Fisher Investments

Updated September 26, 2014
3.1

Fisher Investments Founder, Chairman and CEO Ken Fisher
Ken Fisher

Pros
  • I am married with 3 kids under the age of 10 and manage to strike a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Learn a lot about sales, useful later on in different areas of employment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours without the corresponding raise in pay (in 8 reviews)

• Employees who aren't interested in money management or a competitive workplace may burn out (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start your career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay straight out of college is very competitive for the area. If you are willing to work hard, you get a lot of experience very quickly, and there is a lot of opportunity to try different jobs in different areas of the company. Some of the managers are really great, and I know right now they're putting a lot of effort into revamping training throughout the firm.

Cons

They've been going through some growing pains in the last few years. They expanded very quickly, and are still trying to figure out how to catch up with the additional needs of a bigger company. This means a lot of trial and error in terms of both new positions and entirely new departments. While it can be exciting, it can also be unsettling and just plain frustrating when they get it wrong.

Better communication between departments, and more cross training to help employees understand how their job fits into the big picture and affects other teams. Most of the problems between departments come down, essentially, to a simple lack of understanding.

Robotic, script readers required

Former Employee - Investment Counselor  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good 401k match and plenty of great colleagues who are still friends. Good life balance ok as hours worked are very regimented and controlled. Great business model for gathering assets under management.

Cons

Septic culture of rampant nepotism and tenure based management with no outside experience, who are paid to follow directions and ask no questions. Prior/outside experience is considered worthless, as are graduate degrees and industry relevant designations. If you have these you are considered a threat to the Fisher groupthink. Very limited upside potential and very repetitive daily tasks. Tight, suspicious, untrusting control of all things by management.

Not worth writing much here as they never showed any propensity to listen or any empathy for employees. This is one of the reasons for the poisonous work environment.

A great place to start a career, but then need to move on

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive culture - good probability of making some great money and upward mobility. Great place to build a network that can/will be helpful down the road.

Cons

The cultue is lack luster - not for the faint of heart, you need think skin to survive

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dehumanizing corporation-Individuals are without hesitation- completely irreplaceable.

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time

Pros

Non- authority colleagues are fantastic. Benefits and increased PTO/Sick time for all employees is a major plus.

Cons

You are continuously a robot working for a machine- no matter what position you uphold. All employees are held to a fear based driven sense of moral.

Keep the majority of the "old school" management style but make an effort to modernize it to our current decade. Treat your employees as people not seat numbers.

Decent place to work

Current Employee - Investment Associate  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Investment Associate in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits are outstanding. Great people and atmosphere. Senior mgmt. are available and proactive.

Cons

Pay is mediocre for the industry. Pay disparity between tenured employees and new hires is atrocious. Feels like an assembly line at times.

Miserable and Micromanaged

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent salary and bonus structure. Young environment, most people are well under 30.

Cons

They lure you in by not offering much information about position. You will learn no marketable skills, and work with people who all hate their jobs.

I would say make an effort to keep people around, but I think that is against the business model.

I love my job

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time

Pros

In my role at the firm, I'm learning a lot. I was hired in without a lot of technical skill, and my boss has given me time to explore and fail.

Cons

My role as an analyst is different from many other roles at the firm. The pay is good, but certain jobs like being a CSA do not sound appealing.

Be mindful of the stress level of your employees.

Stable, Good People, Not Exciting

Current Employee - Investment Associate
    Current Employee - Investment Associate

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time

Pros

The company is truly interested in hiring good people and developing them to grow within the company. Pay is decent, benefits are very very good.

Cons

Stale work environment, over specialization of work makes many days extremely repetitive.

Downhill since 2008

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter/Sales  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter/Sales in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I started at Fisher in 2004 and loved it until 2008. Stayed til 2011 in hopes of it getting better, which it never did. It went downhill... fast.

- 401k match was good
    - pay was decent for entry level
    - they take entry level folks without finance backgrounds, great for building "business accumen"... but that's about it.

Cons

- culture of absolute FEAR.
    - TL (team leader) level has NO management capabilities, all of them are 20-something year olds in suits.
    - GVP (group vice pres.) not much better, skill wise. They're all just a part of the "bro club"
    - 50 hour weeks, built into a "salary"... if you do not work 50 hours/week, you will not get that salary you signed for on your offer
    - you become a jack of all trades, an expert at NONE
    - limited mobility outside of the company (see previous note)
    - good luck taking PTO...
    - did not treat employees like adults, but rather like children
    - lots of "because i said so" reasoning behind things

Listen to your employees. Recognize them for the good work they're doing. Allow them to build a CAREER, not to run your factory of employees. Company culture needs MAJOR help. Realize that your employees have made you successful.

Fast paced, merit based, and good work/life balance

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Woodside, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Woodside, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Excellent training and support in a fast paced environment.
    - Positive camaraderie among senior management.
    - Good environment for people who are critical thinkers and believe in improving the process.
    - Better than average compensation (prob 90% percentile) and excellent benefits.

Cons

- Limited work hours, sometimes it could be good to work longer hours to stay ahead.
    - Corporate offices are located 25 miles south of San Francisco, would be nice if they opened one in San Francisco.

Fisher Investments Photos

Worked for Fisher Investments? Contribute to the Community!