Fisher Investments Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Fisher Investments Founder, Chairman and CEO Ken Fisher
Ken Fisher

Pros
  • Work/Life balance: We are in finance, right (in 9 reviews)

• Learn a lot about sales, useful later on in different areas of employment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • This industry in general is long hours and this company demands quality work and it can be hard on those with thin skin (in 9 reviews)

• You have learned to sell, yes, but you have learned to sell Fisher not money management (in 9 reviews)

1. Great opportunities for those that are willing to work for it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time

Pros

Here are my Top 3 reasons for working at Fisher Investments: 1) Amazing benefits! Seriously, Fisher offers some of the most competitive benefits I've ever seen. The company pays all of your premiums, plus offers a 50% 401(k) match. 2) As mentioned in my title, Fisher offers growth and opportunity for those that are willing to work for it. To earn your place, you have to be willing to put in long hours and demonstrate loyalty. 3) You get to work with very smart, competitive people. The environment incentivizes both personal and professional growth.

Every company has their faults and Fisher is not absent of them. They are not your Bay Area start up so don't expect catered lunches and game-filled break rooms. However, they provide great training, a really competitive salary, and the opportunity to work amongst very driven people. They have high expectations of their employees so be prepared to demonstrate what you're made of. If you're the type of individual that likes to skate by or expects the world handed to you, don't bother. I actually appreciate their old school work ethic and wouldn't be where I'm at today without the structure they've provided THANK YOU FI!

Cons

They have plenty but I'm not going to dwell on them here. If you've ever worked for another employer, you know that every company has issues. I've found that Fisher's issues are worth putting up with for the sake of my career.

Advice to Management

1) Put more focus on your CA offices and employees. 2) Stop being so reactive. It only incites panic and fear amongst your employees. 3) Reconsider your opinion on work life balance. Although Ken thinks the concept is crap, your employees don't.

Marketing

Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

More responsibility than you can get anywhere else given your experience.

Cons

Uneven quality of management and senior management. 1 out of 5 is competent...you are lucky if you get the 1.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to why people are leaving specific departments to identify possible issues to be addressed.

I wish I listened to the reviews before accepting the offer

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits. They have AMAZING benefits.

Cons

Where do I even begin. From my experience. everything was awful besides the benefits they had. 30k base pay is really low. Most AE positions starts at least at 40k in the Bay Area. You really have to enjoy sales in order to succeed. The environment was not healthy for me. I felt very uncomfortable at work and dreaded work every morning.

People are very eager to help if they're having a good day. After they get a set or two, then they'll be more than happy to give you advice etc. But if they're not having a good day, they will just give you an hour lecture about irrelevant topics. Unfortunately, it's more common to have bad days than good.

There are obvious favorites at the office. They always talk about what they did over the weekend together and how drunk they got together. Very unprofessional. It's great that they developed a friends but it's not very considerate for them to talk about what they did outside of the office when they don't invite everyone. It's quite discouraging actually.

Advice to Management

Please be more professional when you're in the office. People don't care which bars you went to over the weekend or how well you golfed that weekend. It would be great if they organized events like that where everyone's invited to.

Metric-based, bureaucratic environment with LOTS of Kool-Aid drinking

Former Employee - Investment Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Associate in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- If first job out of college, could be a good place to learn "basic professional skills"
    - The more Kool-Aid you drink, the better you're viewed at the firm
    - Benefits are fabulous and extremely rich (with little out of pocket payment)
    - 401K match is generous (50%), but need to stay 3 years to fully vest

Cons

- Management is young and inexperienced; provides little guidance. Really isn't their fault since it all starts up top at the CEO level, then trickles down slowly
    - Tons of politics
    - Fear driven environment, always looking over shoulder
    - Raises are few & far between, really depends on how firm is doing

Advice to Management

Although not your fault, understand where your associates are coming from and don't be so quick to point fingers. More often than not, NOT pointing fingers is the best way to solve things.

Look Elsewhere

Former Employee - Regional Sales Associate in Woodside, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Associate in Woodside, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is easy to get a job at FI. They have an extremely high turnover rate, so they're always looking for more inexperienced employees. They try and recruit recent college graduates that might not know what they want to do with the rest of their life. They’re able to offer full-time jobs before graduation and broke college students should and will jump at that opportunity. FI also has an extremely structured culture. If you like process and hate change, this would be a place you’d love to work.

Cons

I started at FI a week after graduation and loved it. Quickly, I realized that the 10-hour days (that often turned into 12 or 13) didn’t allow for any sort of life outside of work. I wanted nothing more than to succeed so I often skipped meals and bathroom breaks just so I could get more work done. I was given raises and bonuses, but now after leaving FI and working elsewhere for over a year I realized that those minuscule raises and bonuses were almost nothing compared to the hours I put in daily. But, I must admit, at the time, I really thought that I was being treated fairly. The culture has to be one of the most restrictive aspects of FI. I worked in a department that was expected to be “high-energy” but was often scolded for “having too much fun” or not being as focused as I could be. There is absolutely no personal development or L&D opportunities at FI. There is no emphasis on growing team members because they don’t want to invest in people if they’re going to leave in a year or two. Unfortunately, this creates a down hill spiral and people leave because there is no investment in their growth or future. The reason I left FI was because of unequal pay between men and women. After being a top-performer (we were ranked weekly and stats were sent out to the team) for almost a year, I learned from my male coworkers that myself and another female coworker were earning a smaller bonus than the men on our team. During my exit interview I shared this with the HR professional and when I was packing up my box to leave the HR professional shared this information with my GVP that was standing feet away from me. Not only could I see the name on his desk phone, but I could hear the conversation over his headset. I’m so thankful for where I am now that I can’t regret working at FI. But, I promise you, you will be so much happier working somewhere else. I still feel so bad for all of my friends that work there that don’t know any better (FI was their first job out of college). It is incredibly sad that a company like FI can treat its employees with so little respect and gratitude. If you have the opportunity, please do yourself a favor and go somewhere else!

Advice to Management

Take a moment and listen to what your employees need and want. Invest in people and individual growth if you want a strong and dedicated team.

The more Kool-Aid you drink the happier you will be!

Former Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You know what your job is and they definitely know how to measure how you perform for the most part.

Cons

Management is young and managed from a place of fear.

Great company for anyone looking for work in the financial sector

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

Room for growth, high focus on teaching, open working environment.

Cons

Worked there part time for the Summer, so compensation was kind of low.

Great training, horrible culture, terrible pay, decent benefits.

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

Training. The training and room for growth is phenomenal. Two weeks of intensive training, as well as an ongoing mentor. There is no lack of tenured employees willing to help.

Cons

The culture is horrible. It's a boy's club, sharky, and hard to get in with the "cool crowd." It's very hierarchical. You can tell who goes out with the boss on weekends while they talk about their Tinder matches. If you are senior, you don't mean anything to the boss. If you are a woman, good luck being taken seriously.
    THE PAY - seriously... $30k base in the Silicon Valley? They pay the same to the folks doing the same job in Camas, where that would be equivalent to about $50k here. No food, no drinks, no catered lunches. Catch up with the times... we are in the Bay Area, try to compete a little.

Advice to Management

Include everyone in your weekend debauchery or STOP talking about it at work. Stop letting top performers get away with having a horrible attitude and paying all of your attention to them. Understand that women are capable of success too. Don't let the guys talk about their weekend "conquests" off of Tinder and allow for more of a professional work environment.

Great place to have a long career

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent company for building a career. Growing business with growing career and earnings opportunities. Love that performance is the key for advancement.

Cons

Expect to work hard. People looking for a short work week or who want a raise without doing the work should look elsewhere.

Junior Associate

Former Employee - Junior Associate in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with my colleagues and my managers while I was at Fisher. Everyone, particularly my managers, were always kind and easy to talk to.

Cons

The position lack my needs to learn from the job and the opportunity for growth. As a college student seeking to expand my skill sets, I felt as if the position consisted of a lot of cold calling and random office work.

Advice to Management

I wish I could have had a mentor to meet with who could have shown me and allowed me to contribute to some of the day to day activities within the firm.

RSS Feed </> Embed