FirstMerit

FirstMerit Chairman, President, and CEO Paul G. Greig
Paul G. Greig

ok

I worked at FirstMerit full-time

Pros

great co-workers, people are very friendly

Cons

no organization, no accountability, need to update systems

Don't Work Here; Don't Bank Here

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They've usually got openings if you're looking for work. Locations across five states. Branches are staffed by friendly people. Benefits are OK.

Cons

Just about everything. Company is focused on one thing - profits. Absolutely everything else comes in a distant second (customers, employees, service). Upper management makes a lot of promises and delivers on almost none of them. Focuses on new accounts and never seems to worry about all the accounts going out the backdoor. Teller system was old ten years ago. Supposed to have a new system coming in, but date keeps getting pushed further back. Employees are replaceable and they let you know that. Watch for branch staffing cutbacks coming in the not too distant future.

Corporate culture is toxic. Corporate departments don't understand the concept of good customer service, let alone exceptional customer service. Until a change comes from the top down, I see no chance that this company will change. CEO and those that are his direct reports need to go.

DO NOT APPLY

Current Employee - Cc1
    Current Employee - Cc1

I have been working at FirstMerit part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Customers are delightful..... The only positive is my co-workers. However, there are a couple of them that would throw you under the bus to benefit their own agenda

Cons

Upper management, bullies to their employees, they always make you feel like crap, and you get written up for everything. They are just awful. They force managers to write bad performance reviews if they don't like you, and move people around to other branches without even asking them, they just tell you, you have to go or else you don't have a job. Rude people...

Be more supportive and reward your employees, with out them you would not have a bank!!!

A hostile work environment with little chance of advancement.

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many different locations to work.

Cons

Management doesn't care about, or value employees at all. Everyone is viewed as entirely replaceable., and senior management reminds us of that at every meeting. Goals are set to be unattainable unless you manipulate sales numbers. Those that do are rewarded, those that don't are pushed out. Customer service is terrible, communication is deplorable, the systems are a complete and utter joke, and no one has any accountability for anything except the branch staff...the lowest paid people in the company.

Replace all of middle management from regional directors to district managers...the culture that they've created and adapted to is toxic...they all need to go.

NOT A GREAT PLACE TO WORK AT

Current Employee - Client Champion in Grand Blanc, MI
    Current Employee - Client Champion in Grand Blanc, MI

I have been working at FirstMerit part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great co-workers, the clients are great. I do think there are a few fellow co-workers that would definitely throw you under the bus if it would benefit them.

Cons

Terrible work environment, awful management, non supportive work environment. Still using DOS.

Try and make your employees feel like they are appreciated. It seems that you always remind us of what we are doing wrong instead of complimenting us on what we are doing right. I think upper management talks out of both sides of their mouths. They seem to make you think they like you just to gain your trust, then treat you horribly afterward. This company is terrible.
    CITIZENS BANK WAS A MUCH BETTER PLACE TO WORK FOR, AND I THINK MANAGEMENT TRULY CARED ABOUT YOU. FIRST MERIT NOT SO MUCH....

DO NOT APPLY AT THIS BANK

Current Employee - Client Champion
    Current Employee - Client Champion

I have been working at FirstMerit part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Absolutely NONE. I truly cannot believe how ignorant upper management is. If you are thinking of applying for a teller job just save yourself the hassle.

Cons

Just about every single aspect of the company. The teller system is ancient! We use DOS... yes as In DOS from the 80's. All management cares about is sales YET they don't want to staff their branches accordingly. As a teller you better have your referrals or you will be getting written up.

Get a clue and at least pretend to care about the employees that YOU hire. If you want sales start making products that are sell able. Tellers cannot sell products when they are working for a company that treats them like pieces of crap.

Unimpressive management

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A pay check and a stable exmployer

Cons

Management is terrible. Communication is almost non-existent

Sell the bank

Work Experience at First Merit

Former Employee - CC3 in Flint, MI
    Former Employee - CC3 in Flint, MI

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are good people and make the day enjoyable

Cons

Terrible systems
    Doesn't care about their employees

Very hostile work environment

Former Employee - Senior Client Champion in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Client Champion in Chicago, IL

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Other than the monday thru friday work hours no pros. Thankful they offered me a job when I needed it.

Cons

The Chicago management team is by far the most incompetent work of people I have worked for. I have been in banking for over 10 years and I have never seen such level of incompetency.
    Very hostile work environment.
    Only people who seem to get ahead are those who become best friends with the higher management team.
    Very discouraging working conditions.
    Very incompetent branch management.
    Very incompetent business partners.
    Really high turn over due to the lack of knowledge and lack of business sense.
    Seems like most of the managers are here for good and for the most parts are managers who are given a secon chance in management and cannot get a job else where making a very hostile environment to work in when you are trying to get ahead in your role.
    HR in Chicago is the worst. Even when you report anomalies and incidents at the office, they will not do anything about it.
    They don't have and easy to follow incentive program.
    They have very very old systems and it is very easy to loose track of things.

Should consider to review the Chicago management team. If the branches are ranking low and loosing money is beacuse on an obvious reason.

Top-heavy community bank, losing its community appeal

Former Employee - Management - Commercial in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Management - Commercial in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Start with 14 Paid Days off (this will be used for sick days, vacation days and personal days).
    -Original FMER management are relaxed and down-to-earth. Laid-back atmosphere for a corporation.
    -Many experienced and wonderful people.

Cons

-Corporate work environment is in need of a MAJOR overhaul. Absolutely shameful operations center that would make a prison seem more appealing.
    -Top Heavy with tenured management that hinders upward mobility and seems to foster a fear of hiring new and actual talent.
    -Plays like a big bank, but does not pay like a big bank
    -Far too much bureaucracy for a smallish company.

*No Clear Career Path. Easy to get 'pigeon-holed.'

Allow workers to telecommute on projects.
    Remember that FMER is a community bank and in order to be real with your regular-joe customers, you need to be less stiff in the backoffice (why is the call center required to be business casual?)