Fisher Investments Reviews

Updated April 10, 2015
252 reviews filtered by
Fisher Investments Founder, Chairman and CEO Ken Fisher
Ken Fisher

Pros
  • Work/Life balance: We are in finance, right (in 9 reviews)

• Learn a lot about sales, useful later on in different areas of employment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours without the corresponding raise in pay (in 9 reviews)

• You have learned to sell, yes, but you have learned to sell Fisher not money management (in 9 reviews)

1. Thrilled Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Take your seats, everyone. Fisher is truly a great place to launch a career, and I promise you this isn't Bloomberg propaganda. If you're competitive, accountable, talented, sharp, outgoing, and have a good sense of humor, then look no further!

I'm a woman who has never felt disrespected or been made to feel uncomfortable in this work environment. Why did I feel the need to mention that? Well, I noticed that there are scathing reviews from self-entitled ex- and current employees who feel validated by trying to smear the FI reputation. There are happy female employees everywhere in the firm. I haven't even come close to witnessing the previously mentioned complaints in action. Bear in mind that those who don't do well in their respective roles are more driven to be vocal and tend to create caricatures of the actual respectable people and managers who keep the firm going.

I love my role as an Account Executive. I get paid based on my performance in addition to my salary; I wouldn't have it any other way. Correct me if I'm wrong, but management discusses compensation with you BEFORE you accept the offer, no? That goes over some people's heads. Hello? It's a sales role. If I don't get a decent check, then I have no one to blame but myself. Isn't that how it should be?

There's extensive training, and I feel like FI helps me put the pedal to the metal with my career. I love the energy on each floor. My coworkers are awesome. Benefits are unmatched. I get all the support I need and ask for. Bottom line--this is your second home if you're a go-getter.

Cons

Technical issues can be resolved more efficiently to improve overall production. The desktops aren't the newest, which can be annoying if you're an impatient person.

If you don't like taking 100% accountability for your production and tend to shift the blame on anything/anyone but yourself, then this role is not for you.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Some new desktops would be nice, but it's not a necessity.

The more Kool-Aid you drink the happier you will be!

Former Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You know what your job is and they definitely know how to measure how you perform for the most part.

Cons

Management is young and managed from a place of fear.

3. Great company for anyone looking for work in the financial sector

Former Employee - Junior Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Junior Associate in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

Room for growth, high focus on teaching, open working environment.

Cons

Worked there part time for the Summer, so compensation was kind of low.

Client service associate

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time

Pros

Good benefits, unlimited partial PTO. The offices in camas are new and have views of the mountains. Young company with many college grads.

Cons

50 hour work weeks, high stress, low pay. Everything is micromanaged and slight errors will result in large consequences. No real opportunities for advancement or development.

Advice to Management

Let the CSAs transition to other roles sooner before they burn out and quit. The role is exhausting and not rewarding. There has to be more of a light at the end of the tunnel.

Interesting work, uniquely specific company culture

Former Intern - Intern in Camas, WA
    Former Intern - Intern in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The work and rotational program for interns was great, allowing everyone to learn a little bit of everything and acknowledging the lack of experience everyone had.

Cons

The strongest company culture I've ever encountered, but if you don't fit in to the young and loud persona, it's hard to enjoy your time there.

pros and cons for working at Fisher Investments in Camas.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

Great Benefits unequaled by most companies, no weekend work, potential to make over a 6 figure income. dynamic environment, continued learning is encouraged. the training staff works extra hard to make sure you succeed.

Cons

this job is not for everyone. Its a boiler room mentality, most positions are mandatory 50 hours a week with overtime, the stress and pressure levels are unparalleled in most businesses. the mentality of favoritism and politics is overwhelmingly present. The typical cut throat wall street mentality was brought to the camas office from transplanted employees. Management gives you lip service on making positive changes.

Advice to Management

Quit giving lip service and presenting an equal opportunity environment if you are not going to follow through and make it happen. This is a company with great potential and terrific work ethic. Make it happen.

Long hours, fantastic benefits, and expectation to conform and perform

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments

Pros

- Health benefits are second to none. Think big tech- fully paid insurance premiums, no deductible plans, etc.
    - Strong bonus structure.
    - Generous PTO for new employees (4 weeks) with holidays on top.
    - 401(k) match is huge, although vesting schedule could be improved (3yrs).
    - Lots of corporate growth and opportunity to advance at a very fast pace.

Cons

- Long hours. Standard for most roles are 7am - 5pm. Pay is based off 50hr work week. On the flip side however almost everyone leaves at right at 5pm.
    - Very young culture. Majority of employees are new college graduates. It is easy to feel old or out of place.
    - High expectations, but this is common at any big company.
    - Parking sucks.

Advice to Management

- Continue focus on employee development as company matures. Add tuition reimbursement program.
    - Improve transparency with other groups and better define department roles. With the rapid growth there are now many redundant teams that are all jockeying to come out on top. Stop the internal competition through better structure and then focus on the clients.
    - A cafeteria would be great for a company of this size.
    - Promote employee tenure and depth of experience.

Great training, horrible culture, terrible pay, decent benefits.

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

Training. The training and room for growth is phenomenal. Two weeks of intensive training, as well as an ongoing mentor. There is no lack of tenured employees willing to help.

Cons

The culture is horrible. It's a boy's club, sharky, and hard to get in with the "cool crowd." It's very hierarchical. You can tell who goes out with the boss on weekends while they talk about their Tinder matches. If you are senior, you don't mean anything to the boss. If you are a woman, good luck being taken seriously.
    THE PAY - seriously... $30k base in the Silicon Valley? They pay the same to the folks doing the same job in Camas, where that would be equivalent to about $50k here. No food, no drinks, no catered lunches. Catch up with the times... we are in the Bay Area, try to compete a little.

Advice to Management

Include everyone in your weekend debauchery or STOP talking about it at work. Stop letting top performers get away with having a horrible attitude and paying all of your attention to them. Understand that women are capable of success too. Don't let the guys talk about their weekend "conquests" off of Tinder and allow for more of a professional work environment.

Fisher and the no good, terrible, very bad firm

Current Employee - Account Executive in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are an account executive, the hours are a pro. If you are a single guy who likes to say inappropriate things about female co-workers, you will find many like minded people among the ranks. So you will make new friends there.

Cons

Managers are clueless and inept in all imaginable ways. Especially so in the account executive department. If they tell you that it is not a telemarketing job in the AE department, they are lying to you. It is that simple. You get a list of hundreds of people who, most likely mistakenly because they are typically old people, gave their contact information to fisher in order to get what they thought was some sort of investment information. You are then the annoying person to call them and try to solicit their business. Also, you are probably the 50th or 100th person from Fisher to call them, so they are really annoyed to be hearing from Fisher again. This is because we just recycle their phone number. You being the bottom of the barrel, will have the pleasure of calling them for the Nth time, and they will let you know on no uncertain terms how terrible Fisher Investments is. You should listen to them. Honestly, if you are halfway competent, it's not too hard to sell to these people. But you will feel slimy for doing it, because Fishers performance is honestly terrible. And their fees are so high, that the customer usually always is better off without them. They fill pass the kool-aid to you and try to convince you of the benefits they offer their clients. If you are able to think for yourself, you will see through it all as puffery and know that they are just like leeches. Got out of there as fast as I could. The place is a cult, and people who like to have an immature high-school type environment thrive there. If you are this type of person, you will find a home at FI. If you are mature and want your work environment to be equally so, stay away from this place like ebola.

Advice to Management

Good luck finding a new job management. I am sure you are looking too!

11. Not a fit for all markets

Former Employee - Business Development
    Former Employee - Business Development

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

*Knowledge of Ken Fisher and investment policy committee
    *base salary
    *bonus structure

Cons

*clients/prospects in the Southeast are not comfortable with the lack of physical presence (brick and mortar)
    *support is not as they make you think it will be
    *leadership, of the Private Client Group, is a bit pompous

Fisher Investments Photos