Fisher Investments Reviews

Updated April 10, 2015
252 reviews filtered by
Fisher Investments Founder, Chairman and CEO Ken Fisher
Ken Fisher

Pros
  • Work/Life balance: We are in finance, right (in 9 reviews)

• Learn a lot about sales, useful later on in different areas of employment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours without the corresponding raise in pay (in 9 reviews)

• You have learned to sell, yes, but you have learned to sell Fisher not money management (in 9 reviews)

A fine company with high standards if you're willing to work

Current Employee - Regional Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Associate

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Probably the best managed firm in the investment industry. Management maintains extremely high standards. Compensation is fair. Employees are evaluated based on performance. Many opportunities for moving into positions of more authority and responsibility if that's what you want. Generous benefits.

Cons

No place for slackers. You won't find ping pong or video games, no free lunches, people have to show up on time and work hard.

Great place to have a long career

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent company for building a career. Growing business with growing career and earnings opportunities. Love that performance is the key for advancement.

Cons

Expect to work hard. People looking for a short work week or who want a raise without doing the work should look elsewhere.

Great place, solid career launch pad

Current Employee - Investment Associate in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Investment Associate in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to start a finance career, as the hours aren't as long as ibanking. Some roles are more operational, however if you're a top performer, you will get recognized and promoted quickly.

Cons

Fisher doesn't hire the best and brightest, as its entry level isn't as glamorous or high paying. Expect some mediocrity around you.

Advice to Management

Hire more external talent occasionally to bring in fresh insight, professionalism, and experience.

5. In for the long term

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with Fisher over 15 years. Started in CA, now in WA. I came to Fisher because of its investment approach and focus on client service. I have worked for large financial institutions and private firms that were eventually sold or now out of business. In did not see myself having a life long career at these firms - I do at Fisher. I like the fact that Fisher is privately owned with no plans of going public. The firm controls its own destiny.

Another huge reason i chose Fisher was growth. The company was very small when i started versus today. Growth over the last decade has been tremendous which means lots of opportunities for current and future employees. The firm is also expanding outside the US. Of course more opportunities which makes it a great place to launch a career if someone is fresh out of school or transition to if you've been in the industry.

We continue to innovate and test in order to better the investment universe - always looking out for our client best interests. Having been in the industry over 20 years this is not the motivation of most firms. The industry is full of products that are sold not needed by clients, high commissions, fees, with little to help them achieve their financial goals. I believe most people are better off with Fisher than their current adviser or self managing their portfolios.

Probably one of the most under appreciated things about the firm are its benefits; unparallelled 401K plan, healthcare, dental, vision, and other perks! Things that most people have to pay for at other firms that we don't. People must factor this into their total compensation. Having the option to relocate from CA was huge improvement to quality of life for my family and I have no regrets leaving. With the money saved from no WA income tax, lower cost of living, we go back to visit CA, travel whenever we like. More pros than cons for me...I'm in for the long term.

Cons

What i like about the firm is also a challenge, growth. Change everywhere, new employees, polices, procedures, multiple offices/countries, effective communication, and ensuring we are all contributing positively to achieve the firm goals.

Advice to Management

Over the coming years leadership and talent management will be key to firms continued success.

Great Transitional Job - Intro to Finance Industry

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Transitioned from another career to FI. Great Training and support. Zero sum competition in Sales, makes everyone want to help others succeed. Attractive 1st year bonuses for Account Executives. Large potential income for 8hr work days. Tremendous opportunity for professional development and personal growth. Growth is not associated with comfort, thus management constantly changes the environment to keep challenging the team.

Cons

Peers are very green to professional environment. Managers are not fully trained on developing talent. Separating labor keeps staff in the dark of role/responsibility of other departments.

Advice to Management

Require managers to pursue professional leadership courses/qualifications. Great workplace. FI is always finding ways to get better.

7. Account Executive - Excellent Entry level position

Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A great bunch of people there. There is very few opportunities in the city that offer you this kind of opportunity in terms of earnings.

Looking at £50k 1st year £65k year 2 100k year 3. It's hard but it's possible

Cons

No support in career progression. Lots of opportunities in the firm but none of the positions are really transferable to other firms.

Great place to start especially if you want to earn a lot straight away.

Fisher has been very good to me and all the 1900 global, talented, hard working, energetic, intelligent and team focused employees that surround me.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

13 years later, I continue to be motivated, challenged, educated and amazed by the flexibility, out of the box thinking and relentless pursuit to better the investment business Fisher prides ourselves on. Come see for yourself like I did.

Cons

Very few, but mostly there are some employees with less drive, excitement and understanding of how to build an awesome service for clients and company for all. But only a few.

Advice to Management

Listen. Innovate and improve.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Unlimited commissions! People who work hard can get paid six figures within their first year. Management rewards work ethic and people that are willing to learn.

Cons

Management is sometimes set on their ways... difficult to change the culture of the environment.

Advice to Management

I would like to see management be more open-minded to some of the more tenured AE's ideas. They've been doing the role for a long time and understand the other AE's thoughts and concerns.

10. True Meritocracy

Current Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work, plenty of growth opportunities, positive and challenging environment that fuels personal development.

Cons

None, unless you don't want to be the best, then you'll probably be frustrated and think that everyone is overly competitive.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication lines open with your workers. Do your best to continue fostering a great culture and giving top performers opportunities to grow within the firm.

Most people of a certain age and level of experience appreciate FI

Current Employee - Sales in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Sales in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-VERY generous benefits package
    -Great compensation IF you are willing to put in the work
    -Upward mobility (.....again, if you work hard)

I've never understood most of the negative reviews on this site of Fisher. I've been here almost 8 years and worked at a few very large corporations prior to FI. My guess is 90% of the negative reviews on this site are from people hired right out of college or otherwise very young that weren't prepared for demanding work in a structured corporate setting. In the real world at a job that pays this well, a lot is expected of you. You should be prepared for that.

For any associate level position, if you can stay disciplined, professional, work hard, and not become an HR nightmare, you will be rewarded. Simply put. Fisher is metric based (to a fault in some cases) so much so that success does not go unrecognized. It is phenomenally rare that someone who shows up on time every day, stays positive and professional, and works hard would not get the recognition, respect, and compensation they deserve. For that reason, be weary of overly negative reviews - they are probably from someone who was bad at their job.

I definitely would (and have) recommended Fisher to several friends.

Cons

Fisher has all the cons of a large, developed, HR sensitive corporation. Having experience outside FI, I find you just get used to this, it comes with the territory. Yes, the company can be slower moving at times. Yes, you may not have the flexibility you thought you would have. Yes, there is red tape. Get used to it.

Advice to Management

Keep up your access and visibility to the rest of the firm. In the other large companies I've worked for this was non-existent. Some people may say it's limited and senior management should be holding meetings with associates on a more regular basis. My guess is these people haven't worked at a big company before.

Fisher Investments Photos