Fisher Investments

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Fisher Investments Founder, Chairman and CEO Ken Fisher

Ken Fisher

99 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fast paced, merit based, and good work/life balance

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee)
Woodside, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Excellent training and support in a fast paced environment.
- Positive camaraderie among senior management.
- Good environment for people who are critical thinkers and believe in improving the process.
- Better than average compensation (prob 90% percentile) and excellent benefits.

Cons- Limited work hours, sometimes it could be good to work longer hours to stay ahead.
- Corporate offices are located 25 miles south of San Francisco, would be nice if they opened one in San Francisco.

Horrible Management

Client Service Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat colleagues. I have made friends that I will keep in touch with once I quit. They have good benefits and salary is good for a first job out of college. Also you do not have to work more than 10 hours in the day. Partial PTO does not count against your PTO hours.

ConsManagement is horrible. The managers have no training and it shows. The company culture is based off of fear and they do not value the work that the employees put in. There are also no team building activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more training for the managers and team building activities.

It was fine

Client Services Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for less than a year

ProsGood work life balance. 10 hour days but no nights/weekends. Pay was good for what I was doing.

ConsPeople drink the juice and convince themselves that highlighting and tagging forms is a great use of their skills.

Ignore previous comments, Fisher provides good work

Investment Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAnyone who has commented complaining about the company or stating its problems has clearly never worked in this field. Hours are great, salary is good to start and has huge potential as you advance up the company. It is a big investment company and it runs with the necessary divisions to make it work. No BS but that is how theyve been so successful

ConsMore family orientated benefits, flex hours, parking is difficult, and responsibility could spread between departments

Prison

Finance (Former Employee)
Woodside, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for less than a year

ProsAbsolutely nothing. Waste of time.

ConsEverything. The Woodside location is a joke. If you manage to make it to work without dying or crashing then you have to look for to 10 hours on mundane work that is micromanaged. Trained monkeys are able to do what the Finance people do. Terrible supervisors and managers or EVP or GVP...whatever they are called in the Finance group. You gain no relative experience that you can take away from working here because this is a terribly run company. I guess because I use my brain and don't work as a robot I saw through this joke of a company within weeks. Apparently there are many who enjoy drinking the kool-aid and sucking off the teets of Fisher.

Miserable place

Investment Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits: 401k matching, good health, vision, and dental benefits (no additional perks though)
Co-workers: Many people here are are genuinely nice to work with
Workday: No work on weekends

ConsBelieve the stories.
I thought these reviews were ridiculously far-fetched when I interviewed, only to find, to my horror, that they are all true.

Culture: This firm does not care about its employees. Fisher condones and supports hostile behavior. I have witnessed and experienced obscenities, degradation, backstabbing, finger-pointing, and threats directed toward me and my coworkers. Management will not defend you, they will tell you it's your fault. Fisher is built on a web of lies and secrecy. Everything you do is policed by your manager and other departments. For associates, tenured advisers or sales people will report you to your manager for a scolding if they are even the slightest bit displeased with your work. You will be treated like a child, they will demand you to perform and work over capacity without any extra compensation. When you leave, Fisher will not provide any recommendations. So no matter how well you did, they won't say squat about you if you pursue roles elsewhere.

Hours: 50+ hour weeks, which is not too bad, but there is no flexibility. You will need to request PTO from your manager to take off 30 minutes early to make a doctors appointment. Hours are also very early (7AM-5PM, 6:30AM-4:30PM, 5:30AM-3:30PM). You will also often not have enough time to take lunch, this is frowned upon as those who take lunch are considered to have no "will-do" attitude.

PTO: There is not enough. 15 days PTO includes both holidays, sick days, personal days, everything. If you run out of PTO and are sick, you will not be paid. Expect to work through holidays (Christmas Eve, Black Friday, New Years Eve, etc...)

Work: If you were sold as an "Investment Associate" like me, you will be shocked to find that your work will consist of creating paperwork, filing paperwork, and calling clients about paperwork. It's more customer service representative than any type of investment role. This is not a true finance firm, there is no "prestige" in working here as another (corporate-sponsored) "reviewer" claimed. No one on Wall Street has ever heard of Fisher Investments. As a college-graduate, I am embarrassed to speak about my work with friends, as it is extremely menial and unrewarding. Depending on who you're working with, forgetting a middle initial on one form can get you a conversation the GVP. The stress level for some associate groups are also very high. You will be asked to churn out more than you can handle. Some managers are terrible, stealing credit for your work, lying to you for their gain, throwing you under the bus so they can look better to upper management.

Fisher=Misery

Advice to Senior ManagementStop doing all this to your employees. It's terrible.

A grind, but a good opportunity

Junior Associate (Former Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments part-time for more than a year

ProsJob security, merit based rewards, easy enough to understand and thrive in if you're a hard worker. People are generally nice and have a variety of backgrounds.

ConsRigid policies and a big brother like atmosphere. Some employees forced to find limited street parking. Nitpicky culture where your every move is monitored and analyzed by BI.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times and improve your software, hardware, and parking situation. Loosen the strictness on hours and give employees more freedom to bring forth ideas.

Fisher IT

IT Staff (Former Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for more than a year

ProsSlower pace than other companies in the SF Bay Area (depending on your personality it can be a negative)
Competitive salary + bonus
Certain sense of stability

ConsLack of trust - you can spend several months on the jobs without having the necessary access and tools until they trust you
Micro-management
Favoritism - A handful of individuals whose opinions management listens to.
Finger-pointing

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate and trust people. Make them accountable without micro-managing.

Cultish, unreasonable, neurotic

Summer Investment Associate (Former Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments as an intern for less than a year

Proslocation
money is decent for the hours they ask
some of the people they have are pretty cool (possibly by virtue of its being in Nor-Cal

ConsManagement (and even lower) is rather cultish--Ken is just a man, not God, guys...
Advocates of EMH without full comprehension of what that means,
Fully staffed sales force without much structure once a client is on-board leads to poor existing client experience
Can't take reasonable disagreement with KF's financial forecasts (even though they're often wrong).

Advice to Senior ManagementChill out; think for yourself.

Ok at best

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time for more than a year

Prosgood pay for a starter and good looking girls.

Consthey say they promote based on merit but thats bull shitsu. A lot of favoritism and lots of employees that lack character.

Advice to Senior Managementthink outside the box

Worked for Fisher Investments? Contribute to the Community!

Fisher Investments Videos

Fisher Investments – Why Work for Us?

Fisher Investments is not your typical financial services company. We consider ourselves industry pioneers and pride ourselves in our specialized business model and innovative approach. We believe this creates value for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fisher Investments reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fisher Investments CEO Ken Fisher. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by Fisher Investments employees.