FirstMerit Reviews

Reset
1.9
FirstMerit Chairman, President, and CEO Paul G. Greig
Paul G. Greig

Pros
  • Branches are staffed by friendly people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Teller system was old ten years ago (in 4 reviews)

• There's a lot of pressure to meet sales goals and there isn't enough branch staff to service clients and do anything proactive to meet sales goals (in 3 reviews)

loan specialist

Former Employee - Loan Specialist in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Loan Specialist in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstMerit full-time

Pros

I wasted 10 years of my life there and can't think of 1 pro

Cons

I worked in several positions in this company over 10 years and in each area all this company ever cares about it the customers with the highest volume of money. They do not care at all about the smaller compamies or individuals that do not have millions of dollars with them. Managers are rude and will blow off customers a lot of the time. The managers will also try to turn employees against each other if there is a person that they do not like. I would not recommend this bank to any customer nor to anyone interested in working there. They treat their employees very poorly. Managers get to pick their favorite employees to give half decent raises too and everyone else gets pennies for raises. It is all a game on how much you suck up, not about the work you do and this has been an experience by many other employees I have talked to as well in several different departments and branches. Save yourself the stress and headache, whether you are a customer or potential employee and go to a bank that actually cares about all their customers because let's face it, most of us aren't millionaires but that doesn't mean we should be treated so poorly.

Advice to Management

Stop buying banks in other states. Customers are getting mad and you will never be able to compete with the bigger banks such as chase and pnc

Branch Manager

I have been working at FirstMerit

Pros

I love the branch team and the customers. Not much else good about this place.

Cons

They love to brag about their profitability, what they fail to mention is its on the backs of the customers and employees. Upper management has no clue what goes on in the branches and it shows. Nothing else matters other than the almighty dollar. Common to only have 1-2 people in the branch at a time, long lines, tons of errors and overall terrible service! They could care less about their employees or their customers. I wouldn't send my worst enemy to bank here, let alone work here!!

Advice to Management

I would give advice but they wouldn't listen anyway. All of your good people are leaving, open your eyes!

Run to a Credit Union Immediately!

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at FirstMerit

Pros

My co-workers were fun and amazing people! It is the only reason I stayed for as long as I did.

Cons

Out of date software, slow internal process, and convoluted fee structure. No opportunities for growth. FirstMerit appears to care less about losing valuable clients. They have no vision for the future.

Advice to Management

Listen to the small guys in regards to process improvements. We are the ones who are actually speaking to the customers and hearing their complaints.

I worked here for 19 years..... Never been treated so badly

Former Employee - Senior Teller in Iron River, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Teller in Iron River, MI

I worked at FirstMerit

Pros

Co-workers were fabulous! Clients were like family.

Cons

Manager who had no knowledge what so ever! Push Push Push to make an almighty dollar for the company, but low pay and very little reward for the employee making the sale, managers made a much better incentive, how is that fair? Poor staffing, way understaffed, forced to work through lunches, no breaks, had to reschedule vacations (per manager forcing). FirstMerit took over our former bank, in the past 19 years we had 5 takeovers, this was the worst one! I have never been happier since I left that place. I would not recommend anyone to work or bank there! Their customer service is pretty nonexistent, they don't care about the client, only the dollars to be made.

Advice to Management

Listen to the little people behind the line, respect them, treat them better, perhaps take a good look at your branches as individuals not as a whole to provide better customer service and improve your employee morale! Have upper management that cares and lsitens!

Incompetent upper management

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly good caring mid level people.

Cons

Awful high level execs who have their respective heads up their arse.

Advice to Management

Have a direction for your company.

It's a place to work, but not one you WANT to work at

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Little expectation to work more than 40 hours per week. A steady paycheck. Coworkers are typically wonderful people.

Cons

Upper management continues to cut expenses to the detriment of employees instead of figuring out ways to increase revenue. Raises are basically COLA (ex. food & energy of course) with no recognition for employees who go above & beyond. There is no motivation to go above & beyond. This is the only company where a manager apologized for the tiny raise (1%) the company "generously" authorized. The only company that also says you're getting a small raise, but it won't kick in until 3 or 4 months down the road.

Advice to Management

Keep your rank & file employees happy even if that means reporting less profit for the umpteenth quarter in a row. Little things like daily cleaning, company provided coffee, raises that actually keep up with increased living expenses.

Management Top Heavy and Uncaring

Current Employee - Commercial Lender in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Commercial Lender in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People who work there are top notch. Wide Product Range and Good Marketing

Cons

Top Management is out for itself. It has no concern for employees or customers. All they care about is profits. Heavy on Top Managers who create their own silos. Line People have no authority or decision making capabilities. They want you to be a robot.

Advice to Management

Understand you are still a small local bank and not the large bank they think they are. Eliminate some layers of unneeded management and decision making.

Don't Work Here; Don't Bank Here

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They've usually got openings if you're looking for work. Locations across five states. Branches are staffed by friendly people. Benefits are OK.

Cons

Just about everything. Company is focused on one thing - profits. Absolutely everything else comes in a distant second (customers, employees, service). Upper management makes a lot of promises and delivers on almost none of them. Focuses on new accounts and never seems to worry about all the accounts going out the backdoor. Teller system was old ten years ago. Supposed to have a new system coming in, but date keeps getting pushed further back. Employees are replaceable and they let you know that. Watch for branch staffing cutbacks coming in the not too distant future.

Advice to Management

Corporate culture is toxic. Corporate departments don't understand the concept of good customer service, let alone exceptional customer service. Until a change comes from the top down, I see no chance that this company will change. CEO and those that are his direct reports need to go.

10. DO NOT APPLY

Current Employee - Cc1
    Current Employee - Cc1

I have been working at FirstMerit part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Customers are delightful..... The only positive is my co-workers. However, there are a couple of them that would throw you under the bus to benefit their own agenda

Cons

Upper management, bullies to their employees, they always make you feel like crap, and you get written up for everything. They are just awful. They force managers to write bad performance reviews if they don't like you, and move people around to other branches without even asking them, they just tell you, you have to go or else you don't have a job. Rude people...

Advice to Management

Be more supportive and reward your employees, with out them you would not have a bank!!!

NOT A GREAT PLACE TO WORK AT

Current Employee - Client Champion in Grand Blanc, MI
    Current Employee - Client Champion in Grand Blanc, MI

I have been working at FirstMerit part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great co-workers, the clients are great. I do think there are a few fellow co-workers that would definitely throw you under the bus if it would benefit them.

Cons

Terrible work environment, awful management, non supportive work environment. Still using DOS.

Advice to Management

Try and make your employees feel like they are appreciated. It seems that you always remind us of what we are doing wrong instead of complimenting us on what we are doing right. I think upper management talks out of both sides of their mouths. They seem to make you think they like you just to gain your trust, then treat you horribly afterward. This company is terrible.
    CITIZENS BANK WAS A MUCH BETTER PLACE TO WORK FOR, AND I THINK MANAGEMENT TRULY CARED ABOUT YOU. FIRST MERIT NOT SO MUCH....

RSS Feed </> Embed