Firstrust Bank

Updated Feb 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Richard J. Green

Great company for work-life balance, but not the best career opportunity

IT DB Programmer (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Firstrust Bank full-time for less than a year

ProsRelaxed, flexible schedule and work hours, great benefits and work-life balance. Very friendly employees, most have worked here years and are devoted to the company.

ConsOlder technology stack, not much development to be done. Also not sure there was enough it work to justify the position

Advice to Senior ManagementMove toward upgrading older systems. Perhaps a satellite office in CC would boost IT dept talent.

Part-time Teller

Teller (Former Employee)

I worked at Firstrust Bank part-time for more than a year

ProsOverall nice customers. Working part time creates nice work/life balance (besides not making much money). Customers were really nice.

ConsLow pay. No growth. Seems all bonuses and raises go to back office employees. Branch management was not helpful in my opinion. A lot of favoritism. Seemed like certain people were forced to pick up the allowed slack of others.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect branch employees. Create competitive products and promotions.

Don't expect anything in return.

I have been working at Firstrust Bank full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAlmost everyone who works for the company is beyond nice! You won't mind going to work everyday. The work they do for charity is admirable.

ConsBranch employees went five years with no raise and sporadic bonuses. NO OVERTIME!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive bonuses to branch employees. Even if the branch doesn't meet all of it's goals, if it is still profitable, the employees there deserve a bonus AND a raise. They deserve to feel appreciated for all of the crap the customers put them through on a daily basis. We are told branch employees are the face of the bank, but you wouldn't stop washing your face for five years, would you? If back office gets raises, branch employees should too. If the bank is doing well enough to give raises to half of its employees, AND have a Christmas party, then it can afford to give raises to ALL of its employees. Even a cost of living raise is better than nothing!
Also, bring back overtime!!! There are branches that it would make life SOOO much easier if we could just work a Saturday for OT instead of having to take the day off from work during the week. It leads to unnecessary scheduling conflicts and confusion. A few hours of OT, every once in a while, should not be that big of a deal. Although again, I hear people in back office work it ALL THE TIME! Thanks.

Old and Corrupt

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Firstrust Bank full-time

ProsPay was fantastic. Too bad I have a soul.

ConsAffairs between managers and employees, in every office in my county. Mid management's unwillingness to make the bank more secure against inside theft by enforcing any kind of industry-standard operational rules, resulting in hand-over-fist employee theft. No online operational or regulatory guides, no operations specialists to ask questions to. "You just have to know". No one in back office answers their phones or email. If you see something that could be better, just save your breath. This machine has stayed the same for decades, and you will not be the one to change it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" should be the company motto. I've never seen anyone get promoted. I did see a lot of back office people get demoted back to the branches, though.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry auditing a branch, ever. You'd be surprised at what you see. Prosecute employees when you catch them committing a crime, instead of quietly firing them.

Great Company

Teller (Former Employee)

I worked at Firstrust Bank part-time for more than a year

ProsEmployees, friendly and fun atmosphere, great for first time jobs, learning experience, interaction with clients.

I worked at Firstrust right out of college and it was definitely a learning experience. My coworkers were friendly, helpful and the atmosphere was great. I had the privledge to work with friendly customers. This bank truly has a "family feel" and I would reccomend this bank to anyone looking for a job.

ConsBenefits and Pay are not very competitive but they are not bad compared to a few jobs. Harder to grow within a branch, although not impossible. Small knit team may not be for everyone.

Great Family-owned Bank

Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee)
Ardmore, PA

I worked at Firstrust Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsMuch better atmosphere or "culture" than many national or regional banks. Fewer levels of management means less micromanaging of front line employees. Fantastic compensation compared to industry competitors. Very dedicated to their employees.

ConsSmall company means very few opportunities for advancement. Despite being family owned, the bank's available accounts and customer fees and policies are identical to larger competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better advantage of being family owned by further differentiating yourselves from larger competitors with regards to available account types, services offered, and fee structuring instead of offering an identical product. Extend the culture enjoyed by employees to customers.

No growth, poor leadership

Marketing (Former Employee)
Conshohocken, PA

I worked at Firstrust Bank

ProsVery good to the communities where we had branches; lots of giving to schools and charities; very good to high net worth customers and business owners.

ConsNo raises for three years; poor direction from senior management - constantly changing priorities; senior leadership team wouldn't accept responsibility for their poor planning and lack of skill

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace SVP of Marketing; concentrate on retail branches; support IT with more skilled leadership; shift focus from commercial group; reward long-term employees who bring value to the bank

Ups and Downs

Manager (Current Employee)
Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at Firstrust Bank

ProsCommunity Oriented
Successful for over 76 years

ConsLittle growth potential
No progression in the market

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to communicate more effectively

Privately held ...family run

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStable and conservative
Involved in the local community
Hard work does not go unrecognized
Super Bonus!

ConsThick ambiguity
Nepotism
Resistant to change

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand or acquire

Firstrust great internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslearned a lot
enjoyed people i worked with
payed a great amount of money for an internship
very nice letter of recommendation for future employment

Conssometimes was monotonous and boring
only can be on the internet for 5 minutes at a time before it kicks you off

Advice to Senior Managementestablish a full internship program so that students can learn as a team and work together on project to get more jobs complete.

Worked for Firstrust Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Firstrust Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Firstrust Bank CEO Richard J. Green. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Firstrust Bank employees.