Fisher Investments Reviews

93 reviews filtered by
  • San Mateo, CA
Fisher Investments Founder, Chairman and CEO Ken Fisher
Ken Fisher

The more Kool-Aid you drink the happier you will be!

Former Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You know what your job is and they definitely know how to measure how you perform for the most part.

Cons

Management is young and managed from a place of fear.

2. Metric-based, bureaucratic environment with LOTS of Kool-Aid drinking

Former Employee - Investment Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Associate in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- If first job out of college, could be a good place to learn "basic professional skills"
    - The more Kool-Aid you drink, the better you're viewed at the firm
    - Benefits are fabulous and extremely rich (with little out of pocket payment)
    - 401K match is generous (50%), but need to stay 3 years to fully vest

Cons

- Management is young and inexperienced; provides little guidance. Really isn't their fault since it all starts up top at the CEO level, then trickles down slowly
    - Tons of politics
    - Fear driven environment, always looking over shoulder
    - Raises are few & far between, really depends on how firm is doing

Advice to Management

Although not your fault, understand where your associates are coming from and don't be so quick to point fingers. More often than not, NOT pointing fingers is the best way to solve things.

3. Great company for anyone looking for work in the financial sector

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

Room for growth, high focus on teaching, open working environment.

Cons

Worked there part time for the Summer, so compensation was kind of low.

Great training, horrible culture, terrible pay, decent benefits.

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

Training. The training and room for growth is phenomenal. Two weeks of intensive training, as well as an ongoing mentor. There is no lack of tenured employees willing to help.

Cons

The culture is horrible. It's a boy's club, sharky, and hard to get in with the "cool crowd." It's very hierarchical. You can tell who goes out with the boss on weekends while they talk about their Tinder matches. If you are senior, you don't mean anything to the boss. If you are a woman, good luck being taken seriously.
    THE PAY - seriously... $30k base in the Silicon Valley? They pay the same to the folks doing the same job in Camas, where that would be equivalent to about $50k here. No food, no drinks, no catered lunches. Catch up with the times... we are in the Bay Area, try to compete a little.

Advice to Management

Include everyone in your weekend debauchery or STOP talking about it at work. Stop letting top performers get away with having a horrible attitude and paying all of your attention to them. Understand that women are capable of success too. Don't let the guys talk about their weekend "conquests" off of Tinder and allow for more of a professional work environment.

Junior Associate

Former Employee - Junior Associate in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with my colleagues and my managers while I was at Fisher. Everyone, particularly my managers, were always kind and easy to talk to.

Cons

The position lack my needs to learn from the job and the opportunity for growth. As a college student seeking to expand my skill sets, I felt as if the position consisted of a lot of cold calling and random office work.

Advice to Management

I wish I could have had a mentor to meet with who could have shown me and allowed me to contribute to some of the day to day activities within the firm.

Inmates Running the Asylum

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

• A paycheck.
    • Convenient location right off the freeway, close to shopping.
    • Fisher pays for your medical/dental/vision benefits 100% and has great matching.
    • Don’t believe the hype about the dress code. I’ve seen some “creative” interpretations of “semi-corporate dress.”
    • Loads of training.
    • You get to watch some beautiful sunrises.
    • You will walk out of here with thicker skin than an elephant. There is a running “joke” at Fisher that your skills will not transfer when you leave this place, but I know I am a stronger, calmer person because I worked here.

Cons

• “Excel spreadsheets and duct tape.”
    • Why a mandatory 50-hour work week? Why?
    • *Never* assume managers know what they are talking about. If stuff blows up due to their bad decisions, you’d better get comfortable under the bus, because that’s exactly where you’ll be thrown. Often.
    • “It's on fire!” is not a strategy.
    • You will simultaneously be micromanaged and scolded to be more independent.
    • Mass Stockholm Syndrome.
    • Be ready to set off political landmines for the simplest of tasks and take the heat thereof.
    • Constant worry in the Bay Area offices about how long Fisher intends to maintain their current California staffing levels.
    • The parking situation. Yep.
    • Got an e-mail to send outside the firm? Good luck – your manager must screen it first.
    • If you work in IT, an AOL account is not something to be proud of.
    • The Woodside office is downright creepy. Every wall is hermetically plastered with framed articles, magazine covers, letters, etc. all singing the praises of Ken. Seeing as how you have to drive up a mountain in the woods to get to that office, it’s no wonder people refer to Fisher Investments as a cult.

Advice to Management

1) Fisher’s obsession with monitoring and manipulating their public/internet image solves none of their real issues. The truth will always come out.
    2) Constantly hinting that we’d have a better life if we transferred to the Camas office does nothing to help employees who have real reasons they need to stay in California.
    3) Nuke from orbit.

Investment Counselor

Former Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay. Your pay will increase once every market cycle. This will happen for the whole group that you are within. The firm age discriminates and will not hire people who are more than 10 years out of college.

Cons

Intense work overview. No work life balance. You will work 50 hours a week every week. Frequently you will be brought into a fishbowl to be scolded for human error. The environment is more like a bee hive than a professional work environment.

Advice to Management

Increase the professionalism and education amongst the employees and hire people who know what they are talking about vs. only having theoretical knowledge.

Fisher Investments Response

Nov 5, 2014VP of Content Management

This review is nonsense. The poster, who has the luxury of never identifying him or herself, makes the claim that Fisher “age discriminates and will not hire people who are more than 10 years out of ... More

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited commissions! People who work hard can get paid six figures within their first year. Management rewards work ethic and people that are willing to learn.

Cons

Management is sometimes set on their ways... difficult to change the culture of the environment.

Advice to Management

I would like to see management be more open-minded to some of the more tenured AE's ideas. They've been doing the role for a long time and understand the other AE's thoughts and concerns.

Very flexible and good to employees - Room to grow

Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for new and long term employees to move into different departments. Hard work and success allows you to run small teams and ability to manage larger groups if you desire. Incredible training programs if you decide to move throughout the firm. Fantastic benefits with solid 401k plan. Compensation is great for longer term employees and good for newer employees. The firm messaging is usually very clear and direct. Managers are approachable and will get you answers if they can't tell you on the spot. Camas location is new well designed and comfortable.

Cons

San Mateo location older but still ok. Longer hours but this is normal at Fisher or at Intel. They offer different hours for most departments if requested. Some departments are quiet and lower energy and some higher energy make sure to find your home and you will do well and excel. This industry in general is long hours and this company demands quality work and it can be hard on those with thin skin.

Advice to Management

Fisher Investments does a great job for clients and is clear they come first. Having the senior members stop in and say hello to long time employees or new employees this goes a long way. Summer and winter BBQ social lunch one or two times a year would be nice to meet other people in other departments.

Hard work pays off

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked at Fisher Investments for almost 8 years, and I have held different roles at the firm, working with almost all departments at the firm, in one way or another. One thing I can tell you from experience, is that if you are willing to work hard, be open minded, do well with constructive criticism, (i.e., you WANT to get better), and you want to personally succeed; you will have a bright future here. Now, on to some of the "Pros":

-Excellent Benefits package (the healthcare benefits and 401k are top notch here!)
    -Meritocracy: You are rewarded for doing a good job, and adding value to the company is recognized and rewarded
    -Promote from within: FI likes to hire from within, and rewards people who have done a good job in their current role
    -Work/Life balance: We are in finance, right? Instead of working 70-80 hour weeks, most work under 50 hours total, we get weekends off, and the firm encourages time to "recharge" and use our PTO days.
    -Management is always available: No corner offices means that your boss (or your bosses boss) is just a quick walk over if you want to chat
    -Environment: FI attracts great talent. Not only are there amazingly talented people at the firm, the PEOPLE are mostly fun, and great to work with.

Cons

-FI is very "by the book" meaning internal changes sometimes take a while. However, I have learned that patience pays off.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the in-person Senior Management talks with employees, as this resonates with us and provides insight into what we are doing, and where we are going.

Fisher Investments Photos