FishNet Security

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014
3.3

Rich Fennessy

The company is going from good to great. Enjoying the energy.

I have been working at FishNet Security full-time

Pros

FishNet Security employs a large group of intelligent, motivated people with an entrepreneurial spirit who want to be the best and brightest at what they do - cyber security. They have a competitive nature that motivates all to work hard and keep moving. I enjoy working working at FishNet and being part of the energy that is propelling us forward. Looking forward to seeing what we will be like in 1, 2 and 10 years.

Cons

There are not enough hours in the day, days in the week or weeks in the year to get everything done if you want to be Number 1. If that is a negative, so be it. I would rather be very busy than bored with hum drum.

Great managment team who is taking the company to the next level.

Great co-workers but that's about it...

I worked at FishNet Security full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great, hard working co-workers.
    Free food sometimes.
    This USED to be a great company.

Cons

This used to be a great company that valued it's employees but it was purchased and has steadily gone downhill ever since.
    They do not pay market standard and good luck getting a decent raise.
    Unless you are in sales or leadership, they do not value your department as money is FishNet's god. Period.
    They do nothing to keep employees trained (good luck after new employee orientation because that's all you get). They also don't do anything to retain employees as most good ones walk right out the door because they can find a better job elsewhere.
    Management is good for a small company but they do not have the right leadership in place to grow like they want to. They need to look at the senior team and really evaluate if the right people are in place. Leadership is focused on the bottom line and nothing else.
    Favoritism is rampant.

Treat your employees better.
    Provide real training, raises and truly listen to your employees.
    Quit thinking money is your only focus as you have talent walking out the door every day. Focus on that for once.

Amazing family culture

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Pitts, PA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Pitts, PA

I have been working at FishNet Security full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The management at Fishnet truly holds all of their employees in their own family, I have been here many years and consider my co-workers and management my close friends. The company also does a great job at putting the right person at the helm of each consulting practice to ensure our clients are best served as well as our credibility secure. We have unmatched experts and a strong support structure

Cons

Being in a remote office there are sometimes delays in information getting out to our area, however I can take the focus of ensuring I am connected

Invest in current staff - training, work life balance seminars

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience.

I have been working at FishNet Security

Pros

The base pay is excellent.

Cons

The benefits are very poor. Scheduling is inconsistent. Some policies are short sighted.

Great company outgrowing its shoes

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at FishNet Security full-time

Pros

I absolutely loved working at FishNet. I loved traveling and picking up the various rewards. I was an underdog from the beginning, but I had lots of encouragement from my director. I always had the opportunity to learn new technologies. A test/learning lab was provided with many of the technologies sold by FishNet. With some consideration, I'd return if given the opportunity.

Cons

While FishNet was a great company, it seemed they were experiencing growing pains. For well over a year our team was expanding, but some people continued to be underutilized. Eventually this stopped and the team experienced a sudden reduction in consultants. It also was not unusual to be pushed to consult on a product you had never seen or touched before, which can really make you question the product you are providing to the client.

Slow down and think about your decisions. If the work doesn't exist, don't keep expanding. Utilize your employees where they are strong.

Bizarre culture

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at FishNet Security full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fast-growing company, possible to make $$$ with rbi and spiffs

Cons

Churn and burn philosophy. Inconsistent message from different executives about focus on product vs services sales. Not enough time to build out book of business, and preference is definitely given to long-time employees when assigning/re-assigning accounts.

Follow through when committing to long-term objectives for building business. Engage in true open communication, and let results speak for themselves. Recognize the difference between a true enterprise rep and a transaction-based rep whose average deal size is under $50k regardless of the volume of transactions.

FishNet is a VAR wtih a consulting problem

Former Employee - Director  in  Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Director in Overland Park, KS

I worked at FishNet Security full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice office, friendly people, good brand recognition. When I started information flowed freely and everyone felt like they were well informed.

Cons

The management of this organization bends over backwards for the sales organization while sacrificing major opportunities in the consulting side of the business. When a professional services organization needs support from sales, it is distant or hostile. The pay is also something that needs to change, in the past the reputation was enough to make up for lower than average industry pay for the consulting team. With the company growing and losing some of the great benefits of being an agile company the pay either needs to come up to industry standards or people will continue to leave for similar companies.

Take a look at what the company is turning into. It feels like back office departments are getting leaned out to show a better bottom line. That doesn't go unnoticed and is making an impact on the reputation

so far, so good after 4 weeks

Current Employee - SOC Analyst I  in  Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - SOC Analyst I in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at FishNet Security full-time for less than a year

Pros

Managers know you and recognize accomplishments. Lots of free food - I had three free meals the first week I was there, with snacks or lunches at least once each week. Home office (and SOC) located on an extensive technology campus with lots of trees, shaded walks, waterfalls, health club, cafe, and special parking for green vehicles

Cons

Hard to take lunch as the job consists of monitoring three screens of SIEM information. Taking lunch means a colleague has to take over your screens as well as her own
    24/7 environment covered by 4 shifts with the possibility of moving between shifts
    Salary is low - colleagues comment that it is a great place to learn new skills, then go somewhere else to make more money

Don't plan on burning out staff and having them leave for better salaries. You would be better off to burn them out and keep them with above-average salaries

Great company, bad sales management

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at FishNet Security full-time for more than a year

Pros

Highly capable within their respective field and the company is full of thought leaders and technical capability that put others to shame.

Cons

What good is all the capability if you don't allow your sales people the longevity to build solid long term relationships and credibility. The new ownership of FishNet, Investcorp, appears to be pushing down a strategy of quick hit sales and a revolving door of sales people. I felt like I was back selling copiers. Each month whatever you did is never enough, even when over goal. Sales Managers are detached, unenthusiastic, disinterested and uninformed about their reps and their territories. They role seems to be exclusively to higher and fire as fast as possible with no responsibility for being a resource for their team, advocating for their reps and/or building a team with common goals. Glad to be gone!

Read the above. I'm not alone and the culture shift is a major topic of discussion among your employees!

Interesting

Former Employee - Security Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Security Consultant in Kansas City, MO

I worked at FishNet Security full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some in Management are awesome to report to

Cons

Office and client/customer politics which limit and restrict the consultant role

Get your act together - those who engage in office and client/customer politics P.G. S.C.

Worked for FishNet Security? Contribute to the Community!