Firstborn

Firstborn President Dan LaCivita

Dan LaCivita

No bull

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat place to work if you want to do some serious work.

It has a no-bull approach to doing the work that needs to be done.

People with egos or negative attitudes are quickly taken care of. That nonsense doesn't fly at Firstborn; the company is a single team.

Flat hierarchy and attitude; no one really cares about one's title (they're mostly for clients). I barely know the titles of the people around me.

Still keeping corporative baloney to a minimum.

Feels like family, if you approach it with the same attitude.

ConsNot much guidance for newcomers, especially people that needs to be managed or to adapt to the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. Seriously.

Smart people, lots of heart for the work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsTons of talent everywhere, especially in the creative, studio, and dev teams—which means lots of great ideas and execution. Really tight culture and lots of ritualistic events throughout the year that bring people together.

ConsNot as well known as some of the bigger shops, which can be both good and bad

Nice place to work, feels like a start-up but now starting to grow on a rapid scale.

ProsGet to work with some truly wonderful people.

ConsThe agency is growing bigger in a very rapid way, and the culture is starting to suffer.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not bad for a first job.

Developer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsReasonably fun work environment, with some great people. Some challenging work, but also some boring 'bread-and-butter' work to keep the money coming in.
    The best piece of advice I can give, if you like sports (basketball, hockey etc) and you used to be a jock at high school, you will do very well at this company.
    Their interns they have are amazing, usually they have 2-3 years experience (why are they interns?) and come from outside of the US.

ConsThe company is growing fast, and management don't know how to handle it staff-wise. First day of your job you are not introduced to anyone, which makes it very intimidating. After a while you work out who are the people of influence in the company (usually the directives and people close to the boss). They will keep getting promoted year-after-year (hence why the high ranked employee stay). But the bulk of the staff are not in this elite group, and it makes it feel like promotions and pay reviews are not based on performance but rather 'who you know'.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive junior employees a chance and let them grow, offer them feedback and reward a job well done.
    And fix the work hours, working till 10pm most nights and doing all-nighters is not a sign of hard working employees. Its a sign that something further up the chain is broken.

great talent and brains under one roof

Artist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsReally great and smart people. CEO is a very caring man. If you are truly passionate about this line of work, this is the place to be.

ConsThe life/work balance is lacking. When deadlines are approaching it was hard to leave the office.

Life changing. Bustling with innovation and vigilant on execution.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with talented people who are motivated to deliver quality work.

ConsNot being appreciated enough for the hard work and dedication.

Good company to gain experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proshard-working/talented colleagues to share knowledge with, could learn tons of stuff, fun

Consh a r d w o r k i n g

Smart people, smart company, hard work, not a lot of play

Creative (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFirstborn attracts a great deal of international people with amazing skillsets. Devs there are topnotch.

ConsThey're trying to be more than a production shop, but aren't quite there yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking of your employees as non-people.

Very cool people, but for an intern the projects were not always exciting.

Flash Developer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe dev team is awesome - very friendly and also good at what they do. The company is heavy on R&D, encourages experimenting with new interactive technologies that can be used in campaigns.

ConsAs with all agencies, sometimes you have to make things that you don't necessarily like. Particularly for an intern or a junior developer, some of the projects are kind of boring.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is quite friendly through out the whole intern experience. I feel that I haven't worked long enough to make comments on this.

Recommended!

Producer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people and really great culture. It was an enjoyable place to work and grow.

ConsSalaries could be more competitive as well as more competitive work/life balance but overall a good place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome past managers were not so people friendly. To work in advertising it would help to have that trait.

Worked for Firstborn? Contribute to the Community!