FirstMerit

Add Photos

FirstMerit Chairman, President, and CEO Paul G. Greig

Paul G. Greig

Very hostile work environment

Senior Client Champion (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at FirstMerit full-time for more than a year

ProsOther than the monday thru friday work hours no pros. Thankful they offered me a job when I needed it.

ConsThe Chicago management team is by far the most incompetent work of people I have worked for. I have been in banking for over 10 years and I have never seen such level of incompetency.
Very hostile work environment.
Only people who seem to get ahead are those who become best friends with the higher management team.
Very discouraging working conditions.
Very incompetent branch management.
Very incompetent business partners.
Really high turn over due to the lack of knowledge and lack of business sense.
Seems like most of the managers are here for good and for the most parts are managers who are given a secon chance in management and cannot get a job else where making a very hostile environment to work in when you are trying to get ahead in your role.
HR in Chicago is the worst. Even when you report anomalies and incidents at the office, they will not do anything about it.
They don't have and easy to follow incentive program.
They have very very old systems and it is very easy to loose track of things.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould consider to review the Chicago management team. If the branches are ranking low and loosing money is beacuse on an obvious reason.

Horrible

I have been working at FirstMerit part-time

ProsCan not think of any

ConsVery outdated slow computer system

The grass may look greener, until you get close enough to see...

Customer Service (Current Employee)

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time

Prosfull time, pleasant co-workers, weekly to bi-weekly updates on personal stats

Consnon-flexible schedule, stronger focus on stats than customer service

Advice to Senior Management-I wish upper management would realize that we are still a local (midsized) bank that does not provide big bank amenities, so we need to rely on providing great customer service. There is a strong focus on meeting strict stat requirements and what I feel is rushing a customer off of the phone than truly providing the great customer service that the customer needs. Many times, this results in customer call backs that ultimately hurt the call center's overall numbers.
-I wish management would have some form of interest in keeping employees satisfied. Many problems come within scheduling. There is little to no interest in accommodating individuals with priorities outside of FirstMerit. Do not view this as a rant, but useful knowledge for individuals looking to apply for an inbound customer service rep at FirstMerit. If you wish to go to college, or have medical needs, or family needs, you will be told that FirstMerit is to come first and that you are to schedule you're other needs around FirstMerit.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Qualifications won't do anything for you if Management doesn't love you

Teller Supervisor/CRSIII (Former Employee)

I worked at FirstMerit full-time for less than a year

ProsGood work schedule
Flexible PTO
HR holds people responsible even if upper Management doesn't

Cons-Pay is far below industry standard
-No matter how well you perform at your job, you'll be pushed out if your District Manager doesn't like you
-Incredibly difficult to learn across departments; no mentoring
-Uniforms make you look like a Catholic schoolboy
-Ultra-conservative policies and outdated systems make servicing customers efficiently challenging
-Employees are expected to go above and beyond every single day, but the company holds no loyalty to its own employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like qualified professionals, not poorly-paid mercenaries to use and abuse.

sales sales sales customer service non existant

Universal Banker (Former Employee)
Aurora, IL

I worked at FirstMerit full-time for more than 8 years

ProsClose to my home. Really that is it.

ConsWe are nothing but your G number. You are expected to sell sell sell, but your products are the worst. I have 16 yrs banking experience.this is by far the worst company I ever worked for. Could not give your employees a increase but managment did. My branch manager was clueless, she thought calling people honey would get her by and it worked. Teller system is ancient update!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue! appreciate your staff and your branches are vacant. Staff your branches.

Top-heavy community bank, losing its community appeal

Management - Commercial (Former Employee)

I worked at FirstMerit full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Start with 14 Paid Days off (this will be used for sick days, vacation days and personal days).
-Original FMER management are relaxed and down-to-earth. Laid-back atmosphere for a corporation.
-Many experienced and wonderful people.

Cons-Corporate work environment is in need of a MAJOR overhaul. Absolutely shameful operations center that would make a prison seem more appealing.
-Top Heavy with tenured management that hinders upward mobility and seems to foster a fear of hiring new and actual talent.
-Plays like a big bank, but does not pay like a big bank
-Far too much bureaucracy for a smallish company.

*No Clear Career Path. Easy to get 'pigeon-holed.'

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow workers to telecommute on projects.
Remember that FMER is a community bank and in order to be real with your regular-joe customers, you need to be less stiff in the backoffice (why is the call center required to be business casual?)

Stressful toxic work environment

Account Specialist (Collections) (Former Employee)

I worked at FirstMerit full-time for more than a year

ProsQuarterly Bonus and paid time off. Medical benefits are also decent.

ConsForced to work on some paid holidays if department numbers were down. No room for growth. Management is not open to helping you further your career. No developmental programs or on going education and if you inquire about any management would get upset. Never go to the human resource department with any concerns or complaints because nothing is confidential.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to mico manage every task of employees.

They talk the talk but fall short during the walk.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at FirstMerit full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey use to have great benefits.

ConsFemale managers and supervisors are extremely catty.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people as you would wish to be treated.

look elsewhere

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIn the past there were opportunities for advancement, decent health care and a pension plan, average 401k match. With each "growth" the bank has they cut something else from regular employees.

ConsIf you are your supervisors best friend, go out and party with them you can be recognized, get promoted!

Advice to Senior ManagementHave outside reviews of employee performance, you can coach me but it is not fair that I can't get ahead or get a good review because you sweep your best friends mistakes under the carpet and high light others.

Great expectations for employees, but relatively poor support,compensation, and leadership.

Teller (Former Employee)
Medina, OH

I worked at FirstMerit full-time for more than 3 years

ProsServing customers is generally a joy. There are a lot of people that don't know any better than to use a credit union.

ConsThe teller system is easily the worst in the industry. It is literally the only bank still using MSDos. Expectations are high to sell, sell, sell. If you don't, expect to get squeezed out. There is always someone looking over your shoulder. If you don't get it right - expect to hear about it. Mission Onward was marketed as some sort of pro-worker program, but turned out to be the end for well over 300 jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about a new teller system? It would make for a more humane and productive workplace. It's the right thing to do - even if it doesn't look good for profits-and-losses. People would appreciate if wages weren't the bottom rung of the industry.

Worked for FirstMerit? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FirstMerit reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for FirstMerit CEO Paul G. Greig. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by FirstMerit employees.