Firstbank (Michigan)

Updated Apr 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tom Sullivan

Great colleagues, and great work environment

New Accounts Representative (Former Employee) Boulder, CO

ProsPrivate institution, very good ESOP, consistent raises

ConsStill banking in the 80's

Great place to work, but frustrating if you want a promotion.

Teller (Current Employee) Denver, CO

Pros-Great place to start your professional career
    -Lots to learn, not boring
    -Great benefits
    -Same level employees very friendly and always willing to offer any support

Cons-As a teller, you are made to feel at the bottom of the totem pole by mainly officers, and sometimes supervisors. As a teller, you do not get a lot of respect.
    -Huge gap between between officers and lower employees

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if there were more team building efforts between upper level management and lower level employees.

Boring Firstbank

Bank Teller (Current Employee) Cadillac, MI

ProsA lot of down time, friendly customers, fun co-workers

ConsDon't expect to get more than 12 cents an hour raise once a year. They only give out raises at the beginning of each year. No room for advancements. Limited hours. My hours were cut from 32 down to 12 a week. Part time employers don't get any benefits.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Widespread Employee Disatisfaction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Alma, MI

ProsFirstbank tries to maintain a professional environment and good public image. They are an excellent regional bank because they get to know their customers personally.

ConsEmployees at Firstbank are not compensated well enough for how hard they work or given bonuses or benefits to maintain morale. Employees in many departments have too much work for an 8 hour work day, but are denied overtime pay and hours. There is little room to move up into higher positions for those who earn them. To add to employees discouragement, higher up managers have received bonuses and large raises while lower-level staff receive not even a raise for cost-of-living. This created a difficult internal company culture. Many of the employees at Firstbank have dedicated decades of their lives to the company and they should be thanked with more than a card or cake.

Great people and company

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Lakewood, CO

ProsBenefits coworkers hours, all great. Most of the customers are very nice. Free coffee daily. Frequent catered events. Free bank accounts and easier credit card applications. Lenient sales goals, easy to meet. Beer/wine for those of age on Friday evenings-- good culture, your co workers become your family. Very stable company.

ConsPay, seems difficult to really move up within the company. The customers can sometimes have an "I'm better than you" attitude. Customers constantly blame you for their financial problems--look, I'm not the one who overdrew YOUR account!

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp show employees opportunities to move up!

Supportive

Bank Officer (Current Employee) Littleton, CO

ProsVery supportive compnay that puts a lot of trust in its management.

ConsYou are promoted with your peer group regardless of your performance.

Great Company to Work for with room to move up

ProsThey care about their employees and everybody is very friendly

ConsPay is just average for what we are asked, however long term employees are well taken care of.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they do a great job.

Nice place to work

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

Prosgood work environment, good benefits - health, vision, and dental, fair number of PTO days, upper management is very approachable,

Conswages for CSRs are low (I cannot live on what I make), ongoing training/networking could happen more often (although they have implemented a 1-day training each year)

Met a lot of good people

Management Trainee (Former Employee)

ProsVery friendly employees/staff, excellent customer service

ConsDidn't get along with manager

Worked for Firstbank (Michigan)? Contribute to the Community!