Fiserv EFT Solutions

Updated February 11, 2015
2.5

CEO

FISERV Temp To Hire

I have been working at Fiserv EFT Solutions full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Location, Near Local Public Transportation.
    Commendable hours
    Fun Activities during holidays & Special Events

Cons

Temporary workers are offered permanent job positions based on experience, punctuality, work-flow, & availability

N/A

Good for a stepping stone but not much else...

I have been working at Fiserv EFT Solutions full-time

Pros

The location is easily accessible via public transit.
    This job can be a good stepping stone to another job.
    The multiple shifts are good for those needing flexible schedules.

Cons

It is highly difficult to advance.
    The office culture is undesirable.
    The salaries aren't competitive and raises are meager at best.

There needs to be some restructuring and training provided to management BEFORE people are thrown into positions.

Fiserv not that accommodating.

Former Employee - Technical Express Client Services Representative
    Former Employee - Technical Express Client Services Representative

I worked at Fiserv EFT Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Anyone under management are nice and helpful. Close to nice restaurants. They have silent auctions in support of charities like cancer and diabetes.

Cons

FMLA time was used against persons in their review and when promotions came up. I was told that since I used my FMLA, I was not in the office and they want people in the office. Sounds reasonable but.....how horrible to use personal tragedy against you.

Everything we had for moral was taken away because other departments complained. Instead of taking away things that boosted moral in my dept, why couldn't management boosted moral in their departments? Now there is no moral. It doesn't matter what dept you are in, no one is happy anymore. WTG management.

Management in Express say they care about the representatives but, their actions and other words are much different. One rep told management that she needed out of the email box because of the stress it was causing and she was on anxiety meds because of it. This rep was told by her manager to "do your job as assigned or quit." Not a manager I would want to work for. The rep was told by her doctor that if she did not get out of the email box or find another job, this job would kill her.

Let people read books. Even just a brief moment, a sentence on a page, is enough to bring some moral back. I remember being able to quilt at my desk as long as my work was caught up and no one else needed help. It was nice and people were happy. Pay Express Client Services more. They put up with a lot of hooey from clients, other departments, and managers. Their job is tough and are the front line when a client calls in. I worked in Express and know just how tough that job is. I once got a call just before Express closed about an ATM that was broken. This particular client never had anything kind to say, just yelled a lot and complained a lot. I and an ATM rep had that ATM fixed before Business on Monday. We did not get a thank you or blow me from this client...no, she just yelled at me more and complained more. This type of stuff is why Express does not get paid near enough for what they do. I hear more had been piled on to express since my leaving. I recommend stopping that. I,myself ended up on anxiety meds because of the job.

To Jeff Yabuki, I would recommend not taking a bonus when no one else in the company gets a pay raise due to the economy. Byes, people still remember that. I also recommend that Mr. Yabuki take a deep dark look at Express Client Services and see why there is such a high turnover. I would show up unannounced if I were you.

Awesome place to work but some fear will shy people away.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Morris Plains, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Morris Plains, NJ

I worked at Fiserv EFT Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great team work and wonderful associates.

Cons

There was intimidation and fear throughout the organization because of some senior leaders. Employees should have flexabilty instead of strict scrutiny.

Some of the senior leaders need to understand the work-life balance and they need to realize that many associates need to attend to family needs and a flexible environment is very important in today day and age.

Enjoy the work itself but not the environment.

I have been working at Fiserv EFT Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A dynamic, interesting & challenging industry. Intelligent workforce for the most part.

Cons

Insurance plan that gets worse every year. Treated as though you should be lucky to have a job. Seen too people resign in this economy. Red flags. Upper management turns a blind eye as long as numbers look good. Salaries are stagnant. No incentive to be loyal when cost of living increase mean nothing to your compensation. Only executives enjoy monetary rewards. NOT on Forbes Best Companies to work for in 2014 as self described.

Educate & hold management accountable as Managers who grow their people professionally in a positive atmosphere. Compensation creates loyalty in this economy.

Workplace Culture

Former Employee - Client Services in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Client Services in Portland, OR

I worked at Fiserv EFT Solutions full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Express Client Service group in Portland, OR was an awesome team to work with. Management always finding ways to improve work life in a positive and dynamic work environment.

Cons

Medical benefits are not great.

Process over results. Mediocre benefits, disconnected management, expensive health care, frequent re-orgs, low morale.

Current Contractor - Project Manager
    Current Contractor - Project Manager

I have been working at Fiserv EFT Solutions as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I'm lucky enough to work in a showplace office where a the majority of executives and senior leadership work; the facilities are nice even if they are showing their age; and the cafeteria serves the best food of anywhere I've ever worked. Bring bug spray if you work in other offices. You do get to work from home pretty often. If you're the type who likes to keep their mouth shut and do as-told, you will do well at this company by simply following process and making friends with a few key long-term employees.

Cons

Extremely heavy process footprint. Project quality is measured by adherence to process; budget/schedule variances and level of re-work are secondary considerations. Adherence to process is prioritized over common sense or even quality of end-results (opposite of most companies). Every project must go through multiple toll gates and governance reviews - projects which would take 4-6 months in other companies literally take years to complete at Fiserv. Project re-scopes, cost over-runs, and schedule delays are extremely common. Lower and middle management has built a set of processes and reporting structures that hide these problems.

Process and governance developed in a vacuum. Most of the company's internal business and operational processes are developed without input or feedback. The corporate Governance board is staffed with brand-new managers only 1-3 years out of college or long-term line and project managers who have never been promoted, very few in-between --- those who are least-qualified to develop best practices. The governance board and other gatekeepers feel strongly that they are the team who really runs the company and often say so out loud in public meetings.

Excessive middle management layers and constant re-organizations. Re-orgs happen several times a year, with at least one major re-org per quarter. Politically well-connected individuals move up quickly while others languish, which has led to a large core of long-term employees in junior-to-middle management - many of whom started with the company straight out of college and have never worked anywhere else - being promoted well past the Peter Principle. A large number of junior and middle managers are still in the same roles after 20+ years, having created overly-complex and undocumented business processes to ensure they're secure in a role where don't have to work very hard or contribute anything new. Easily 10-15 percent of middle managers across the organization perform functions that could be duplicated by an automated spreadsheet extract or scheduled process within Remedy and/or Clarity/SAP.

Poorly-trained technical staff. The level of technical knowledge and experience is generally fair-to-mediocre, especially among middle managers and long-term employees.Most operational units are much more interested in controlling their work intake queue than in producing high-quality or on-time results. Technology decisions are made based on what's easiest for a given team's work load, or what products the staff is most familiar with, rather than on what's best for the company's long-term technological competitiveness. Data centers are touted within the company as "state of the art facilities" while they are actually designed and built around mid-1990's to early-2000's era principles.

Break the insular and self-reflective culture. Re-train or re-assign any manager who's been at the same level for 20 years or more (there are an awful lot of those in this company). Provide more-extensive training for the technical staff. Focus layoffs and restructurings on those who've not grown or progressed (clean out the excessive layers of middle management) rather than following the "last hired first fired" mentality.

Extremely poor senior management, focus on expense management to the detriment of growth and innovation

Former Employee - Senior Vice President
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President

I worked at Fiserv EFT Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people are really great at what they do - lots of experience, customer focused.

Cons

Total lack of training, company does not live its values, executive leadership is very poor - almost MIA

Headed in the wrong direction

I worked at Fiserv EFT Solutions

Pros

Coworker environment is friendly and there are always new opportunities to learn other areas. Decent cafeteria plan considering the amount paid.

Cons

Management is unwilling to listen to suggestions and areas of needed improvement. The company is more worried about the bottom line than their employees.

Management should be able to handle job transitions of employees in and out of the company more professionally.

Striving for mediocrity

I have been working at Fiserv EFT Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As long as you are breathing, keep your mouth shut, complete your tasks as "they" want with no direction or training and don't mind being treated like a child you have great job security. Being average should be your goal...like the majority of employees.

Working here will jump-start your job search for anywhere else. L

Cons

Managers have no authority, pay is well below average, raises are granted on the good 'ol boy system. If you work in a "show" office the facilities are excellent. For the majority that work in other facilities bring your own bug spray. The systems are antiquated, tech support is minimal, the sales team make promises that the technical side is expected to fulfill without the technology that was sold. Executive honesty is absent and line employees are expected to say whatever it takes to redirect client expectations.

Training is non-existent. Work - life balance is the catchword of the day..... as long as 50 hours per week, weekends and an electronic tether are part of that equation. Benefits are shameful.

Share a little bit of your excessive compensation with the slaves. The Captain of the Titannic pushed his systems past their design limits also......