FishNet Security

Add Photos

Rich Fennessy

Amazing family culture

Account Executive (Current Employee) Pitts, PA

ProsThe management at Fishnet truly holds all of their employees in their own family, I have been here many years and consider my co-workers and management my close friends. The company also does a great job at putting the right person at the helm of each consulting practice to ensure our clients are best served as well as our credibility secure. We have unmatched experts and a strong support structure

ConsBeing in a remote office there are sometimes delays in information getting out to our area, however I can take the focus of ensuring I am connected

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in current staff - training, work life balance seminars

Great experience.

ProsThe base pay is excellent.

ConsThe benefits are very poor. Scheduling is inconsistent. Some policies are short sighted.

Great company outgrowing its shoes

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsI absolutely loved working at FishNet. I loved traveling and picking up the various rewards. I was an underdog from the beginning, but I had lots of encouragement from my director. I always had the opportunity to learn new technologies. A test/learning lab was provided with many of the technologies sold by FishNet. With some consideration, I'd return if given the opportunity.

ConsWhile FishNet was a great company, it seemed they were experiencing growing pains. For well over a year our team was expanding, but some people continued to be underutilized. Eventually this stopped and the team experienced a sudden reduction in consultants. It also was not unusual to be pushed to consult on a product you had never seen or touched before, which can really make you question the product you are providing to the client.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down and think about your decisions. If the work doesn't exist, don't keep expanding. Utilize your employees where they are strong.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bizarre culture

Account Executive (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFast-growing company, possible to make $$$ with rbi and spiffs

ConsChurn and burn philosophy. Inconsistent message from different executives about focus on product vs services sales. Not enough time to build out book of business, and preference is definitely given to long-time employees when assigning/re-assigning accounts.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through when committing to long-term objectives for building business. Engage in true open communication, and let results speak for themselves. Recognize the difference between a true enterprise rep and a transaction-based rep whose average deal size is under $50k regardless of the volume of transactions.

FishNet is a VAR wtih a consulting problem

Director (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsNice office, friendly people, good brand recognition. When I started information flowed freely and everyone felt like they were well informed.

ConsThe management of this organization bends over backwards for the sales organization while sacrificing major opportunities in the consulting side of the business. When a professional services organization needs support from sales, it is distant or hostile. The pay is also something that needs to change, in the past the reputation was enough to make up for lower than average industry pay for the consulting team. With the company growing and losing some of the great benefits of being an agile company the pay either needs to come up to industry standards or people will continue to leave for similar companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at what the company is turning into. It feels like back office departments are getting leaned out to show a better bottom line. That doesn't go unnoticed and is making an impact on the reputation

so far, so good after 4 weeks

SOC Analyst I (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsManagers know you and recognize accomplishments. Lots of free food - I had three free meals the first week I was there, with snacks or lunches at least once each week. Home office (and SOC) located on an extensive technology campus with lots of trees, shaded walks, waterfalls, health club, cafe, and special parking for green vehicles

ConsHard to take lunch as the job consists of monitoring three screens of SIEM information. Taking lunch means a colleague has to take over your screens as well as her own
    24/7 environment covered by 4 shifts with the possibility of moving between shifts
    Salary is low - colleagues comment that it is a great place to learn new skills, then go somewhere else to make more money

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't plan on burning out staff and having them leave for better salaries. You would be better off to burn them out and keep them with above-average salaries

Great company, bad sales management

Account Executive (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsHighly capable within their respective field and the company is full of thought leaders and technical capability that put others to shame.

ConsWhat good is all the capability if you don't allow your sales people the longevity to build solid long term relationships and credibility. The new ownership of FishNet, Investcorp, appears to be pushing down a strategy of quick hit sales and a revolving door of sales people. I felt like I was back selling copiers. Each month whatever you did is never enough, even when over goal. Sales Managers are detached, unenthusiastic, disinterested and uninformed about their reps and their territories. They role seems to be exclusively to higher and fire as fast as possible with no responsibility for being a resource for their team, advocating for their reps and/or building a team with common goals. Glad to be gone!

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the above. I'm not alone and the culture shift is a major topic of discussion among your employees!

Interesting

Security Consultant (Former Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsSome in Management are awesome to report to

ConsOffice and client/customer politics which limit and restrict the consultant role

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together - those who engage in office and client/customer politics P.G. S.C.

Rapid Growth causing unintended ripples

ProsLove working here, love the job I am tasked to do here. I am provided the opportunitity to work with numerous customers and solve a variety of different problems for those customers each week.

Consbut with such growth comes the unintended ripples of small minded ideas and visions, inadequate pay structures, and processes built for an oranization of 200 people not 750 people

The potential is there... the leadership is not.

Pros- Some solid, smart and very talented people.
    - Lack of leadership/management offers the opportunity to prove yourself and chart your own course.
    - Strong technology partnerships and broad services portfolio offer delivery opportunities to cross train and expand skillsets.
    - Huge upside and potential if the "good ole boy" network would get out of their own way. Hopefully this transition can occur with the new investment firm's leadership and scrutiny.

Cons- Low compensation and high expectations lead to high turnover for talented employees.
    - Much of the leadership team has been in place since it was an organization 1/10 the size and it shows. More experienced, strategic leadership will be required for the organization to reach it's financial goals.
    - Sales-driven, tactical organization with little to no ability to chart a strategic course and stick to it.
    - Ultimately beholden to a select group of "strategic partners" (AKA product vendors with cash to burn) which impacts credibility and viability in the marketplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiven management's lack of vision, experience and inability to evolve is the primary issue, there isn't much advice other than to seek out proven replacements for key leadership roles.

Worked for FishNet Security? Contribute to the Community!