Fisher Investments

Fisher Investments Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

Fisher Investments Founder, Chairman and CEO Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

Pros
  • Learn a lot about sales, useful later on in different areas of employment(in 8 reviews)

• My experience is that Fisher Investments has very competitive pay and benefits if not better to other money management type of companies(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees who aren't interested in money management or a competitive workplace may burn out(in 8 reviews)

• Weak middle management; weaker senior management(in 8 reviews)

It pays to be liked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent pay considering you can learn everything you need to know internally. Weekends off, some paid holidays, and free benefits. You will learn a lot about the stack market if you are interested and if you're not interested that's ok too, but those interested seem to be the most successful.

ConsYou will not get promoted if your manager doesn't recommend you. The sad part is the reasons don't need to be based on merits which is the companies claim to fame! You will see those less qualified get promoted before you based on likability.

Good company

ProsCompensation was good, especially starting out after college. Learn the ins and out of investment management. Great sales training.

ConsBasically cold calling people every day, which can lead to frustration and burning out. Would like better opportunities for upward movement withing the company.

Great place to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Camas, WA

ProsThe pay straight out of college is very competitive for the area. If you are willing to work hard, you get a lot of experience very quickly, and there is a lot of opportunity to try different jobs in different areas of the company. Some of the managers are really great, and I know right now they're putting a lot of effort into revamping training throughout the firm.

ConsThey've been going through some growing pains in the last few years. They expanded very quickly, and are still trying to figure out how to catch up with the additional needs of a bigger company. This means a lot of trial and error in terms of both new positions and entirely new departments. While it can be exciting, it can also be unsettling and just plain frustrating when they get it wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication between departments, and more cross training to help employees understand how their job fits into the big picture and affects other teams. Most of the problems between departments come down, essentially, to a simple lack of understanding.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to start a career, but then need to move on

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompetitive culture - good probability of making some great money and upward mobility. Great place to build a network that can/will be helpful down the road.

ConsThe cultue is lack luster - not for the faint of heart, you need think skin to survive

Dehumanizing corporation-Individuals are without hesitation- completely irreplaceable.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNon- authority colleagues are fantastic. Benefits and increased PTO/Sick time for all employees is a major plus.

ConsYou are continuously a robot working for a machine- no matter what position you uphold. All employees are held to a fear based driven sense of moral.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the majority of the "old school" management style but make an effort to modernize it to our current decade. Treat your employees as people not seat numbers.

Decent place to work

Investment Associate (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsBenefits are outstanding. Great people and atmosphere. Senior mgmt. are available and proactive.

ConsPay is mediocre for the industry. Pay disparity between tenured employees and new hires is atrocious. Feels like an assembly line at times.

Miserable and Micromanaged

Account Executive (Former Employee) Camas, WA

ProsDecent salary and bonus structure. Young environment, most people are well under 30.

ConsThey lure you in by not offering much information about position. You will learn no marketable skills, and work with people who all hate their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say make an effort to keep people around, but I think that is against the business model.

Downhill since 2008

Corporate Recruiter/Sales (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsI started at Fisher in 2004 and loved it until 2008. Stayed til 2011 in hopes of it getting better, which it never did. It went downhill... fast.

- 401k match was good
    - pay was decent for entry level
    - they take entry level folks without finance backgrounds, great for building "business accumen"... but that's about it.

Cons- culture of absolute FEAR.
    - TL (team leader) level has NO management capabilities, all of them are 20-something year olds in suits.
    - GVP (group vice pres.) not much better, skill wise. They're all just a part of the "bro club"
    - 50 hour weeks, built into a "salary"... if you do not work 50 hours/week, you will not get that salary you signed for on your offer
    - you become a jack of all trades, an expert at NONE
    - limited mobility outside of the company (see previous note)
    - good luck taking PTO...
    - did not treat employees like adults, but rather like children
    - lots of "because i said so" reasoning behind things

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Recognize them for the good work they're doing. Allow them to build a CAREER, not to run your factory of employees. Company culture needs MAJOR help. Realize that your employees have made you successful.

Stable, Good People, Not Exciting

Investment Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe company is truly interested in hiring good people and developing them to grow within the company. Pay is decent, benefits are very very good.

ConsStale work environment, over specialization of work makes many days extremely repetitive.

I love my job

Analyst (Current Employee) Camas, WA

ProsIn my role at the firm, I'm learning a lot. I was hired in without a lot of technical skill, and my boss has given me time to explore and fail.

ConsMy role as an analyst is different from many other roles at the firm. The pay is good, but certain jobs like being a CSA do not sound appealing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe mindful of the stress level of your employees.

Worked for Fisher Investments? Contribute to the Community!