Fisher Investments

Updated December 19, 2014
3.2

Fisher Investments Founder, Chairman and CEO Ken Fisher
Ken Fisher

Pros
  • Work/Life balance: We are in finance, right (in 9 reviews)

• Learn a lot about sales, useful later on in different areas of employment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours without the corresponding raise in pay (in 9 reviews)

• You have learned to sell, yes, but you have learned to sell Fisher not money management (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Job, Excellent people (for the most part)

Current Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The money and benefits are excellent. It is a job, if you want to be paid well you have to follow the rules, be a team player and work your butt off. There is no easy way to get paid here or anywhere else. The firm looks for people that want to work hard and are loyal to their co-workers. If you can do that you will find a job here and do well... it might not be the first job you take here... you might take a year to find a place where you are happy... IF you stick it out you will make it and do well. I've been here over 5 years and everyone in my class is making excellent money and leading themselves or a team to a bright future.

Cons

Sometimes you have to adhere to leadership that doesn't match up with your own goals. You might have to take a knock for the team. The good part is that it isn't forgotten and is usually rewarded down the road.

Try hiring people that are not fresh out of school. The attitude of the 22 year-old hire that sees any firm without a yoga studio as a 'sad place to work' is hurting what excellent job that we do for our employees and clients. Anyone that has had a job anywhere else knows what a great place Fisher is to have a long career.

Pay's well - but your a telemarketer/sales person, period.

I have been working at Fisher Investments

Pros

Good pay. They do a good job training but its mainly just indoctrinating you on their methods, phone skills and how to prevent a termination call.

Cons

They do not tolerate any form of dissent from their ideology or methods. Drink the kool-aid or hit the road. Very frat like culture. Burn out - they assign you up to 175 clients. There are only a handful of people that have been in the job more than 2 years - you burn out and you can only kick the can down the road for so long (making excuses for underperformance or wrong forecasts, promising better returns next quarter etc.). Also you'll never build a book and just coast - you'll work all day everyday forever. They own the clients and they rotate them to different advisors so you don't develop to close a relationship.

Fisher is a well-oiled machine - upper management does a superb job running the company (generating profits). However this means employees are just part of the assembly line and highly replaceable.

Not bad, but there are better options.

Former Employee - Junior Associate
    Former Employee - Junior Associate

I worked at Fisher Investments part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice office space. Decent wage. The people you work with are friendly and include you in things pretty quickly.

Cons

Not the most inspiring atmosphere. Not a lot of energy compared to the other jobs I've worked. Seems to be a bit of fear in the atmosphere and not so much ambition.

Great Transitional Job - Intro to Finance Industry

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Transitioned from another career to FI. Great Training and support. Zero sum competition in Sales, makes everyone want to help others succeed. Attractive 1st year bonuses for Account Executives. Large potential income for 8hr work days. Tremendous opportunity for professional development and personal growth. Growth is not associated with comfort, thus management constantly changes the environment to keep challenging the team.

Cons

Peers are very green to professional environment. Managers are not fully trained on developing talent. Separating labor keeps staff in the dark of role/responsibility of other departments.

Require managers to pursue professional leadership courses/qualifications. Great workplace. FI is always finding ways to get better.

Cultish, unfriendly, and mostly dumb

Former Employee - Summer Investment Associate
    Former Employee - Summer Investment Associate

I worked at Fisher Investments as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Living in the bay area. I worked with an actual trader for a couple of days who was pretty much the only valuable employee I met during my time at FI. If you're in sales, you can probably make a lot of money. Working in Sales/Marketing might be good experience...

Cons

All but a handful of the employees I worked with were complete morons. They see Ken getting rich without actually adding any value and want in. The whole company is a sales and marketing con, which means working in any other part of the company (which is statistically unlikely--most of the company is salespeople) is a waste of time. Pay is fine, but it's not worth having to put up with the sort-of fratty cult-members that comprise the rest of the company. If you do take a job here, don't demonstrate anything but the most conventional background knowledge and definitely don't demonstrate individuality or think outside the box. Do demonstrate a sort of creepy admiration for Ken (and your immediate supervisor).

Wouldn't do any good anyway.

Better than many but not the best.

Current Employee - Investment Counselor in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people that work here are very nice and helpful, it's a much younger and vibrant workforce than many other financial firms. Good opportunity to get broad based understanding of capital markets. Pay is decent and benefits are pretty good. People that tend to move up the most are those that start here out of college and never leave. Those coming in with previous experience in financial industry may have a hard time fitting in here.

Cons

Too much micro mgmt. Expectations are constantly fluctuating as is mgmt. They claim to be a metrics based culture but if you really look at the numbers and watch who moves up in the firm, it is very clear it is a culture of favoritism. Loyalty is valued more than skill. It's the FI way or the highway. Many good things about process and philosophy, but they could benefit from looking outside the firm at ways to improve across the board.

Recognize that your smartest and brightest employees aren't the ones that go out of their way to befriend and talk to mgmt. Move people up that actually possess the skill and acumen needed to get the job done. Recognize the benefits of your employees backgrounds and make better use of them as the financial world is much bigger than FI and clients know this. UHNW clientele care about education and certifications even if FI doesn't.

meh

Current Employee - Investment Associate in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Investment Associate in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great benefits, great stepping stone for recent graduates.

Cons

if you want to make more money, gain advancement, and have a solid understanding of investing, you ought to work somewhere else to gain outside experience.

be open minded

Most people of a certain age and level of experience appreciate FI

Current Employee - Sales in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-VERY generous benefits package
    -Great compensation IF you are willing to put in the work
    -Upward mobility (.....again, if you work hard)

I've never understood most of the negative reviews on this site of Fisher. I've been here almost 8 years and worked at a few very large corporations prior to FI. My guess is 90% of the negative reviews on this site are from people hired right out of college or otherwise very young that weren't prepared for demanding work in a structured corporate setting. In the real world at a job that pays this well, a lot is expected of you. You should be prepared for that.

For any associate level position, if you can stay disciplined, professional, work hard, and not become an HR nightmare, you will be rewarded. Simply put. Fisher is metric based (to a fault in some cases) so much so that success does not go unrecognized. It is phenomenally rare that someone who shows up on time every day, stays positive and professional, and works hard would not get the recognition, respect, and compensation they deserve. For that reason, be weary of overly negative reviews - they are probably from someone who was bad at their job.

I definitely would (and have) recommended Fisher to several friends.

Cons

Fisher has all the cons of a large, developed, HR sensitive corporation. Having experience outside FI, I find you just get used to this, it comes with the territory. Yes, the company can be slower moving at times. Yes, you may not have the flexibility you thought you would have. Yes, there is red tape. Get used to it.

Keep up your access and visibility to the rest of the firm. In the other large companies I've worked for this was non-existent. Some people may say it's limited and senior management should be holding meetings with associates on a more regular basis. My guess is these people haven't worked at a big company before.

Fisher has been very good to me and all the 1900 global, talented, hard working, energetic, intelligent and team focused employees that surround me.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

13 years later, I continue to be motivated, challenged, educated and amazed by the flexibility, out of the box thinking and relentless pursuit to better the investment business Fisher prides ourselves on. Come see for yourself like I did.

Cons

Very few, but mostly there are some employees with less drive, excitement and understanding of how to build an awesome service for clients and company for all. But only a few.

Listen. Innovate and improve.

Excellent Culture, Excellent Pay, Excellent Company

Current Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with Fisher for 5 years (next week). I have never been happier with an employer and the opportunities that I've had here. There is a real drive to promote from within and compensate people that want to work hard to make the firm and the individual successful. I have been steadily growing my earnings every year, there is no limit to what I can do here. I plan to be here for years and the firm plans to keep me, excellent place to be.

Cons

There are improvements that could be made with communication from managers now that we are in different offices but all-in-all the level of help and advice I've received here is 200% better than any other place I've ever been. I think that some folks find internal-struggles here but they have likely never had a career before and don't realize how special of an environment we have.

Keep up the awesome work. I love being here and want to be here a long time.

Fisher Investments Photos