Fishbowl Marketing Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Dev Ganesan

Pros
  • free bagels every Friday, happy hours and company meetings with free food and bands, great work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Great culture--CEO and management care about employees (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Since we're growing so fast, work load for some can be too much at times (in 2 reviews)

• If you are offended, DON'T SAY ANYTHING, it will remove any opportunity for career growth (in 2 reviews)

1. Everyone is so friendly and the work is fascinating!

Current Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bright open floor plan which allows for collaboration. Everyone seems to be upbeat and positive. There is NEVER a dull day at the office. The day fly's by and the work we are doing is so exciting!

Cons

There seems to be animosity from recent changes but i hope that mindset can be overcome. It's only a few team members who have had friends that were let go that seem to have this opinion. Overall, I haven't come across any negatives but all things has its' challenges.

Advice to Management

Help nurture those in need by getting them excited about the future. I'm excited!

2. Good stuff happening

I have been working at Fishbowl Marketing full-time

Pros

Company is transforming from an email provider to a deep analytics platform provider. Market leader with good brand and loyal customers. Cool office space and culture.

Cons

Lots of change happening quickly so need to buckle in.

Advice to Management

Move fast and communicate.

No values or communication

I have been working at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great views from the office and there is a beautiful balcony.

Cons

People don't say anything and do the least required of them. Six people left in the last couple of weeks and management seems to not even notice or care.

People talk about how this place used to be so much fun but in my short time here, there is no fun happening around here. There is no doubt that posts that rave about the work or culture are planted because this place is miserable.

Advice to Management

The Executives seem to think they don't have to even say hello to people. This is a small company and managers are following your lead.

Company on the upswing

Former Employee - Director, Product Management in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Director, Product Management in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing

Pros

Smart people, amazing position in the industry - clear leader, awesome product and platform, great clients. Now's the time to ride the growth.

Cons

Company recently went through a transformation - used to be slower moving and less experienced at high growth. Now, filled with a team who knows how to scale and grow. Excited to see what happens.

Advice to Management

Tough to balance past efforts with new direction. Good luck and look forward to watching the progress as the company achieves new heights!

Marketing Services

I have been working at Fishbowl Marketing full-time

Pros

Innovation and technology are the core of this company. So many exciting products and services. Moving fast and growing bigger everyday.

Cons

Lots of changes and uncertainty. Morals are low. Miss the culture.

Company transitioned

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and people. Work atmosphere was relaxed, yet challenging. New products were very interesting. Overall, the company seemed to have a good spot in the marketplace, and was positioned to become a market leader. Work was steady and pay was average.

Cons

They brought in a new CEO and completely changed the direction of the company. Every person with any experience was let go, or left voluntarily. This included every level of the company from staff through management. No one seems to have any idea what the new vision is for the company, or how they will get there.

Advice to Management

You lost everyone at the company who had any experience, including a lot of really good people who were dedicated and good at their jobs. You broke something that was already working well...

Technical Analyst

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in, great people to work with. Professional when need be and fun when need be. Really flexible.

Cons

Training is somewhat lax. Often times, things would get chaotic, essentially the left foot didn't know what the right foot was doing. So you really have to be detail oriented.

Trying for a fair and honest review for executives and candidates alike.

I have been working at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm going to try and give my personal take on pros and cons at this company. Some of the reviews do seem a little fluffy.

-Coworkers are great to work with even across departments. I've met some great people and some not so great. I think that's par for any workplace.
    -I feel that I have learned an incredible amount and have grown as a employee in terms of personal skills. I think that is still true of people here at fishbowl. I've known people to grow their career here and move on to other amazing companies. I think that can still happen even with the current state of flux.
    -Compensation seems fair when researched with the area and benefits also are fair.
    -Dress code is casual which I personally love.
    -Still a great startup feel to the company.
    -Lots of others. Recommend reading other reviews. I agree with most of them.

Cons

-Recent layoffs and people leaving the company have shaken many who still remain, and why wouldn't it?. Many departments have lost their "champions for the cause". (Doesn't mean there isn't room for new people to take up this flag.)
    -Company is going through a rough phase and is rebuilding. Opportunity for some, time to run for others.
    -C-Suite is perceived as a mystery even though they come from very successful backgrounds.

Advice to Management

I'm going to try for constructive criticism in this section.

Most people here want to work hard at their job and do a good job. People care about this company which is why they are so vocal on the reviews. It seems to be that perception of the new C-suite's empathy and attitude is what is at the core of low moral. Earn the employees trust again. Employees want you to be honest and transparent even if it's bad news. We haven't had an all hands meeting in a while which is not perceived well. Don't pretend there isn't low moral and dismiss the people who leave as they just couldn't handle change. (Although i'm sure that has some degree of truth.) Address moral directly with the company (and not with an email) and what you plan to do about it. People want to physically see the leaders lead not just receive mass emails from them. I believe employees will respect that and help them through the hard times.
    People want to work for a company and a product they believe in. We need to see some proof, and even better inspiration, that the work we are all doing is meaningful.

Culture is very important. The founder championed it and still should. It is apparent in his body language, presentations, and attitude. If you can't resurrect the old culture create a better one!

Company Sucks

Current Employee - Programmer in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Fishbowl Marketing (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro is the location on the Potomac River. Great place to eat lunch on the balcony.

Cons

EVERYTHING! Executives are terrible. EXPECT to WORK ALL THE TIME!

Advice to Management

Remember what made this company the best place to work in previous years. The fantastic company that was is a distant memory. Value your employees! Respect them and remember that they are doing ALL OF THE HARD WORK.

New CEO talks a big game

I have been working at Fishbowl Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked here for a year and the company I joined was a great place. The people cared about their work, each other and the clients. I woke up each day wanting to go to work.

Cons

A new CEO joined about 6 months ago and watching him suck the life out of this place has been tough. We all tried to give him a chance as he was suppose to understand how to run a tech company. The technology he chose does not work, the major release of our analytics platform was suppose to be released in December then January and last week it was about to be released and it failed. We are out selling something we can not seem to deliver. We basically are selling vaporware.

The guy is always saying how bad our technology is and how the company did not know what it was doing. Well...then why did you accept the job is everything is so bad? Why doesn't he understand that his rants (about how terrible everything is) actually hurt the people who came before him and make him look foolish for joining the company?

I don't know anyone (including the new people) who actually has trusts or respects him. Even his "followers" don't buy into his act.

Advice to Management

If you want to get the best out of people, they have to want to work with you. DC has tons of other opportunities and no one has to stay and work for someone who creates so much mistrust.

Admit you have made mistakes and it will go a long way. Stop blaming everyone and talking so badly about people. I am fairly new, barely know any of the people you are trashing and it still makes me uncomfortable.

Sales people need products to sell. If we continue not to be able to deliver new products, our clients will lose their patience. No one cares that the CTO comes from Silicon Valley, they only care if he can deliver great products and that;s not happening. Its not fair just to blame the CTO because you (CEO) are accountable.

RSS Feed </> Embed