, they will not do anything about it.
    They don't have and easy to follow incentive program.
    They have very very old systems and it is very easy to loose track of things.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould consider to review the Chicago management team. If the branches are ranking low and loosing money is beacuse on an obvious reason.

Top-heavy community bank, losing its community appeal

Management - Commercial (Former Employee) Akron, OH

Pros-Start with 14 Paid Days off (this will be used for sick days, vacation days and personal days).
    -Original FMER management are relaxed and down-to-earth. Laid-back atmosphere for a corporation.
    -Many experienced and wonderful people.

Cons-Corporate work environment is in need of a MAJOR overhaul. Absolutely shameful operations center that would make a prison seem more appealing.
    -Top Heavy with tenured management that hinders upward mobility and seems to foster a fear of hiring new and actual talent.
    -Plays like a big bank, but does not pay like a big bank
    -Far too much bureaucracy for a smallish company.

*No Clear Career Path. Easy to get 'pigeon-holed.'

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow workers to telecommute on projects.
    Remember that FMER is a community bank and in order to be real with your regular-joe customers, you need to be less stiff in the backoffice (why is the call center required to be business casual?)

Stressful toxic work environment

Account Specialist (Collections) (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsQuarterly Bonus and paid time off. Medical benefits are also decent.

ConsForced to work on some paid holidays if department numbers were down. No room for growth. Management is not open to helping you further your career. No developmental programs or on going education and if you inquire about any management would get upset. Never go to the human resource department with any concerns or complaints because nothing is confidential.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to mico manage every task of employees.

They talk the talk but fall short during the walk.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsThey use to have great benefits.

ConsFemale managers and supervisors are extremely catty.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people as you would wish to be treated.

Worked for FirstMerit? Contribute to the Community!