Fisher/Unitech

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Charles Hess

Great people. Not so great pay.

Support Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsWe sell and support Technology which is changing the world, and it's awesome to be able to say that. The company culture is relaxed, tension is low among employees, and micro-management is low (for mid-management.). Management is (as a rule) very good at hiring young, easy-going, progressive people. This is a nice place to work.

ConsChange is a 4-letter word here. New employees should prepare to see very little substantive progress. Salaries are acceptable for non-degreed employees; very low for Engineers. Benefits are not at all noteworthy, and dwindling. In my experience, employees are attracted to the culture and simply settle for everything else.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are what is holding the company back. Stop comparing this company to the arbitrary benchmark of it's "peers". Stand up, and be noticed! Be the new standard to which they all aspire.

When you justify health insurance reductions with "everyone in the industry is struggling with Obamacare too", we hear that "Fisher/Unitech is no better than everyone in the industry"; might as well stop right there. Do not be content that F/U salaries are "in-line with the industry average"; be the company that raises the average! Perhaps other VARs are headquartered in nondescript office buildings, all the more reason to make ours stand out!
    Do not continue to hide amid a sea of competition; resolve to lead the industry!

Or better yet - You've already surrounded yourself with creative, intelligent, optimistic, progressive, and responsible employees; empower them to take the reigns!

Company leadership is it's own worst enemy.

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood work-life balance. I have a flexible schedule, that I honestly wish was more demanding. The customer base as a positive impression about the services provided by Fisher/Unitech, leading to mostly enjoyable customer visits and sales calls.

Cons- primary product (Solidworks 3d CAD) is facing market saturation, yet quota has gone up on that product by 50% in the last three years
    - sales training on new products coming out is non-existent
    - company has not hired the technical resources to support some of our strategic products.
    - leadership spends countless hours micromanaging reps about business that's already in the funnel, and almost no time developing a responsible strategy to add more business to the funnel.
    - very tactical/ short term thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to deploy a new business plan that includes 35% YOY sales growth, have a well thought out strategic plan on how that is going to happen. Every sales rep on your payroll would like to increase his commissions by 35%, so your team is 100% behind you on that part. What you need to do, as a leadership team, is come up with the plan on where that growth is going to come from, and how we will tap into that revenue stream.

Clearly, you thought it could be done, or you wouldn't have presented the business plan, Right? RIGHT?

Solid Company

ProsPlenty of opportunity for growth and empowerment. Office culture is positive and relaxed. Really enjoy flex time.

ConsOn-boarding process is improving, but still needs improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep the good work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Troy, MI

Pros5pm work day end. That's it.

ConsWhat an awful place to work. The leadership and management is practically nonexistent if you're looking for guidance. They'd rather tell you after the fact that you made mistakes rather than offer feedback and support during the task. And with no HR rep there is no one to tell about this lack of support.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. Be actual managers and give your employees actual guidance. Get an HR rep to keep things in check and provide oversight.

Experience required not commensurate with payscale

Applications Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people with knowledgeable staff

ConsNowhere to go up and can be harmful to resume for degreed engineer

Good Job, bad benefits, learn as you go

ProsGood sales process, management team is very friendly

ConsLimited help and support. Learn as you go. Some markets supported more than others which leads to less commissions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure each market is supported equally

Company Profile

Business Development Manager (Current Employee) Troy, MI

ProsLarge company with small company atmosphere. You basically control you own market and determine income.

ConsSalary is a little low for the industry. I have heard that F/U is on the low side of paying their sales force.

A lot of turnover

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Troy, MI

ProsThe non-managers were great to work with.

ConsA lot of turnover. It is like a revolving door.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep back and take a look at how your company is run, and how happy your employees are.

Growing company that cares

ProsResponsive management; fiscally responsible and makes good decisions

ConsReseller, so everything about the software is not in their control. Much responsibility lies with the software manufacturers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the health insurance strong and you'll have loyal employees

Worked for Fisher/Unitech? Contribute to the Community!