Fischer Homes

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.4

Bob Hawksley

Changed my life and career path in the best way imaginable.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fischer Homes full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Family environment with a focus on doing what's right instead of manipulating the numbers for a board. A very successful organization who is constantly looking to grow in other markets. They look to hire and develop their leaders within the organization, which benefits the employees opportunity to advance themselves. This company not only stayed alive during the recession, it grew through those times by expanding into 3 other markets. The recession was a horrible time for the building industry, but Fischer didn't just survive, it thrived.

Cons

Salary structure is not the highest, but the bonus structure is higher than the norm making the total compensation package possibility higher than the competition. Bonuses are not always easy to achieve. In my experience I have had successful experiences and some that were not the best. I also worked through the recession, so bonuses with tougher. Bonuses allow the employee the opportunity to choose their path. They can work more for a better reward with less work-life balance or not.

Management has changed and I still enjoy working for the new team. It would be nice to have a consistent direction from one leader to the next. The great part is that they will sit in a room and work through their differences.

Growth Potential

I have been working at Fischer Homes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with Fischer Homes for a little over a year. There are a number of management training programs to help with career advancement., and an exciting 5 year plan that will yield many growth opportunities.

Cons

None that I can think of

Room to Grow and Learn

I have been working at Fischer Homes full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have been able to learn the home building industry as well as grow professionally within the company. You are encouraged to take ownership of your career growth by participating in programs outside of your daily job responsibilities.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Continue promotions from within. This is added incentive for employees and shows that the hard work does payoff.

Great opportunities here !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fischer Homes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fischer Homes has given me great opportunities for career growth. The company truly stands behind its mission of trying to deliver the best new home buying experience possible. The company has solid leadership and if you contribute to this mission you are given plenty of opportunities for advancement. You can choose to grow in your role - or to branch out to other parts of the organization. The company has a solid growth plan. Working in the new home building industry is great - things are constantly changing with new designs, new communities, new ways to use technology. Fischer Homes is constantly changing its designs and offerings to be a leader in the industry.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Keep pushing for performance and growth ! Continue focusing on design and what customers are after.

Cheap company. Low pay. No investment in employee retention. Terrible upper management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erlanger, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erlanger, KY

I worked at Fischer Homes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They worked with my schedule when I needed to come in late, leave early ect. Most of the entry level to mid-management level employees are amazing. Seriously great people and many of them I call friends. Unless there was some major project going on I didn't have to work any crazy hours.

Cons

Most of the upper management has been with the company for a long time. This does NOT make them good leaders or directors. I'm pretty sure one director in particular can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. Almost all of management falls into one of two categories. They either micro manage everything or they don't do any management at all. The benefits aren't very good. The 401(k) "match" is something like 50% on the first 2% but it takes 5-7 years to become 100% vested and 1-2 years to get any match at all. Those numbers are estimates; I don't remember the exact percentages. The pay seems to be ~$10-20K less than industry average and don't hold out for a raise. My raise ended up being less than a $50/month increase. Unless your last name is Fischer, you don't get much. The average employment with the company seems to be less than 3 or 4 years if you aren't a Sales Counselor and less than a year if you are a Sales Counselor.

Invest in your employees. Make the company a place they WANT to work at. To do that you need to start treating the employees like you care about them. Give them competitive pay and better benefits. Hey Tim McMahon, this one is for you. I think you are a great leader and have a great personality. If you really want this company to operate 110%, you need to start with getting rid of most of your Directors (you do have a few really really good ones). None of the CAD operators respect their management, the Estimators/Const. Admins don't respect their management, the Divisions don't respect their management (mostly), and Accounting is the same way. This change needs to start from the top down. This company is going to make money either way but too really shine you need a complete revamp of the culture.

Great Company, Division, and Culture!

Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Counselor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Fischer Homes full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fischer Homes is a great company, and I'm happy I chose to join the Atlanta team! They invest in their employee's training and development, which is more than can be said for a lot of companies out there these days, specifically builders. I'm working in the Atlanta Division, but the excitement and appreciation can be felt company-wide, and you'll know this once you step into the corporate offices in Ohio. Also, the quality of the homes is top notch. Nothing beats selling a product you can stand behind 100%!

Cons

Insurance benefits are not so great for family - quite expensive!

Consider more affordable insurance options for employees with families.

Not sure which I sold more of...houses or my soul?

Former Employee - Anonymous in Erlanger, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Erlanger, KY

I worked at Fischer Homes full-time

Pros

Great product, excellent designs. Story of the company's foundation: inspirational. Proprietary computer systems/IT support: completely solid for a small firm.

Cons

Challenges of working here - trying to live your life simultaneously. If you value your personal life, professional reputation or, consequently, both, Fischer will put forth an attempt to destroy them. You will step on land mine (poor training) after land mine (zero work/life balance) after land mine (dysfunctional leadership). In the end, your career will explode before you and you'll spend a long, long time becoming whole again.

The talented people who love this company are leaving - some by choice, others by force. Either way, it is a heart-wrenching experience. Do the company a favor: examine the mass exodus of talent from your organization and sincerely question the decisions made. Right your path, Fischer. It's much harder to build a great home than it is to build an educated, loyal team.

Don't believe the hype...

Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Columbus, OH

I worked at Fischer Homes full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work space was somewhat ok.

Cons

Terrible management/ownership. Very management top heavy, needed to constantly train, because they cannot keep anyone in a sale position for a long period of time. It's a revolving door of sales people.

Sell the place.

Phenomenal

I have been working at Fischer Homes full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has very high customer satisfaction, and builds great homes. It is extremely sound financially, and was able to expand into new markets during the toughest part of the housing downturn (when other builders were struggling). To be a privately held company, and have that financial ability, speaks to the rock-solid operational strategy of the company. Great culture, great team of people across the board. Definitely one of the best places to work!

Cons

It is definitely a results-oriented company, so employees are expected to produce, which is not the perfect fit for everyone. If you are willing to work hard, and be a great team-player, the sky's the limit.

Continue to execute the core values of the company - bright future!

Unappreciative Management of Sales teams- Out of touch

Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Crestview Hills, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Counselor in Crestview Hills, KY

I worked at Fischer Homes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits overall were good if you work internally - not in sales positions. Sales positions could make 100k +/year if you kiss enough butt to get into a selling neighborhood, then work 60-80 every single week for a year or so, continue to take your managers verbal and mental abuse to make it to see the closings to get paid. The nagging never stops.

Cons

Never ending nagging. No sales numbers are ever good enough. If you aren't a total Yes man and are willing to have absolutely no personal life and like to live in fear of losing your job (which also means losing your earned commissions) or losing your neighborhood that you have worked so hard to build.. its a good place to work.

Don't just hire new managers just like yourself or like the last loser who failed his own business... or the manager you fired years ago. Hire managers who encourage and support sales teams. Without sales people SELLING your houses - NONE of you would have a job!