Fisher Investments

Updated December 19, 2014
3.2

Fisher Investments Founder, Chairman and CEO Ken Fisher
Ken Fisher

Pros
  • Work/Life balance: We are in finance, right (in 9 reviews)

• Learn a lot about sales, useful later on in different areas of employment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours without the corresponding raise in pay (in 9 reviews)

• You have learned to sell, yes, but you have learned to sell Fisher not money management (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

114 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent Job, Excellent people (for the most part)

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The money and benefits are excellent. It is a job, if you want to be paid well you have to follow the rules, be a team player and work your butt off. There is no easy way to get paid here or anywhere else. The firm looks for people that want to work hard and are loyal to their co-workers. If you can do that you will find a job here and do well... it might not be the first job you take here... you might take a year to find a place where you are happy... IF you stick it out you will make it and do well. I've been here over 5 years and everyone in my class is making excellent money and leading themselves or a team to a bright future.

Cons

Sometimes you have to adhere to leadership that doesn't match up with your own goals. You might have to take a knock for the team. The good part is that it isn't forgotten and is usually rewarded down the road.

Try hiring people that are not fresh out of school. The attitude of the 22 year-old hire that sees any firm without a yoga studio as a 'sad place to work' is hurting what excellent job that we do for our employees and clients. Anyone that has had a job anywhere else knows what a great place Fisher is to have a long career.

Excellent Culture, Excellent Pay, Excellent Company

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with Fisher for 5 years (next week). I have never been happier with an employer and the opportunities that I've had here. There is a real drive to promote from within and compensate people that want to work hard to make the firm and the individual successful. I have been steadily growing my earnings every year, there is no limit to what I can do here. I plan to be here for years and the firm plans to keep me, excellent place to be.

Cons

There are improvements that could be made with communication from managers now that we are in different offices but all-in-all the level of help and advice I've received here is 200% better than any other place I've ever been. I think that some folks find internal-struggles here but they have likely never had a career before and don't realize how special of an environment we have.

Keep up the awesome work. I love being here and want to be here a long time.

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unlimited commissions! People who work hard can get paid six figures within their first year. Management rewards work ethic and people that are willing to learn.

Cons

Management is sometimes set on their ways... difficult to change the culture of the environment.

I would like to see management be more open-minded to some of the more tenured AE's ideas. They've been doing the role for a long time and understand the other AE's thoughts and concerns.

True Meritocracy

Current Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work, plenty of growth opportunities, positive and challenging environment that fuels personal development.

Cons

None, unless you don't want to be the best, then you'll probably be frustrated and think that everyone is overly competitive.

Keep the communication lines open with your workers. Do your best to continue fostering a great culture and giving top performers opportunities to grow within the firm.

Hard work pays off

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Fisher Investments for almost 8 years, and I have held different roles at the firm, working with almost all departments at the firm, in one way or another. One thing I can tell you from experience, is that if you are willing to work hard, be open minded, do well with constructive criticism, (i.e., you WANT to get better), and you want to personally succeed; you will have a bright future here. Now, on to some of the "Pros":

-Excellent Benefits package (the healthcare benefits and 401k are top notch here!)
    -Meritocracy: You are rewarded for doing a good job, and adding value to the company is recognized and rewarded
    -Promote from within: FI likes to hire from within, and rewards people who have done a good job in their current role
    -Work/Life balance: We are in finance, right? Instead of working 70-80 hour weeks, most work under 50 hours total, we get weekends off, and the firm encourages time to "recharge" and use our PTO days.
    -Management is always available: No corner offices means that your boss (or your bosses boss) is just a quick walk over if you want to chat
    -Environment: FI attracts great talent. Not only are there amazingly talented people at the firm, the PEOPLE are mostly fun, and great to work with.

Cons

-FI is very "by the book" meaning internal changes sometimes take a while. However, I have learned that patience pays off.

Keep doing the in-person Senior Management talks with employees, as this resonates with us and provides insight into what we are doing, and where we are going.

Very flexible and good to employees - Room to grow

Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for new and long term employees to move into different departments. Hard work and success allows you to run small teams and ability to manage larger groups if you desire. Incredible training programs if you decide to move throughout the firm. Fantastic benefits with solid 401k plan. Compensation is great for longer term employees and good for newer employees. The firm messaging is usually very clear and direct. Managers are approachable and will get you answers if they can't tell you on the spot. Camas location is new well designed and comfortable.

Cons

San Mateo location older but still ok. Longer hours but this is normal at Fisher or at Intel. They offer different hours for most departments if requested. Some departments are quiet and lower energy and some higher energy make sure to find your home and you will do well and excel. This industry in general is long hours and this company demands quality work and it can be hard on those with thin skin.

Fisher Investments does a great job for clients and is clear they come first. Having the senior members stop in and say hello to long time employees or new employees this goes a long way. Summer and winter BBQ social lunch one or two times a year would be nice to meet other people in other departments.

Investment Counselor

Former Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay. Your pay will increase once every market cycle. This will happen for the whole group that you are within. The firm age discriminates and will not hire people who are more than 10 years out of college.

Cons

Intense work overview. No work life balance. You will work 50 hours a week every week. Frequently you will be brought into a fishbowl to be scolded for human error. The environment is more like a bee hive than a professional work environment.

Increase the professionalism and education amongst the employees and hire people who know what they are talking about vs. only having theoretical knowledge.

Fisher Investments Response

Nov 5, 2014VP of Content Management

This review is nonsense. The poster, who has the luxury of never identifying him or herself, makes the claim that Fisher “age discriminates and will not hire people who are more than 10 years out of ... More

Decent company but behind the times for perks

Current Employee - Analyst in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to start a career, but it will be difficult for you to increase your earning potential to comparable rates within the Bay Area, there are just too many employees and the company is pretty cheap overall. If you are willing to work/live in Washington, the salary will be reduced compared to what it is in the Bay, but you will most likely have more opportunities to advance to Management positions if you stand out.

The people are really what make this place a nice place to work. Considering how much time you see them, you really develop good relationships with most of your coworkers over time.

Cons

There is no work-life balance, and that's not going to change. Working 7am-5pm at a minimum, then other times it could be a 12 hour workday. Add in the 1 hour commute each way out of SF and you are giving up a lot of your time to work.

The company specializes so many departments that you really only develop a particular skill set unless you rotate frequently. This can potentially make it difficult if you ever decide to leave the firm and look for work elsewhere in the Bay - you are at a disadvantage in some (not all) aspects/skills compared to others who are more well-rounded.

The perks and benefits are mediocre. 401k matching is very nice, but 20 days max vacation time for any tenure employee is a joke. They just don't value life outside of work, you are expected to devote a lot of time to this place.

I know it's not a priority, but more focus on work-life balance and other perks like work from home, could go a long ways in making this a more attractive place to stay. When you treat your employees like children it gets hard to want to stay for the long run.

Do Not Stunt Your Career

Former Employee - Client Service Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

401K Benefits and Health Plan are good

Cons

1. Horrendous Culture. Leadership views employees like robots, not actual people who have emotions that need a sense of purpose and motivation. The culture is one of toughness, competitiveness, and machismo like some sort of frat house. Those that cannot tolerate this type of environment should not apply. Many people lack common courtesy and are unapproachable. All instruction comes from the top and there is very little input or collaboration with lower level employees.

2. Do employees really believe in the product that Fisher is selling? Compare the Fisher portfolio to it's primary benchmark over any length of time and you will see that it has underperformed dramatically. Yet we see the marketing machine in full effect on the web promoting Fisher books and wealth management to the unsuspecting and uninformed clientele. Is this a service that you would recommend to your friends and family? No.

3. Look at the alternatives. Within the Bay Area there are hundreds of companies who collectively have helped create the greatest economic and technological growth in the history of mankind. These public companies (who by the way are accountable to a board of directors and shareholders) will bend over backwards to keep their employees happy. Why? Because they know good people are a scarce resource and they know they will have to invest a lot of training, time, and money into developing them. This is not the case at Fisher where employees are disposable. The job sites are full of Fisher ads because of high turnover. They can get away with high turnover because they invest so little into each employee.

Employees in the Bay Area live in an area of the greatest economic and technological growth in the history of mankind, yet they choose to work at Fisher. It's like being next to the greatest chefs in the world and deciding to eat at Mcdonalds.

No, the grass isn't always greener, but in this case based on personal experience, not only is it greener, it is quite lush.

Not much can be done until Fisher is no longer CEO which will probably be a while.

Great Job - Expect to work hard

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-You will make more than enough money and benefits to support yourself and even a dependent or two.
    -There is a lot of opportunity to move around to other rolls (although typically after a bare minimum of a year in your current roll)
    -They make a good faith effort to listen to employees and are taking strides to improve retention.
    -PCRA account for the 401k that allows you to pick individual stocks, ETFs, ect.

Cons

-Many promotions require moving to Washington State (close to Portland OR)
    -Many associate positions can be repetitive.
    -Much of the software is very outdated and employees end up using hacks that cause problems in other areas down the road
    -As in any financial job there will restriction placed on how you and your family (who live in the same house as yourself) trade securities

My experience with management has been a positive one. They will tell you exactly what you are signing up for when you come to Fisher.

Ken Fisher is very good at what he does. He still takes an active roll in many aspects of the firms management.
    I have referred many friends to Fisher a few of which made it through the hiring process.

Fisher Investments Photos