FirstMerit Reviews

Reset
1.8
FirstMerit Chairman, President, and CEO Paul G. Greig
Paul G. Greig

Pros
  • Branches are staffed by friendly people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Teller system was old ten years ago (in 4 reviews)

• There's a lot of pressure to meet sales goals and there isn't enough branch staff to service clients and do anything proactive to meet sales goals (in 3 reviews)

Stay away

I worked at FirstMerit

Pros

Co workers are supportive and try to help

Cons

Poor staffing, poor products, churn and burn attitude toward customers. Get the sale then dump and run.

Advice to Management

Learn to do your teams job. If you can't do it, you can help improve the environment.

Run Away!!!!!

I worked at FirstMerit

Pros

I can honestly say there are not many pros the pay is more than fair and the benefits are great probably the best out of area banks but not enough to keep me around.

Cons

absolutely the worst employer ever! Right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Terrible training worst experience of my life...

Advice to Management

wake up stop fooling yourself you make your employees miserable taking away all their ability to get anything done in just one day from the customer service standpoint. Frankly they couldn't care less about their customers it is all about the $$$$

Dont work for this failing company!

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the people I worked with in the management level were great people. Problem is, this company is so behind the times with technologhy they can't compete with other banks.

Cons

Just an awful business model. Mark my words- Some time in the near future it will be known that officers of this bank have falsified quarterly earnings data. They claim to make these massive profits but all the profitable customers have been leaving in droves for years now. I've seen with my own eyes how this bank works from top to bottom and I can assure you that shady business is common place.

Advice to Management

Move on from the current MI president. He has proved to lack integrity and trust. Also, don't celebrate finally getting running balances for your online customers in 2015 when every other bank has been doing this since the '90s.

Senior Customer Champion

I have been working at FirstMerit (More than a year)

Pros

great customers and great co-workers

Cons

limited staffing, you will work from 8-6 so you can count on your day being gone from at least 7-7pm there is no work life balance here--if you are single and have no kids this would be a great job for you

6. Senior Client Champion

Current Employee - Senior Client Champion in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Client Champion in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time

Pros

The job itself is okay, if you are a people person. However, you will spend a lot of your time working on the teller line whether you are a senior customer champion, branch manager etc...

Cons

You are expected to produce at an almost impossible rate, and bonus are very small. I don't believe it is as bad as Wells Fargo, but it is no picnic. Turn over at the branches is very high.

Advice to Management

Your universal staffing model is okay if you don't value experience. I feel very much like a number and not a human being.

7. Banker

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at FirstMerit

Pros

Growing company up and coming

Cons

Commission is low not worth

Advice to Management

Strong leadership is key

8. Teller

I worked at FirstMerit

Pros

Decent pay and lots of down time could earn commission from opening accounts but rarely ever hit commission

Cons

Management was lacking. Had worked there and had managers in and out of the door from different branches.

Advice to Management

Overall could have been a good job with stable management with strong leadership however I found this to be lacking while I was there

loan specialist

Former Employee - Loan Specialist in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Loan Specialist in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstMerit full-time

Pros

I wasted 10 years of my life there and can't think of 1 pro

Cons

I worked in several positions in this company over 10 years and in each area all this company ever cares about it the customers with the highest volume of money. They do not care at all about the smaller compamies or individuals that do not have millions of dollars with them. Managers are rude and will blow off customers a lot of the time. The managers will also try to turn employees against each other if there is a person that they do not like. I would not recommend this bank to any customer nor to anyone interested in working there. They treat their employees very poorly. Managers get to pick their favorite employees to give half decent raises too and everyone else gets pennies for raises. It is all a game on how much you suck up, not about the work you do and this has been an experience by many other employees I have talked to as well in several different departments and branches. Save yourself the stress and headache, whether you are a customer or potential employee and go to a bank that actually cares about all their customers because let's face it, most of us aren't millionaires but that doesn't mean we should be treated so poorly.

Advice to Management

Stop buying banks in other states. Customers are getting mad and you will never be able to compete with the bigger banks such as chase and pnc

Branch Manager

I have been working at FirstMerit

Pros

I love the branch team and the customers. Not much else good about this place.

Cons

They love to brag about their profitability, what they fail to mention is its on the backs of the customers and employees. Upper management has no clue what goes on in the branches and it shows. Nothing else matters other than the almighty dollar. Common to only have 1-2 people in the branch at a time, long lines, tons of errors and overall terrible service! They could care less about their employees or their customers. I wouldn't send my worst enemy to bank here, let alone work here!!

Advice to Management

I would give advice but they wouldn't listen anyway. All of your good people are leaving, open your eyes!

Boring

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstMerit

Pros

Good pay and benefits package.

Cons

Management is old school Not ptogressive.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

RSS Feed </> Embed