Fiserv

Employer Engaged

Horrible treatment of contractors

Former Contractor - Technical Support Analyst in Irving, TX
    Former Contractor - Technical Support Analyst in Irving, TX

I worked at Fiserv as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Interviews were structured and encouraging

Cons

Fiserv contracted me and several others to run Tandem/Unix support for multiple shifts. Our training was very structured and the lead technician was very professional. Once training was over and our shifts were established, all that changed.

The shifts we were told we'd get were not the same once we started working. I was told in the interview I'd be getting 2nd shift Monday thru Friday. Instead, I was stuck with the graveyard shift which ran through the weekends. Since I was on lay staff at my church, I politely asked if this could be changed. I didn't make a big issue out of it; just respectfully inquired

The woman who took over as our team lead (and who was responsible for our shifts) openly criticized me in front of my co-workers. She made it seem like I was a drag on the team, and insinuated I was some kind of religious nut. I went ahead and performed the graveyard shift, because I didn't want to stir up any trouble.

Adjusting to this shift was not easy since it my first overnight work. While I performed my tasks flawlessly (some of which involved hourly batch processes) I did have to get up and walk around a bit on my breaks, so I could stay awake.

The following Monday, after my shift, I got a call from my recruiter about "suspicious behavior". Apparently, this manager told them my walking around in this manner was "highly suspicious" and that I "didn't have enough to do". I cleared up this misconception with my recruiter, letting them know that I was simply trying to stay awake. All my work had been timely and I had tracked all potential security issues during my shift. Regardless, the recruiter told me to be careful, since I was all of a sudden on thin ice with the company.

I realized pretty quickly this woman had it out for me, based whole church comment. She decided to punish me my assigning me to assist another night guy run cable. This put me in an even more compromising position, since I had hourly tasks to perform on the Tandem server. All this time, this women never spoke to me directly about it. Not once. It was almost as if she was afraid to talk to the very people she hired.

In speaking with others, I learned that her department had an alarming amount of turnover since she was moved into that position. People would be working there one day, and then mysteriously disappear a week later. I recall once instance where a computer operator developed an allergic reaction to her co-worker's cologne (almost to the point of breaking out in hives). Instead of moving her to a different location, they simply fired her.

My last week there, I alerted the staff to a server that had gone down. It was a pretty severe issue, and we all had to get on a conference call about it. Two hours later, the issue had been resolved. The senior manager (over the female manager who didn't like me) even personally thanked me for spotting the issue in time.

The following Tuesday, I get another call from my recruiter. Guess what? Fiserv had ENDED my assignment. This time, they claimed I was "destroying files" and "banging my head against the wall".

There was not an ounce of truth to what she said. She didn't even bother to look for an excuse; she just made something up. If I hadn't been able to secure a job soon after, I'm pretty sure I would have filed a wrongful termination suit. The staffing agency agreed this was wrong, and even mentioned they were about to stop doing business with Fiserv.

I later found out they let go of the other people on my team as well. Probably the same B.S. as I went through. I question this company's appointment of management and overall ethics. I would encourage anyone looking to work at Fiserv to seriously consider what they are getting into. This company does NOT have your best interests in mind.

Appoint people with proven leadership skills, rather than going by the buddy system. Communicate with contractors as well as full-time staff. After all, they're carrying the bulk of the load. Get some ethics, for God's sake.

Don't waste your time

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Fiserv full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to working for this company.

Cons

Work/Life Balance: You'll work 80hr weeks and get paid for 40.
    Insurance: HDHP w/HSA. It's only good for emergencies otherwise you're on your own
    Stability: They do layoffs every year.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, people, culture, work-life balance, benefits

Cons

Very large company with many products. Can take some time navigating through everything.

Control your career

I worked at Fiserv full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. At every level you will gain valuable knowledge to enrich yourself and further your career, as Fiserv operates in the fast paced financial services arena 2. You control your career, as advancement is merit-based and there is lots of opportunity if you choose to go after it 3. Good mentoring at all levels

Cons

At any large company, bureaucracy can slow things down, so expect this and work with it. Work-Life balance is there, if you enforce it.

Competitive place to work that rewards effort and success.

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company strives to be the best of breed in its industry. I have personally made a career over many years at Fiserv even though the banking industry that we servs has struggled mightily from time to time. Fiserv believes that there is always a way to meet client needs and it looks for good people that have passion and get satisfaction in meeting them.

Cons

If you like don't like change, this is not the place to be. Fiserv is continually working to remake its culture in the face of multiple acquisitions.

invest heavily in an integrated suite of innovative products.

Slowly chipping away at benefits

Current Employee - Product Manager in Corvallis, OR
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Corvallis, OR

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady reliable company that continues to optimize

Cons

Continued consolidation at expense of employees

The company as a whole does not value its employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work-life balance was exactly what I was looking for--40 hour work week.

Cons

The company values did not align with my own. Safety, productivity, and continuous improvement was not important in my department. Management also did a very poor job at engaging and listening to their employees for ideas about improving processes and communicating changes. There was little support and team work between departments and policies were enforced very inconsistently between employees. The best example I can provide to summarize Fiserv has to do with the wages. For almost 9 months now, newly hired employees are making almost $1.50 per hour more than existing employees, even those that have 5+ years of service. Big slap in the face Fiserv.

Listen to and value your employees.

Great opportunity with a large company transitioning in the right direction!!

Current Employee - Manager in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Career Growth
    Pay
    Work from home
    Work/Life balance

Cons

Benefits are on the expensive side

Continue the transparent communication while the company is continuing to transition from a holding company to a operating company.

Your miles may vary

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Fiserv full-time

Pros

The team I work for is amazing - everyone works hard and is dedicated to creating and supporting our products. In general, the salary and benefits seem to be around the middle of industry-standard and the work-life balance is good.

Also, Fiserv really does create some terrific products.

Cons

Like many large companies, the bureaucracy oftentimes prevents employees from doing their jobs effectively. Also, decisions are made higher up with little or no thought to the ancillary effects of those decisions.

And too often, "but that's the way we've always done it" is considered a valid excuse - many departments are risk-averse in the extreme and this prevents them from reacting in any way to situations that are unfamiliar to them. The result is that they freeze and do nothing - literally.

Recognize the contribution of ALL of the employees, not just the managers and VPs. And make an actual effort to correct the risk-averse culture.

Horrible place to work for

Former Employee - Chargeback Specialist
    Former Employee - Chargeback Specialist

I worked at Fiserv full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the people are great to work with

Cons

They force travel when not in job description plus do not provide proper training.

Give employees more recognition and follow job description. If travel is not listed in with the job description don't force it on the employee.